1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

WTS: 1974 FJ40, The Blue Mule

Discussion in 'Buy / Sell / Trade' started by ScooterFJ40, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Sep 4, 2012 at 8:20 PM
    ScooterFJ40

ScooterFJ40 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    74 FJ40 Crawler Monster
    I know it's not a Tacoma, but it's a wild Yota!

The Blue Mule:

Under the hood: Fully rebuilt 1980 vintage 2F (full valve job on head; 10K over bored; new pistons/rings/bearings, etc. less than 5K miles on rebuild. RV cam, JimC rebuilt Aisin carb, header with new exhaust, HEI distributor with full electronic ignition and hi-perf plug wires, gear reduction starter, new fuel pump, liquid heat riser, all new heater and radiator hoses, radiator cleaned and pressure tested, new battery. The engine rebuild was worth over $1,000, the HEI distributor was $475 the carb was $300

Drivetrain: HD Marlin clutch disc/pressure plate/throw out bearing; new master & slave cylinder; H41 Australian low first gear 4 speed transmission with Orion dual stick 4-1 transfer case; new CV joint style drive shafts front & rear. The tranny is worth $1000, the transfer case was $1500 and the driveshafts were $400 each. *I just had the rear driveshaft completely rebuilt by Drivetrain Industries in Commerce City; it has less than 150 miles on it.

Steering: Saginaw steering gear conversion & power steering pump setup. High steer 6 stud knuckles with HD DOM arms; FJ80 tie rod ends; steering stabilizer; all new knuckle & axle bearings & seals. The Saginaw steering conversion and all of the upgraded steering components were $2000.

Suspension & Axles: Spring over suspension with Alcan springs; ProComp shocks; shackle reversed; FJ60 axles relocated 1.5" forward in front and 1.5" backwards in rear; gusseted and braced; Longfield chromoly axles up front; 4.88 gears front & rear; ARB lockers front & rear; new disc brakes front & rear; new wheel bearings & Marlin super seals; rear axle traction bar; FJ80 disc master cylinder. All of the brake upgrades, axles, lockers, suspension parts, etc are worth $3000 for each axle so $6000 total

Exterior: Redline custom DOM stinger/winch/front end/hood guard; Warn 8274 winch; Hella offroad lights; Big Eye front headlight conversion; 75 style turn indicators; Redline HD fully sheeted custom DOM tube fenders; integrated Redline DOM sliders; integrated Redline DOM rear tube fenders with flares tied into HD rear bumper with jerry can mount; swing out spare tire mount; trailer receiver hitch; dual D ring mounts front & rear. I have also created a new license plate holder and interagted an LED light kit. The exterior upgrades and armor are worth $2000

Interior: Stock dash is intact, uncut and everything works except the OEM oil pressure gauge; after market oil pressure gauge; new dash pad; grab bar; tachometer; ARB HD compressor with onboard air 2.5 gallon tank; Redline full DOM rollcage with seat cradle; Corbeau Moab bucket seats; lockable steel center console; CB radio; Bestop soft top in very good condition (2 small cracked areas in vinyl window material), 2 piece Bestop soft doors; fire extinguisher. The top, interior, compressor, seats, rollcage, etc is easily worth $2000

Body: This rig had the usual rust spots around the rear sill and on the rear quarter and rocker panels. I installed Aqualu diamond plate aluminum panels on the back half of the tub, replaced the tailgate and the entire rig is painted with Rustoleum Harbor Blue spray paint. All other sheet metal is straight and solid.

Tires & Wheels: 37" IROK radials with 80% tread mounted on 17" MRW beadlocks; internally balanced
    MRW beadlocks are $250 each and the IROK radials are close to $300 each

There's $20,000 in parts alone: that doesn't count any of the blood, sweat, and tears that have gone into making such an amazing vehicle.

I'm listing the FJ40 at $13,750, the price is rather firm seeing that I just put that new driveshaft in.

My primary trade consideration: 1994-2002 Dodge 2500 (maybe a 3500) with a Cummins 12 or 24 valve turbo diesel.

Secondary Trades: Toyota Tundra/ Tacoma/ BJ70/ FJ45, BMW F800GS, Harley Nightster, newer model GMC/ Chevy Silverado/ Sierra, VW GTI (06 or newer), newer snowmobile/ dirt bike, etc.

Feel free to give me an offer of something I might have not mentioned!

Please call me at (720)-480-1300; if I'm unable to get to my phone please leave a message with your name and a phone number that you can be reached at, I'll call you back as soon as I can.

Thanks,
    -Hadyn

Products Discussed in

To Top