1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

X-Runner vs Prerunner diff question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rwcfrank, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Oct 27, 2010 at 9:24 AM
    rwcfrank

rwcfrank [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Prerunner
    Can anyone tell me if the differential housing is different on the X-runner vs the Prerunner? I think the X is a 5 lug and has mounts for a sway bar welded to the housing but is there anything else on the exterior? I am going to try and mount a Xrunner rear sway bar to my Prerunner to help with heavy high loads in the bed. Any info is greatly apreciated. I am aware of the Hellwig but I can get the Xrunner bar for next to nothing.

2. Oct 27, 2010 at 9:37 AM
    yosh2000

yosh2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tundra CM 5.7
    a guy by the name of mpower on ttora.com is selling a custom rear sway bar that will fit your prerunner no problems..i'de check that out...

im having a good day, so i'll pass it on.... ...

3. Oct 27, 2010 at 9:44 PM
    rwcfrank

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Prerunner
    Thanks Yosh, thats the xrunner frame stiffener, I am looking for a sway bar but now you have me thinking................

4. Oct 27, 2010 at 9:45 PM
    yosh2000

yosh2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tundra CM 5.7
    xrunners have a rear sway bar?! how stiff are you trying to make your truck...it is a truck, and prerunner none the less, afterall...!

5. Oct 28, 2010 at 2:21 AM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    the sway bar is mounted to the frame, the endlinks bolt up to a tab thats riveted to the frame. also the swaybar itself is mounted to the axle...a pic would best explain how.

it's not as easy as it seems, ive been researching how to do that for awhile now...

and for the x-brace it siffens the frame, and you go offroading idk how thats gonna be a good thing. the x-brace that yosh posted a link to is an aftermarket one, you can pick up an OEM one for around the same price. that is only the rear one though, there are also two front pieces that bolt up to the front by the trans crosmember.

6. Oct 28, 2010 at 7:31 AM
    rwcfrank

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Prerunner
    The sway bar will help with keeping the truck level through turns. I dont off road and if I did I would disconnect the links anyway. Rear sway bars make a huge difference in handling.

Products Discussed in

To Top