1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Xm radio adapter

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Mulligann, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Jul 5, 2019 at 9:45 PM
    Mulligann

Mulligann [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hakeim
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma
    I have a 2012 4 door Toyota Tacoma TRD sport. I recently replace the stock radio with a kenwood after market (DDX6706s) head unit. I’m trying to use my stock antenna but can’t seem to find the part number for the adapter that would like me use the stock antenna. Is it the sTO1 or sTO2 maybe the tss Lexus GS shark fin adapter SFA 12m?

2. Jul 5, 2019 at 10:12 PM
    DaveB.inVa

DaveB.inVa Well-Known Member

Member:
    SWVa
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC SR5 4x4 V6 AT MGM
    Oil Catch Can, OIl Pressure and Temp Gauges, Falken Wildpeak A/T3W 265/70R16
    You may need to contact someone from Metra or Crutchfield, they've both been helpful in my experience. Metra makes some of the adapters and have techs that you can email. I think its a Fakra type plug but I'm not sure.

For what it's worth, the XM cable is RG174, just a small coax cable. I spliced mine to a 6" RG174 pigtail with an SMB female connector so it would stay snapped into the SXV300 box.

RG174 is a pain to splice since it's such a small cable but mine has been working fine for the past nearly 5 years.

TnShooter and 12TRDTacoma like this.
  3. Jul 5, 2019 at 10:42 PM
    Mulligann

Member:
    First Name:
    Hakeim
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma
    Thanks DaveB. I’ll have to contact someone. I’m hoping it’s just a plug and play deal.

4. Jul 17, 2019 at 1:44 PM
    Topher_Taco

Topher_Taco Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Double Cab with Long Bed TRD Sport
    Did you find out anything from crutchfield?

5. Jul 17, 2019 at 1:44 PM
    Topher_Taco

Topher_Taco Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Double Cab with Long Bed TRD Sport
    Can you please post or PM a diagram of your setup

6. Jul 17, 2019 at 1:56 PM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    I spliced into mine as well using a standard XM antenna plug, it was sort of annoying since the wiring was thin as previously stated, but it worked out good, that was nearly 4 years ago and to this day it still works great.

DaveB.inVa[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Jul 19, 2019 at 9:48 PM
    DaveB.inVa

DaveB.inVa Well-Known Member

Member:
    SWVa
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC SR5 4x4 V6 AT MGM
    Oil Catch Can, OIl Pressure and Temp Gauges, Falken Wildpeak A/T3W 265/70R16
    There's really not much to it. You find the existing XM plug that goes into the rear of the factory radio and cut the end off. Then buy a pigtail that has a SMB type end on it. Cut the opposite end of the pigtail off and make a coax splice.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Radio-...SXV100-SXV300-Satellite-Antenna-/152833641781

Attached is a link showing the type of connector you're looking for. It's the metal end that snaps into the XM SXV300 box. The SXV300 then plugs into the aftermarket receiver.

When I couldn't find the correct adapter that's all I did. It is totally possible to buy those ends and make your own end, but it's a fine wire and is difficult enough to splice. I didn't think I could put that end on the factory RG174 cable. Plus it adds a little length to the cable making working with the installation a lot easier. The pigtail I used was only 4" long by the time you make cutbacks and I wish I had bought at least 12".

You can read up online how to do a coax splice. The big thing to remember is to keep the shield and the center core wire separate and you're golden. You'll cutback the outer sheath and pull the shield back, then cutback part of the core wire insulation to expose a length of the core wire. Twist them together in a Western Union type splice and solder it together. Reinsulate the core, you can use electrical tape or the liquid insulating electrical tape works good. Try to get the shields from each side back together and solder them together, then reinsulate the whole thing. You'll likely not be able to get the shield to just easily slide back over what you just did but will pull it off to the side and twist it together Western Union style and solder it, then insulating everything.

Without the shield all the way around the splice it will be a little lossy, but it's a short length and won't be enough to really bother performance. Mine looks horrible and it operates fine. The big thing is keeping the core and shield apart.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  8. Jul 21, 2019 at 3:11 PM
    Mulligann

Member:
    First Name:
    Hakeim
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma
    Thanks a bunch. This was the most informative and detailed response I’ve seen on any thread. Thanks DavebinVa.

Products Discussed in

To Top