1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

XM Satellite Radio -- Did you keep it?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 3beeps, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Jun 11, 2012 at 1:03 AM
    3beeps

3beeps [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD 4x4 DoubleCab Long Bed
    Just curious to see how many of you kept the satellite radio if you got the free trial in your truck?

I wasn't too impressed with it. This was the first vehicle that ever had it, but I was extremely disappointed with how much it went out (cloudy days, going under overpasses, etc...).

The XM Sales lady called me and I told her flat out it was junk, and she got pissed...

Anyone else experience the same?

2. Jun 11, 2012 at 1:14 AM
    khx73

khx73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saint John NB, CAN
    Vehicle:
    11 MGM DCLB TRD Sport +leather
    Rear camera anytime switch, 4x4 Illuminated Switch (from rcbs204) , rear view mirror lift bracket (from ImMrYo), 75 cent tailgate anti-theft. Technically not mods but give me a break I'm trying to fill space here... OEM Leather pkg, keyless unlock & ACC chime silence, BakFlip G2, Ultra Gauge EM, WeatherTech floor mats, OEM roof rack
    Hell ya I did... When the 3 month free ran out, it took less than 2 days of torture with local radio until I whipped out the visa for XM.
    Fade out sucks in around tall buildings, but for my drive that isn't an issue.

3. Jun 11, 2012 at 3:36 AM
    MSU Spartan

MSU Spartan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mid Michigan
    Vehicle:
    '12 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    I drive a lot of miles for work. I couldn't live without it now.

4. Jun 11, 2012 at 4:25 AM
    tpr676

tpr676 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yes, can't deal with commercials. And when xm/sirus starts to so they will also go.

5. Jun 11, 2012 at 4:28 AM
    Goldstar225

Goldstar225 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Central Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2011 Pre-runner SR5 4X2
    I listened to it occasionally while it was free but I don't miss it. between my local stations and CD's I'm content.

6. Jun 11, 2012 at 4:38 AM
    thairannosaurus

thairannosaurus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    12 Prerunner V6 Sport
    Bakflip HD Tonneau Cover, Weathertech Digi Mats, Weathertech Window Visors, Linex-lined AVID Lightbar, Yellow Fog Lights, Volant CAI w/ scoop, Pop and lock tailgate lock, debadged
    i did. granted it's not a gift from heaven, it's SOOOO much better than regular radio. less commercials, more options and i don't have to hear the same 10 songs over and over and over. plus, i drive a lot so it's definitely worth it for me. not to mention the xm lady bumped my subscription price from 12 to 7 for joining up asap after my trial ended so it's not like i'm paying something ridiculous for it.

7. Jun 11, 2012 at 5:03 AM
    Canazes9

Canazes9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '07 Dbl Cab TRD Sport / '12 Dbl Cab Offroad
    I had it in my old truck and liked it, but I don't plan on paying for it in the new truck. They are a bit like AOL if you decide you want to get rid of it - they keep coming back...

For what you're spending on XM/Satellite you can download a LOT of songs to an I-POD/I-Phone over time. You own the music, can listen to it wherever you want and you control the flip.

David

8. Jun 11, 2012 at 5:08 AM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    The radio stations around here are pretty decent and I have well over 4500 MP3 music files on a flash drive, so there's always plenty to listen to. Further, I don't like paying for something (radio, tv, or whatever) I can get for free. Sirius wanted roughly $15 per month, about $180 per year. I can do a lot more with that $180. Based on all that, I also let XM satellite radio go when the free trial expired.

Update (June 12): Just got a letter today from Sirius offering a 50% discount (for a limited time). Still not interested.

-

9. Jun 11, 2012 at 5:56 AM
    PaintDrinkingPete

PaintDrinkingPete Well-Known Member

Member:
    NoVA
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    I'm still in my 90-day trial, but I plan on keeping it. While I agree (to a degree) with what a lot of the folks here say about the music and being able to get the same thing for free, I happen to use enjoy a lot of the news/talk stations, and listen to a lot of the live sports broadcasts as well...and those things, while I could probably live without if I had to, aren't exactly available elsewhere. I love being able to tune in to football, MLB, and NHL games when I'm on the road and can't watch on TV.

In my old 2005 Tacoma, I actually installed my own aftermarket receiver with Sirius. When I installed, the recommended location for the antennae on a "pickup truck" was centered directly above the windshield towards the front of the vehicle. Unless I was in a tunnel or parking garage, I almost NEVER lost a signal, so I am a bit surprised just how often I do lose the signal in my new 2012 Tacoma with a factory installed XM radio antennae (which of course is also placed near the rear of the vehicle as it is in most passenger cars...but I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not).

Bottom line, I'm probably gonna keep it. I'm already hooked, and make quite a few trips from my home near Washington, DC into the mountains of WV, where clear radio stations are few and far between during the trip. I do wish it was cheaper, but the Sirius/XM merger probably killed any chances of that happening due to lack of competition -- none the less, I do feel like I use it enough that it is worth paying for.

10. Jun 11, 2012 at 6:04 AM
    CrewCab

CrewCab Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC Prerunner SR5 Nautical Blue
    16x8 Moto Metal 951, 265/70/16 BFG Rugged Terrain T/A's,Chrome door handles, Toyota door sill protectors, 13" antenna
    I enjoy it but not sure it I really want to pay for it. While it is a little better without all the commercials I do hear a lot of the same songs all the time, no where near as much as regular radio but they do it too. If they will give me a good package deal for the truck and my wife's car I may keep it. If not I will go back to regular radio and downloaded songs.

11. Jun 11, 2012 at 6:21 AM
    Devux

Devux The StarMan

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner
    Stone stock.
    I didn't get a 90-day trial when I bought my Taco last year, my mum had it for a while on her Chevy HHR, there are only three or four channels that interest me, so nothing I would ever pay for. Don't see the point with the AUX input anyway. I'll be the DJ :headbang:

12. Jun 11, 2012 at 6:29 AM
    Glocker23

Glocker23 Drive fast take chances

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    Debadged, Tonneau cover, Grillcraft MX grill, OKLED 20" light bar in grill, Aero AT2525 muffler
    I am still in trial. I will prob get it but will def negotiate. Better price. And will let the trial end prior to getting it. A friend of mine waited and haggled and got it for 5 a month. Fairly recently too. Will Def get it at that price.

13. Jun 12, 2012 at 6:42 AM
    LizellaFella

LizellaFella Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Lizella Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2016 4 Runner SR5
    I presently have it in my 2012, but I seldom listen to it. With the blue tooth capability, I stream Pandora and have even fewer commercials than satellite. Hell, I haven't listened to a local radio station yet. Even took the antennae off.

14. Jun 12, 2012 at 6:52 AM
    PaintDrinkingPete

PaintDrinkingPete Well-Known Member

Member:
    NoVA
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    Not to get all doomsday paranoid and such, but I'd probably want to make sure I can tune in to terrestrial radio in the event of an emergency. You never know when the zombie apocalypse will start!

(Seriously though, I wouldn't want to be in the dark if the $#*& did hit the fan)

15. Jun 12, 2012 at 7:05 AM
    Cypherian

Cypherian Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mid Atlantic Region
    Vehicle:
    2011 Dbl Cab TRD Sport
    Yeah I got it for free and as the saying goes you get what you pay for.... I did not renew it I live in the country IE alot of trees and don't do enough traveling in open areas to get anything out of it so it was useless for me.

Cypher

16. Jun 12, 2012 at 7:51 AM
    Skycam3

Skycam3 Waiting to see...

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    Flyzeye, Redline hood struts, Demello Sliders, Pelly wrap around light bar, Roll-N-Lock tonneau cover, 2 Hella 700FF, DIY LED light bar(10,000 lumes), LED bed lights.
    Pandora is commercial free for something like $36 a year...and no Howard Stern. XM called for two months after the trial expired until I finally told them that bluetooth and Pandora or IHeartRadio was what I listened to. That stopped the annoying calls.

17. Jun 12, 2012 at 11:21 AM
    Snake~

Snake~ Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB TRD Sport
    Autolumination Yellow fog light bulbs, Dynomax Ultra Flo muffler, AFE Pro Dry S air filter, tailgate security mods, TRD skid plate, DeeZee bed mat, Armor Lid tonneau, OEM roof rack, TRD center caps, Satoshi grille, Sockmonkey tailgate decal
    I kept it but only because XM hasn't cut off the service after the trial period ended. I've had it for over 2 years free of charge. But I rarely use it anyway - my wife likes it though. I'm either listening to mp3s thru my phone or local sports talk radio.

18. Jun 12, 2012 at 1:09 PM
    getfit74

getfit74 Member

Member:
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma TRD DC Sport
    Westin Bull Bar, Weather Tech Floor mats, Weather Tech Vent Visors
    First truck I've ever had with it. I like it but just not enough to pay for it and it seems to go out if I even get close to a tree. I'll just stick with Pandora, it's free and I can skip songs whenever.

19. Jun 12, 2012 at 1:14 PM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    I let it go after the trial. I only listened to a couple of stations and it just wasn't worth it to me to pay for it. I wouldn't mind trying the backseat tv but you have to have the radio package to get it. Not paying for all that.

20. Jun 12, 2012 at 1:36 PM
    Gincoma

Gincoma Special Edition Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City UT
    Vehicle:
    RIPieces 2005 Tacoma, adios 2011 :'(
    Factory Monster Truck Package with reverse gear.
    $25 for 6 months I couldnt pass that up so I kept it...

Products Discussed in

To Top