1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Xrunner tire recommendation

Discussion in 'X-Runners' started by leo07663, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Apr 14, 2017 at 6:16 AM
    leo07663

leo07663 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jon
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma Xrunner
    Radio, HID's, Home Link Mirror.
    Can anyone chime in on what tires they use on their xrunners? Time for me to replace them but wondering what works. Also, if i choose a 103 rated tire, will that be good enough for it?

2. Apr 16, 2017 at 6:28 PM
    kcidmil

kcidmil Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Roy, UT
    Vehicle:
    2005 Custom X-Runner
    So many I've forgotten them all
    I'm running BFG Supersport AS. But I live in Utah and need a decent all season. Next set I'm going with is a Continental Extreme Contact. But I'll be changing wheels out and running a 285/40 in the back.

3. Sep 28, 2019 at 5:22 PM
    Waasheem

Waasheem The catholic radio bear

Member:
    First Name:
    Waasheem
    Vehicle:
    2007 xrunner
    Seems odd to me that there would be so little activity to this post. Tires is such a huge factor regarding how a vehicle performs, more so on a vehicle that has decent cornering capability. I have these tires and can take an average 90 degree corner at this speed without breaking traction would be a helpful reply. I bought mine used with goodyear rs-a rears and michelin pilot sport a/s3 fronts. I can't say I've tested but guessing anything above 25 the rear will break traction. Michelin I've seen many with dry rotted side walls with plenty of tread left so I personally would never buy them. Those goodyears seem to break traction very easily on the painted line or wet pavement.

4. Sep 28, 2019 at 5:25 PM
    Matmo215

Matmo215 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Waco, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Sport DCSB
    From what I’ve heard the Michellin Cup sport 2’s are the best performance street tire

5. Oct 7, 2019 at 3:00 PM
    jz123

jz123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    j
    Vehicle:
    11' tacoma
    Can’t go wrong with BFG’s

6. Nov 13, 2019 at 4:38 PM
    Waasheem

Member:
    First Name:
    Waasheem
    Vehicle:
    2007 xrunner
    I used bfg’s on my last 2 cars, 87 el camino, 87 grand national. I think they were called ta radials. What I’d call a muscle car tire although the elco didn’t have any muscle from the 305. In the gn, if I rolled into boost they would hold most of the time.

I just picked up the xr from the tire shop, 4 new continental extreme contact sport tires. Immediately I discovered wheel hop. Driving through a parking lot where I would previously get a occasional accidental chirp, instead it kind of squeaked. They’re considered a summer performance tire so I’ll be happy if I get more than a year out of them.

7. Nov 16, 2019 at 6:56 AM
    pinktaco808

pinktaco808 Hot Steppa

Member:
    255 40 firelli

8. Jan 5, 2020 at 6:32 AM
    EdgemanVA

EdgemanVA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2008 X-Runner
    Several
    I decided to go away from the "summer performance tires" with my first tire change. I went with "all season" performance tires. My first set were Bridgestone (don't remember the model). My current set are Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires. Love the performance of both sets of tires. They don't grip quite as hard as the original factory tires, but they also don't wear out after 20K miles.

9. Jan 5, 2020 at 6:40 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks

A little more info on how you use the vehicle and what your desire for the tire's performance would be helpful.

Assuming it's a pavement pounder, there are 3 broad choices

Summer performance tires

All season (really 3 season, regardles of marketing snowflakes)

Winter tires.

Obviously everything is a compromise. Nothing does it all great. Although something may be great for how you use the vehicle.

Keep in mind that compounds are decent for about 2 years, and fade after that, and after 4-5 years are pretty worthless. So knowing your miles per year you can buy a tire that will be worn out in 2-3 years and be able to keep decent grip over the life of the tire. Tread depth only matters in wet, and how much tread is left isn't an indicator of available grip.

10. Jan 5, 2020 at 9:00 PM
    Waasheem

Member:
    First Name:
    Waasheem
    Vehicle:
    2007 xrunner
    I’ve had a set of continental extreme contact tires for a couple months now. Mixed city driving with a few 1 1/2 hour drives from one part to another part of the city, dry pavement, cold dewey mornings, rain. All situations they’ve held the road very well. I pushed them to see what happens taking a 90 degree turn at 35-40 mph, they squealed slightly and regained traction predictably. In the pouring rain, 85-90 is where I felt some hydroplaning, they’re grooved well enough to keep it minimized. If I side step the clutch launching hard, or put too much force on them over pavement marking paint then it will break traction.

I don’t use the xr to commute so I’ve probably put less than 1k miles on them. I average around 5k miles a year. I don’t pitch it sideways going into turns like when I was young, dumb, and full of gumption. I’ve barely worn the new tire nubs off. So it’s hard for me to say how they’re wearing.

On the highway they don’t wander or roar.

What I had existing were so old and brittle I was leaving chunks of rubber in my driveway from doing 3 point turns. I was going to wait for them to wear before replacing but, when I saw that I figured I’d better do it quickly.

11. May 24, 2024 at 9:33 PM
    HNL

HNL New Member

Member:
    I’m running BFG-FORCE COMP-2 All Season Tires 255/45ZR18 99W XL

Products Discussed in

To Top