1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Yakima Fairing

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by justinitsuj, May 7, 2012.

1. May 7, 2012 at 2:25 AM
    justinitsuj

justinitsuj [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Mills illest
    Debadged//blacked out//6" fabtech//stubby//spintech//thule//wet okoles//weathertech floor mats//
    Just curious but for those of you that are running the yakima Q tower roof racks or the thule racks, are you guys running the fairings with them? If so, can someone post pics of what it looks like on a second gen tacoma? Thanks!

2. May 17, 2012 at 8:12 PM
    Quaden

Quaden Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    Silver 07 TRD Sport
    Grillcraft grill, BHLM, Anytime Fog's, K&N CAI, Extra D-rings, 3" OME lift w/885 coils, top plate spacers and AAL in the rear. Yakima Roof rack Q-towers + fairing. SCS SR8 Wheels 285/70/17 Toyo Open Country AT2
    Here's the Yakima rack with Q-towers installed on my 2nd Gen. It just doesn't look right without the fairing.

tacoyak2.jpg
    tacoyak.jpg

Danny72 likes this.
  3. May 17, 2012 at 8:17 PM
    w8n4mud

w8n4mud I'm back.

Member:
    First Name:
    Albert
    Chula Vista, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Off Road DCSB
    Stock. Purchased 2/17/19. Cement!
    I agree. It looks better with it on there.

On another note, Quaden your truck looks good brother. You need a lower grillcraft though. That's the finishing touch.

4. May 17, 2012 at 8:34 PM
    Quaden

Quaden Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    Silver 07 TRD Sport
    Grillcraft grill, BHLM, Anytime Fog's, K&N CAI, Extra D-rings, 3" OME lift w/885 coils, top plate spacers and AAL in the rear. Yakima Roof rack Q-towers + fairing. SCS SR8 Wheels 285/70/17 Toyo Open Country AT2
    You know what....I think you're right. I completely forgot about the lower grill cause I used to have a front license plate on and it was in the way. Not anymore. I think I'll order it tomorrow.

5. May 17, 2012 at 8:38 PM
    w8n4mud

w8n4mud I'm back.

Member:
    First Name:
    Albert
    Chula Vista, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Off Road DCSB
    Stock. Purchased 2/17/19. Cement!
    :thumbsup: Picture or it didn't happen. lol.

BTW, I like your fairing. Hahaha

6. May 17, 2012 at 10:10 PM
    mytundra77

mytundra77 Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab Taco
    What size Fairing is that?

7. May 18, 2012 at 7:31 AM
    Quaden

Quaden Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    Silver 07 TRD Sport

It's the 44-inch fairing. Anything bigger wouldn't fit between the towers. And for anyone installing one of these-You don't need to be exact on the spacing specs- Just put in on there and make it look good. I moved the rear tower/rack back a bit.

8. May 18, 2012 at 7:53 AM
    kryten

kryten Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport DCSB 6MT 4x4
    1" lift from 3rd gen suspension, 265/75/16 ATs
    I have a Thule setup and I have the fairing on everytime. I does help with wind noise and it looks 100x better imo. The only downside is their price.

9. May 30, 2012 at 4:55 PM
    TacoDawgs

TacoDawgs Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Radiant Red DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    Front 5100s at 1.75. Rear TSB. LoRider tonneau cover. OEM bed mat. OEM bug deflector. Illuminated 4x4 switch. In cab AC outlets. 400W anytime. EGR in channel window visors. Black badges. Rear weathertech liners.
    Anybody have problems with noise from the fairing? I have installed the fairing on my Yakima rack according to the instructions, but anytime I go over 60 mph there is an annoying tapping sound on my roof. It's not consistent, just seems like anytime wind grabs it. At first I thought it was the rubber feet being grabbed by the wind and making the tapping sound. But when I pulled off the highway I realized they were completely snug on the roof (I actually had to peel them off the roof). I now think the noise is coming from the fairing rattling around in the brackets. The two middle brackets seem to be loose and I think wind is grabbing it and rattling it at highway speeds. I have added superglue to the two middle brackets (I just ran a line of superglue at the top and bottom, almost like a bead of caulk) so I'm gonna see if that helps. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem?

10. May 30, 2012 at 4:57 PM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    IF YOU GUYZ FLIP THE FAIRING OVER YOU DONT HAVE TO SEE THE YAKIMA NAME ON IT....

11. May 31, 2012 at 5:00 AM
    Quaden

Quaden Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    Silver 07 TRD Sport

Since installing mine I haven't had any noise issues at all. The fairing is tight on there but I can still move it by hand if needed. I'd just make sure your Q-towers are tight and all snapped into place correctly. -And turn up the radio.

12. May 31, 2012 at 5:10 AM
    TacoDawgs

TacoDawgs Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Radiant Red DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    Front 5100s at 1.75. Rear TSB. LoRider tonneau cover. OEM bed mat. OEM bug deflector. Illuminated 4x4 switch. In cab AC outlets. 400W anytime. EGR in channel window visors. Black badges. Rear weathertech liners.

The Q towers are definitely tight and so is the fairing. I think I've finally figured out the noise because even after the superglue it still makes the tapping sound. I think it is the ends of the fairing bending in the wind at highway speeds. I think the wind bends the ends so far that they make contact with the roof and make that tapping sound. Any suggestions on a fix?

13. May 31, 2012 at 10:51 AM
    Quaden

Quaden Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    Silver 07 TRD Sport
    What size fairing do you have on it? I could see if it's a longer piece that could happen or it might hit the towers/bar on there but the fairing I have doesn't have much play on the sides like that (44inch).
    If anything I'd say get someone to ride with you and stick their head out the window and look to see what's causing it.

Products Discussed in

To Top