1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Yakima vs OEM Racks

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by architectx, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Mar 11, 2013 at 12:26 PM
    architectx

architectx [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trey
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    Hey folks,

Brand new to the forum, and brand new Tacoma owner (as of Friday). So, I picked up a prerunner double cab, and it currently has a naked roof. I need to put racks on it ASAP. I'll carry one 14' paddle board (think light weight and skinny, in a board bag) at least several times a week from spring through fall. May travel with it from time to time.

I don't think I want to go the route of the Thule Xsporter, Trac Rac, or similar bed rail systems as I may eventually add a camper top. I could add one of the "goal post" types of hitch receiver racks if I must.

So the question comes down to the roof of the cab. My garage probably rivals Yakima's warehouse in terms of rack parts lying around. The only Yakima piece I'm lacking for the Tacoma would be the Q clips. I'm torn though - the OEM racks look good, and I suspect they'd be quieter than the Yakima stuff. The Yakima stuff could leave a little paint damage and the like. Then too, I like the potential for added width with the Yakima (two paddle boards side by side) and I know the Yakima stuff is usually pretty bomb proof.

So, what are the preferences here on the forum? Have folks found the Yakima stuff to fit well on the Tacomas, be leak free, and relatively quiet? Any big draw backs to the OEM racks?

Enlighten me...

Thanks!

2. Mar 11, 2013 at 12:37 PM
    PahalaTacoma

PahalaTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    I carry a 9' longboard, OEM rack with 810 SUP Taxi Paddleboard Carrier. Does the job. Good thing about the oem rack is the ease of folding it away.

Products Discussed in

To Top