1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Yakima Whisperbar in Factory Rails

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by honduraz10, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Mar 29, 2012 at 3:14 PM
    honduraz10

honduraz10 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nat
    DC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    I'm looking into installing a Yakima Whispbar system in the factory rails on my 07 DC. I've found the Whispbar Fit kit 500, which uses only one screw per foot so there shouldn't be any issues with hole spacing.

Here are the instructions for the mounting kit- http://www.rackattack.com/product-pages/product-pdf/yakima-whispbar-fit-kit-500-instructions.pdf

It looks like both the oem roof rack and this fit kit use m6 screws, so I think it should work pretty seamlessly.

Before I actually put money down on my experiment, does anyone have any input on whether or not they think this will work?

2. Mar 29, 2012 at 3:25 PM
    gpeet

gpeet Well-Known Member

Member:
    keep in mind how far apart the factory rack mounts are. I was going to go this route so I could use my roof box on occasion but the bars to too far apart for the accessory to fit on it. If you just want to carry a canoe or something then its not an issue

3. Mar 29, 2012 at 3:28 PM
    honduraz10

honduraz10 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nat
    DC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    I'm planning on using it for kayaks so I should be good. How far apart are the factory mounting holes?

4. Mar 30, 2012 at 3:38 PM
    gpeet

gpeet Well-Known Member

Member:
    I forget now but it was several inches wider then the max width on a Thule 1100 roof box. you can pull the strip out of the gutter pretty quick to look, it just pressure fits in there

5. Mar 31, 2012 at 11:05 AM
    montana slim

montana slim New Member

Member:
    Maple Valley, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 TRD Offroad
    What are you using to cradle the Kayaks with?

I just purchased a Snugtop Xtra Vision canopy (with the optional rail/track system) for my 07 DC and have been contemplating which rack and kayak cradle to go with.

Provided that Yakima makes a Whispbar in the right width of crossbar, I've been considering installing that in favor of the standard roundbars or square bars. I like the fact that the whispbar looks like nice flush OEM rack system and from what I can tell, can carry the same weight.

6. Mar 31, 2012 at 2:22 PM
    Mr Souc

Mr Souc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    Topsham Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    - TacoME Satoshi - Hella Supertones - TRD front skid plate - TRD CAI - TRD cat-back exhaust - TRD short throw shifter - TRD 6 speed ball knob - Baja Soft 8 16" wheels - 285/75/16 BFG T/A KO2s - Pioneer AVH-P2400BT - OEM roof rack - Thule Aero roof rack - TSB Add-A-Leaf - 1" Level spacer up front - 5100s front & rear - Eibach 620lb coils - Toytec 2" add-a-leaf - Plasti-Dip bumper, badges, & roof
    I'm interested in this. I'm gonna stay tuned to see what develops. I have been thinking about doing something similar to this for a while.

7. Apr 13, 2015 at 7:29 AM
    glock24

glock24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thread resurrection!

Any updates on this?

1. Does the Yakima Whispbar fit kit K500 (towers) work with the factory double-cab holes?
    2. Is there a crossbar (Whispbar HD) that is long enough to span two of these towers?

The Whispbar HD system says it holds 220lbs. That is the reason for my interest. And I want a system that can match the system on my Snugtop.

Products Discussed in

To Top