1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bumper/lift Year in review- things to do.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Just Dandee, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Oct 8, 2015 at 3:36 PM
    Just Dandee

Just Dandee [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Southwest Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR
    Supercharged-2.5 lift-255/85/16
    Well its been a whole year with the truck and I have done more cosmetic damage than I would have liked too off-roading. So I have two things to address: lift and body armor. With those comes questions.

1) Bumper- Aluminum- I want to keep weight down. seems like I have probably have forgotten a few. so I want to pose the question. Pelfrey makes one, relentless- anyone else?

2) lift- I am 90% sure I am going with 265/75/16 BFG AT- Wanting to level the truck get 2-3 inches of lift. I dont want to give up suspension travel while lifting maybe gain some. What is my best play with that goal in mind.

Thanks
    Dan

2. Oct 8, 2015 at 4:28 PM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    1) Good idea on keeping weight down with the aluminum bumper. Steel will be stronger if you ware really smashing rocks, but aluminum should do plenty well in all but the most extreme scenarios.
    2) The BFGs only come in E-load (53lbs I think) in that size. If you go 265/70R17s which are the same outer diameter you can get them in C-load like I did, which weigh 45lbs and ride better. Rotational weight rule of thumb is 4x static weight, so it is near equivalent to saving 8lbs per tire x 4 tires x 4 conversion = 128lbs difference.

There are many different suspension options available, with a wide range of costs. You can take a look at what I did with the Baja link in my sig, added about 2" up front with 1.5" increased travel, and 1.5" lift in the rear with 1" increased travel using mostly OEM parts and running the same overall tire size you are looking at.

3. Oct 8, 2015 at 8:39 PM
    Just Dandee

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Southwest Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR
    There is a lot I like about that setup! Did not realize that the supercharger added 70lbs already. I am thinking with added bumper weight I may want to consider a different spring set up which might meaning staying with another lift option, maybe a spacer too but that may give up travel? I have gotten used to the rake but if I can get closer to level I think that would be cool. I was not planning on changing from my 16" rims, I have already cut one sidewall on my rugged trails so maybe the E-load may get me home?

4. Oct 8, 2015 at 8:51 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Don't forget the weight you are removing. The front bumper skin plus aluminum crunch zone that (I think) the plate bumper would replace must weigh at least 25lbs. The aluminum plate bumpers I've looked at weigh about 50lbs, meaning you would only be adding approx 25lbs. The Baja springs at 650lbs are some of the stoutest, so they would be less affected by weight compared to the 600lb springs most run. 1/4" spacers on top wouldn't be a bad idea.

E-load tires will be more durable for sure, just heavier with more ridged die walls. I wheel in volcanic rock with C-loads and haven't had any sidewall issues.

5. Oct 9, 2015 at 3:43 PM
    Just Dandee

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Southwest Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR
    So heres a question the driver side lean- if one is replacing the springs I would expect there not to be a reappearance of a factory lean. I dont have one now so why not go with a top plate spacer on both sides? maybe a 1/2? or am I missing something?

6. Oct 9, 2015 at 3:58 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    The Taco lean is because the gas tank and driver are on the same side. If you put the same spring and spacer in both sides and have a 130lbs of gas + the driver on one side all the time, the truck develops a lean, because that side of the truck is usually carrying 100s of lbs more weight. So putting the 1/4" top spacer on the driver side gives that side more lift to counter the extra weight on that side of the truck.

7. Oct 9, 2015 at 4:11 PM
    Bman4X5

Bman4X5 There is no substitute for square inches.

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Upland CA
    Vehicle:
    '15 AC/OR
    Bilstein, Dakar/Icon, Prinsu, CBI, Pelfreybilt, Tepui
    I run a CBI Moab 2.0 alum bumper. Stout and good looking.

8. Oct 9, 2015 at 9:11 PM
    Just Dandee

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Southwest Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR
    Good information- I will add CBI for consideration I thought they were just steel.

Products Discussed in

To Top