1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

yelled at for driving toyota

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by johnny 5, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Jan 14, 2012 at 8:04 PM
    Rattler

Rattler Wandering But Not Lost

Member:
    Bay City MI
    Vehicle:
    '04 DoubleCab "3 Lift on 285/75/16s
    All Pro rear bumper with an Ironman Offroad swing-out spare carrier, Bajarack on top, blacked-out grill, Lightforce 140s Mombasa Rooftop Tent
    I live in big-time GM country. One run-in the gas station attendant told me to "buy American". I asked if that was his C1500 parked nearby and got a "yes". I told him if I open the door on my '89 Xtracab it will say "Assembled in USA" and his would say "Assembled In Canada". He wouldn't take the bet.

My co-workers aren't too bad. They are a bunch of Ford drivers. I just tell them to show me their blue book after it is 8 years old. One guy I have known for +20 years I work with. Diehard Chevy guy for years. He came in with a new Tundra last year and loves it. He now wants to trade-in on a Rock Warrior.

I am '6"5/#250 so I really don't get much shit from people.

2. Jan 15, 2012 at 6:55 AM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    I had an F250 lifted on maybe 35's pulling a trailer get on my arsh the other day, I just kinda laughed not paying him any attention. He would back off get a run and get up on me again, WTF? I mean if he feels so superior, why does he feel the need to do this? Seems like he had something to prove to me. I couldn't see what was on the trailer to get an idea of how much weight he was hauling but it was kinda funny that when we hit an up hill he fell way back then when we started down hill he come running up like gang busters. :rolleyes: I don't care that he can tow more or what ever, that's what he bought his truck for. Mine serves the purpose I bought mine for, I don't need a diesel since I don't tow very often. so :brianr:!

3. Jan 15, 2012 at 7:13 AM
    kimo

kimo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Knuckle Head
    Kauai
    Vehicle:
    09 Super White TRD Sport DCLB 4X4!
    The term "BUY AMERICAN" has lost its meaning a long time ago.

4. Jan 15, 2012 at 9:48 AM
    zul

zul Professional Goofball

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite Mica DCSB SR5 4WD V6 AT
    HAVE: Bed mat, Tailgate Lock, Color-matched Grille, Weathertech Floor Liners, Avid Step Rails, RokBlokz mud flaps WANT: Rear Plate Bumper, Steel bed cage
    All these stories are crackin me up. Keep 'em coming!

5. Jan 15, 2012 at 9:50 AM
    Dark_Taco

Dark_Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Pro
    Stock
    Sad but true:(

6. Jan 16, 2012 at 5:21 PM
    RSCUE

RSCUE Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off-Road
    I have enjoyed reading this thread so I thought I would chime in.

I think we all have a duty as citizens to support American industry whenever possible. Sometimes that means paying a little more, but that is just the way it is and I have no problem with it most times.

However, if a free thinking person, living in a free country, earning their money in a free market decides to buy a foreign product, well sir I don't have any problem with that. In fact, that freedom of choice sounds down right American to me.

What sounds Un-American is when an uneducated mob mentality pressures you to do something just because it might appear to be good for the country. Further, that this pressure is spawned from the same people who would defend federal bailouts and government intervention in the private sector, well that actually sounds communist to me.

You can keep you federal intervention and handouts: I'll keep my freedoms, guns, money, and Toyota. Don't tread on me!

P.S. I had originally looked into buying the Ford Ranger due to my first point. When I found out they had been discontinued the decision to get my first foreign car was made a lot easier. Either way, stay free people.

7. Jan 16, 2012 at 6:40 PM
    boomer6

boomer6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    TN
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Offroad
    disabled DRLs disabled seat belt chime disabled the key in the ignition with door open buzzer Installed Illuminated 4wd switch circuit board Marker lights Flashing with turn signals Toggle switch ABS Disable Fog Lights on AnyTime Mod Changed to Yellow bulbs in the Fog Lights Converted interior lights to leds Installed oem roof rack Installed Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags and Daystar Cradles for the air bags Added oil catch can Relentless Tailgate Protector installed
    You Nailed it RSCUE! Freedom Of Choice! I also was looking at 4door ranger as I had a 93ranger. Got a Tacoma and havent looked back. :)

8. Jan 16, 2012 at 11:00 PM
    dmcnealy22

dmcnealy22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 bsp
    Front 5100's @ .85
    Thats funny because I work at an auto parts store and one day I kept a tally of what vehicles came through the door and it was like 90% GM vehicles.... thats why I bought a Tacoma (recently).... Ford is the only post 1980 "American" vehicle I will drive from personal experience

9. Jan 16, 2012 at 11:04 PM
    dmcnealy22

dmcnealy22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 bsp
    Front 5100's @ .85
    even though there are a lot more gm vehicles on the road than anything else but I dont see that as an excuse.... I rarely see many toyota or even hondas have these crazy type of problems. GM,Chrysler,Ford,Honda, Toyota.... is the common order is see in the store

10. Jan 17, 2012 at 12:16 AM
    bethes

bethes Señorita Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Tulsa/Sand Springs, OK
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Off Road
    Hahaha Nice thread. I have a co-worker who gripes at me about not buying American. He's not rude or unreasonable about it, but it is annoying. He drives an F-150. So I found this http://www.factcheck.org/2011/09/ford-motor-co-does-u-turn-on-bailouts/ about how it's technically true that Ford didn't take the bailout but only because it was approved for a $6 billion loan under a different Federal program in the same year as the bailouts, 2009. And they also requested Congress leave them a $9 billion credit line just in case they did need it. Yay, congrats on not taking the bailout, right? I asked him how many of the parts of his F150 were made in America, but he didn't know.

Anyway, I told him my Tacoma is made in America and supports American industrial jobs, and asked him how much stuff he buys is made in America. He replied that for large items like trucks American is the way to go, the smaller stuff doesn't matter as much. So I pointed out that cumulatively I guarantee he's spent more on Chinese-made widgets than I did on my Tacoma. So now who is helping the foreigners?

Anyway... luckily he's not a jerk about it and he even drove me to the dealership when I bought my Tacoma and helped keep the financing guy in line (that guy was a jerk!). And also said that of the smaller trucks the Tacoma is the best on the market. Really? He wanted me to buy an inferior truck? LOL I let it drop.

Glad I found this thread though, because occasionally other people will casually comment that maybe I should have purchased American. Now I've got a few more solid comebacks for them. It doesn't bother me. I'm the only girl where I work, so it's usually said in a teasing/half flirtatious way, they don't really want to get into it with me. Plus, I kinda saw it coming. My Tacoma proudly sits on oil drilling rigs beside Fords and Chevys and Dodges. And ya know what? It handles the lease roads with dirt, rocks, and ruts left by semis far better than the the other trucks.

11. Jan 17, 2012 at 3:45 AM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    Well, in this day and age, those seeking to only "buy American" would have an extremely limited lifestyle, without computers, televisions, sterios, household appliances, power tools, and so on. All of those are absolutely loaded inside with parts and materials made overseas. Same with vehicles sold today. Likewise, food choices would be very limited since much of that is also now imported as well.

Our governments (Democrat and Republican) over the last several decades chose to remove virtually all restrictions on imports (products, people, etc), with our faltering economy today (limited jobs, excess workers, etc) the inevitable result. Adding to the problem, reduced import restrictions also allowed American companies to easily import products as well, encouraging many to move entire factories, with jobs, overseas.

Some say those governments were bowing to hidden, nefarious, influences. Who knows. However, it's bloody obvious they didn't (and don't) have the best interests of the majority in mind. Anyway, even if our government wanted to fix the problem (absolutely no sign of that), any fix would likely require several decades as well. And, of course, the longer it takes to start, the longer it will take to finish.

12. Jan 17, 2012 at 8:07 AM
    pintokiller79

pintokiller79 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Dallas, GA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4 6speed
    Box Stock right now
    I haven't received any $hit off of anyone as of yet for driving a Tacoma, I live in a pretty rural part of north Georgia too. I have had my ass ridden by a couple of those 12 inch body lift Duramax's on 26 inch wheels and low profile tires though. (oh and the crooked stove pipes too)

13. Jan 17, 2012 at 8:17 AM
    jrdbrn

jrdbrn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '21 TRD Off Road
    My Texan Tacoma isn't as good as my Mexican Tacoma. I am having all kinds of minor issues that my previous had none. Wish mine was an import :p

14. Jan 17, 2012 at 8:45 AM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    All I know is I am happy to let other country's use their resources for products I buy. If china wants to make stuff for cheap and use up their resources? Go for it. When they use them up then the USA can sell them the same resources for 10 X's the cost and remain the #1 super power. I am more than happy to use up the middle east oil before we use Americas oil reserves.

15. Jan 17, 2012 at 5:46 PM
    zapper

zapper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Erie, PA
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5
    I too am enjoying this thread. When you have a minute "google" General Motors World Wide Sales, or GM Cars sold in China. Did you know that in 2010 GM sold more cars in China that it sold in the U.S.? What if everybody in China decided to "buy Chinese"? The flag wavers are really missing the point. Traditionally "American Made" cars would not be as good as they are today if it were not for foreign competition. Sometime read the book called "The Recconing". It is about American Manufacturing, specifically the auto industry, its peak and its downfall. I am as red, white and blue as the next guy, but I am also part of a much larger society called the planet earth.

16. Jan 17, 2012 at 6:04 PM
    ruskastud

ruskastud Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lenexa, KS
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    AVS Hood Shield & In Channel Ventvisors, Console Vault, Disable Seat Belt Chime, WeatherTech DigiFit Floor Liners, Lighted 4x4 Switch, Ultra-Gauge, Rear Spring TSB

Products Discussed in

To Top