1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Yes or No, Keep the sway bar on?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by broke_down, Sep 12, 2018.

?

Sway bar on or off for snow and ice?

1. Yes, take it off

59 vote(s)
    62.8%
  2. No, keep it on and find suitable parts

35 vote(s)
    37.2%
  1. Sep 19, 2018 at 5:19 AM
    Tacobot14

Tacobot14 Heep Recovery Vehicle

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR White Tacoma 6MT
    OME BP-51, JBA UCA, SOS Streamline Bumper, SOS Sliders, Toyo AT2 tires, many more.
    I wouldn't recommend going 70mph on a sheet of ice on a mountain road in general... That's just me though. Maybe my mountain roads in NC are curvier than yours.

2. Sep 19, 2018 at 5:57 AM
    cruisedon66

cruisedon66 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Near St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma Extra Cab 2WD A/T
    Defrost mirrors, compass/temp display rear view mirror, rear wiper on camper shell, trans.cooler.
    It's a double edged sword.
    Dry Road--The sway bar keeps the body from leaning in turns, (which changes the center of gravity)
    Off Road-- The sway bar limits articulation.
    Pure ice Road-- At 30 MPH. If you corner, the body won't lean and all the force from the sway bar is transferred to the axle. The Kinetic energy is then transferred to the Axle & tires.
    Winter driving is about transferring traction/weight transfer S L O W L Y.

How about a Quick disconnect for wheeling?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DphDcvL3nks

broke_down[OP] likes this.
  3. Sep 19, 2018 at 9:43 AM
    Armyhater458

Armyhater458 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Clarion, PA
    Vehicle:
    2012 TX Pro
    OME 887, LR UCA, Dakar 095 (medium duty), Dick Cepek Extreme Country 255/85/16
    I am going on about 3 weeks sway bar free. I will not be putting mine back on, but I will offer my experience. First time on the interstate was a bit intimidating as i was used to driving 80 and throwing it into the curves with confidence. It wasn't terrible, but I wasn't used to the ride at all then. Since then, i have driven it to my hunting spot, and the ride was awesome off-road. Daily commuting isn't all that bad, I am pretty used to the extra body roll now.

I did have a dog run out when I was driving about 50 mph, never thought about not having a sway bar. I swerved, and about had a heart attack. Luckily I swerved and was able to recover it quickly. I can see how if you make a panic movement that the sway bar would be extremely beneficial. For now I have just decided not to swerve to avoid collision with animals. Not at speed anyhow. I love animals and would never intentionally hit one, but the owner should be more responsible if they chase cars.

I am planning on adding 886 instead of my 887. I hope the extra spring rate will take care of the extra body roll.

gotblika likes this.
  4. Sep 19, 2018 at 3:15 PM
    SoJersey

SoJersey South Jersey Defense

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    '12 DC Offroad
    Pelfrey Armor Baja Designs Lights 6112/Camburg/Dakar Suspension Method Wheels / BFG KO2 ARE Z-Series More coming soon...
    I wanted to keep mine on, but when I found out the sound I was chasing was an issue with an end link stud, I pulled the bar off.

I can’t notice a change in the ride other than a tiny increase in body roll getting on the highway.

If you don’t like it off, put it back on.

jeff b likes this.
  5. Sep 25, 2018 at 10:49 PM
    Austin1243

Austin1243 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Salem, OR
    Vehicle:
    2010 AC TRD OR 6-Speed
    Century Canopy, PopnLock tailgate lock, custom bed platform, clazzio leather seat covers
    i pulled my sway bar and i have no regerts

6. Jun 16, 2019 at 2:28 PM
    broke_down

broke_down [OP] highly opinionated with little experience

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Green Tacoma Extended Cab
    Since I started this thread a year ago, I have changed my opinion about my sway bar. Its off for good. After a year of trying to making it work with various suspension systems, I have given up. The truck drives off road so much better. Its a different truck with the bar off, in a good way. I was scared about roll-over safety issues etc, but that doesn't seem to be an issue. I drive slow-ish anyway, and the slight body roll I do feel now makes me that much more cautious. I live in Colorado. I've driven this truck in heavy snow, slick i70 ice, etc etc - the lack of a sway bar has not appreciably changed the handling of my truck, in my hands, in my opinion.

LarryDangerfield likes this.
  7. Jun 16, 2019 at 2:38 PM
    k5driver

k5driver I hate bums

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB MT SR5
    I took mine off and the truck is stock. It's not that bad as long as you don't drive like an A$$hole

8. Jun 16, 2019 at 3:55 PM
    op9nf

op9nf Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nilo
    Bothell,Washington
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD DCLB 4X4
    Bilstein 5100’s With OME 288. 2inch blocks with freedom off-road extended shocks.
    Keep mine on with the relocation bracket.

9. Jun 16, 2019 at 7:33 PM
    93yotasr5

93yotasr5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sacramento
    I have taken the front sway bar off of all of my 4x4 yotas including my 80 series land cruiser on 37s. I’ll never look back.
    With upgraded suspension it seems to make up for the loss and I don’t even notice it

10. Jun 17, 2019 at 1:04 AM
    08RC

08RC Well-Known Member

Member:
    I removed mine a couple months ago. This truck was next to useless off road with it on. Now with it off it flexes much better as you can go much farther when the tires stay on the ground. I don't mis it at all on the road and I drive pretty aggressive. I have fox 2.0s front and back and a 1" body lift. I dodnt think any one would know its not on to drive it on the street. Maybe because its a lighter truck than most ?

Products Discussed in

To Top