1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Yes Virginia, There is a rear leaf TSB for Regular Cabs

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by wolftree, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Dec 14, 2012 at 2:08 PM
    wolftree

wolftree [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    My Christmas came a little early this year. I was finally able to convince the powers that be at Toyota that a Regular cab truck needs a rear suspension capable of hauling more than wet laundry and go through a corner without feeling like it is going to fall over.

My dealers Master Mechanic drove my truck and saw first hand that even with no load that it was riding the bump stops. He consulted the Field Service Rep and both agreed to install the TSB springs on my truck. I had already purchased DSM Bilstein 5100s package and had them ready to go on. The dealership installed the rears for free, I installed the fronts. I chose the "0" setting for the fronts and I am glad I did. The ride now is perfectly matched. You truly need the better shocks to compensate for the stiffer springs. This is how this truck should have come from the factory. Given the reputation for the Toyota springs, I realize this is not the total answer, but it is a start.

I took doughnuts to the service manager and mechanic as a way of saying thanks for going the extra mile for me. I have to credit the mechanic, he showed some intriquing ideas on how to quickly accomplish the job.

2. Dec 14, 2012 at 6:20 PM
    hour

hour TL;DR BOSS

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    '12 Tacoma RC 4x4 (Sold) '14 Ram 1500, '99 4R
    Level 8 Trackers, Hankook Dynapro LT265/75/16, Bilstein 5100's @ 2.5, Wheelers 3-Leaf Progressive w/ factory overload, 5100s all around // Ranch Camper Shell, BHLM, hacked reverse lights, auxiliary reverse lights // Pioneer AVH-P1400DVD, RF Prime Components, BOSS 10" Sub
    Interesting. I have a '12 RC with the 3 leaf stock setup, inquired at my local dealership and was told that the regular cabs weren't eligible, and the guy suggested that the '12s had new rear leafs to eliminate the need anyway. I'm pretty sure it's the same rear leaf in your '11.

I'm sure you wouldn't have asked, but did you happen to hear mention of it being for all new tacomas?

Thanks

3. Dec 14, 2012 at 7:05 PM
    wolftree

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    hour,

Technically, any year regular cab trucks are not eligible, nor are any cab 2012 model year either the last I knew.

Mine was a case of the 2+1 leaf springs totally failing even under no load condition. Toyota was faced with giving me replacement leaf packs under warranty, my mechanic went to bat for me working to get me the 3+1 leaf, instead of the 2+1. I told the mechanic, I use my truck as a truck, hauling loads of buliding material for my home, lumber, block, cement etc.

The mechanic mentioned that the 3+1 springs would be stiff. I had told him I already had the Bilstein shocks, ready to be installed for either Toyotas leaf pack or installing an additional leaf from other sources, whatever it took to make my truck be a truck.

This is the part number of the springs that were actually installed.

48210-35A20
    48210-35021

4. Dec 14, 2012 at 7:10 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    All I got from Toyota was...[​IMG]

5. Dec 14, 2012 at 7:27 PM
    wolftree

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Steves104X4,

You would certainly not be the first to be told that by Toyota. As I stated, my service manager and the mechanic are what made this happen for me and why I was thankfull for their help.

My being older than dirt, worked im my favor. They could tell I was more worried about lifting things into the truckbed, rather than lifting the truck for free.

I do believe the mechanic was surprised. He smeared grease on the bump stops and the drove the truck about a mile on city streets. He was not expecting to see the frame marked with grease with no load, never over 25 mph.

Products Discussed in

To Top