1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Yet another Cap question - air flow?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by vwkismet, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Nov 13, 2008 at 7:27 PM
    vwkismet

vwkismet [OP] Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    '09 4x4 2.7 4cyl. SR5
    I am debating between an A.R.E. cap and a Leer cap on my new 2009 Access Cab Tacoma - Timberland Mica. The primary reason for the cap is a way to transport our two large dogs. (We got rid of the family car and we now can either put 200 lbs. of dog in a Mini or the Tacoma!) It is usually just trips of a couple hours, but sometimes the dogs would hang out in the back - maybe go to the beach surfing and take the dogs - something like that.

We would not usually leave the dogs in the back while it is hot, but that is really the root of my question - particularly with the dark color truck/cap. How good is the airflow in the caps?

The top of the line of both models - A.R.E. Z/Leer XQ - really seem quite a bit nicer, but the windows only tilt open - fine while traveling, but not great while sitting I would imagine. The next model down on both manufacturers - A.R.E. CX/Leer XL - include sliding windows that open much better. I am just guessing that when the truck is sitting those windows would provide better air flow.

So, can anyone with experience add to my thinking on the issue?

Thanks, Michael in NH

2. Nov 13, 2008 at 7:41 PM
    gavonder

gavonder She's Kickass!

Member:
    Ct
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Access Cab
    Sunroof, Leer Cap w/ Thule rack, Factory Running Boards, Fog Light Mod, Hood Struts, Scangauge, w/homemade mirror mount, AC/Defrost mod, Rear Spring TSB, TRD Center Caps
    On the Leer caps, and probably on the ARE's, there is an option to get side windows that open up, just like the rear window. That is what I have on my cap, a Leer.

Of course the dogs might be able to jump out, depending on their size.

GA

3. Nov 13, 2008 at 7:53 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    yeah, the side windows should get airflow..or if you have a sliding back glass, you can get a boot for around it and let the a/c blow in from the cab of the truck

4. Nov 13, 2008 at 8:08 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    Even with the slide windows, there won't be enough airflow on a hot day to keep the dogs cool. While the truck sits in a parking lot. Best test before leaving them in it, is close yourself up for 30minutes to an hour & see if it gets unbearable.

Should be plenty of airflow while you are moving.

Products Discussed in

To Top