1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Yet another suspension question.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by minuteman, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Mar 6, 2013 at 8:30 PM
    minuteman

minuteman [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    n
    This was probably answered on another thread so I apologies in advance. I've read around and the Bilstein 5100's seem to be the best choice for a shock upgrade with a slight lift in the front to level it if I go with the 1.75". I'm wanting to match the shocks with a set of Bilstein 5100's in the rear also. My question is can I get away with buying a set with no lift (0") so that I do not need to do an AAL or no matter what, if i go with these shocks in the rear I have to do an AAL? Thanks for the help.

I'm new to the forum and am in love with my 2012 Double Cab Long bed.

2. Mar 6, 2013 at 8:41 PM
    TRSJimmy

TRSJimmy All I Do Is Nguyen

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Gainesville, GA
    Vehicle:
    12' Mall Crawlin Peerunner
    Welcome! :wave:

I'm not sure if I understand your question but I'll try to answer it anyway. When you buy 5100s, you have 4 notches you can set it to. 0" 0.85" 1.75" & 2.5". Just remember, the rears are not adjustable. You can run 5100s in the rear with & without an AAL.

3. Mar 6, 2013 at 9:53 PM
    minuteman

minuteman [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    n
  4. Mar 6, 2013 at 10:07 PM
    GreatBasinTaco

GreatBasinTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra DC
    Lots of stuff
    correct. you can set the front at whatever you want and it will not change the rear

5. Mar 6, 2013 at 10:11 PM
    Raceline08

Raceline08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Santa Rosa, ca
    Vehicle:
    Silver 08 DBC SB 4x4 TRD Offroad
    front Billies, 885x coils, taco lean spacer, TC UCA'S, Magnaflow 22" OME Dakars, Billy 110 rear's, B.A.M.F CMC, custom made E-locker guard
    Rear 5100s yes you can get away with them but there won't be much play in the shocks at all. My rears were maxed out with a crappy 1.25 inch rear block in the back. Those are gone now with the new suspension. Toytec also sells shock extensions to help with that and get a little more shock back if you know what I mean? I tried using them but just didn't like it.

I bought new standard length 5100s with the extensions for my Dakar rear, long story short I was a fool to buy standard length shocks for those springs and had to get longer 5100s. Sold them on here to get my money back blah blah blah.

If you want to just street your truck then your fine with (0) lift shocks but if you want to play around with some wheeling and stuff all the time I'd look a different route or maybe just some shock extenders and call it good.

Thanks

Brett

6. Mar 7, 2013 at 10:34 AM
    minuteman

minuteman [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    n
    thank you all for your help. I will be placing an order in the coming weeks.

Products Discussed in

To Top