1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Yikes!! No air in spare tire

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by TexasWhiteIce, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Nov 6, 2016 at 6:41 AM
    TexasWhiteIce

TexasWhiteIce [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2022 White DCLB SR5 - Blackout
    So this morning the weather was finally nice in the 60s so I decided to check the air in my tires as I normally do every 3 months. So I went to the gas station to pump them. Before heading out I decided to lower my spare and air check that as well.

Needless to say my 4 tires were fine with air, but when I went to check the air in my spare tire, it showed zero air pressure. I used both the air pump gauge and my portable digital gauge and both read zero. I was shocked, I know air gets lost in tires over time, not not that much. Needless to say I pumped the spare up. Now I have a 2010 and haven't checked my spare tire's air pressure since I bought the truck back in late 2010. Back then I checked the air pressure in the spare and logged it in a notepad when I first got the truck home as a look over. I was more rigorous about things back then with a new truck.

it would have sucked if I got a flat and actually needed the spare tire. Needless to say I will be checking the spare tires pressure more often than every 7 years.

So for everyone out there, check the air pressure in the spare!!!

ChadsPride likes this.
  2. Nov 6, 2016 at 7:12 AM
    Aussiek2000

Aussiek2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Offroad AC
    I air up trucks' spares at every oil change I do. 10-15psi loss per oil change is about normal. Doesn't take long for them to go flat

ChadsPride likes this.
  3. Nov 6, 2016 at 7:24 AM
    TexasWhiteIce

TexasWhiteIce [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2022 White DCLB SR5 - Blackout
    10-15psi per oil change seems like a bit much. I'm under the impression 1-2psi loss every 6 months

ChadsPride likes this.
  4. Nov 6, 2016 at 7:59 AM
    spitdog

spitdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Access Cab V6 4x4 SR5 MGM
    So my 2015 has a sensor in the spare? I always thought it didn't.

ChadsPride and TXpro4X4 like this.
  5. Nov 6, 2016 at 8:32 AM
    Aussiek2000

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Offroad AC
    Just my experience on hundreds if not thousands of trucks

ChadsPride likes this.
  6. Nov 6, 2016 at 8:34 AM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Toy Stuff..... Faktor Amber lights on in the grill. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a. Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. Front weathertech floor mats. De-Baged except TOY on tailgate. FJ style 6 speed shifter knob. Rubber tacoma bed mat. Trd exhaust. Trd 16in beadlocker style wheels. Electrical a/c 115volt plug/usb mod next to passenger knee. Fox 2.5 coilovers. Icon 2.0's in the rear. Rear locker any-time mod. Abs kill switch mod. All Pro ISF front skid Pelfrey built front differential skid Baja design pro pods Rigid pods CBI pods brackets Mobtown tailgate guard RIP Mobtown Caliraised rear amber pod lights CJ Jumper- map, running, amber fog, reverse, and license plate led bulbs Pedal Commander
    No.
    Spares do not

7. Nov 6, 2016 at 8:41 AM
    shakerhood

shakerhood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB Off Road, 6 Speed MT, P&T
    I drop the spare twice a year, clean it and air it up. I also put 4 pieces of sheet rubber on the tire where it contacts the frame, they take that rubbing indentation out of the tire.

ChadsPride, BassAckwards and TXpro4X4 like this.
  8. Nov 6, 2016 at 8:42 AM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Toy Stuff..... Faktor Amber lights on in the grill. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a. Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. Front weathertech floor mats. De-Baged except TOY on tailgate. FJ style 6 speed shifter knob. Rubber tacoma bed mat. Trd exhaust. Trd 16in beadlocker style wheels. Electrical a/c 115volt plug/usb mod next to passenger knee. Fox 2.5 coilovers. Icon 2.0's in the rear. Rear locker any-time mod. Abs kill switch mod. All Pro ISF front skid Pelfrey built front differential skid Baja design pro pods Rigid pods CBI pods brackets Mobtown tailgate guard RIP Mobtown Caliraised rear amber pod lights CJ Jumper- map, running, amber fog, reverse, and license plate led bulbs Pedal Commander
    Noted. thank you

9. Nov 6, 2016 at 8:45 AM
    shakerhood

shakerhood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB Off Road, 6 Speed MT, P&T
    I am glad you understood my description, I snapped a pic the last time I dropped it down but have been too lazy to transfer them to the computer.

ChadsPride and TXpro4X4 like this.
  10. Nov 6, 2016 at 8:46 AM
    spitdog

spitdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Access Cab V6 4x4 SR5 MGM
    That's what I thought. Thanks brother!

ChadsPride and TXpro4X4[QUOTED] like this.
  11. Nov 6, 2016 at 8:52 AM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Use phone if that's what you used to snap pic.
    I've never used a pc for T.World

12. Nov 6, 2016 at 8:52 AM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    :hattip:

ChadsPride likes this.
  13. Nov 6, 2016 at 8:55 AM
    IronPeak

IronPeak PermaLurker

Member:
    First Name:
    AuggieX
    Back to Back
    Vehicle:
    2007 sr5 4x4 DCLB/2015 TRD sport 4x4 DCLB sold
    Bigger Taller Slower
    My 07 had TPMS in the spare whereas my 15 does not. they stopped sometime around 2011? or so.

ChadsPride likes this.
  14. Nov 6, 2016 at 8:56 AM
    Skrain

Skrain Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Member:
    Monticello, Ky
    Vehicle:
    2009 F.J. Cruiser
    Westin 9 LED Driving Lights.
    Odd, but my 2009 RAV4 did have a TPMS Sensor in the spare, since mine would show a low tire every so often, and it was the spare that needed air.
    I think my 06 Tacoma does as well, but I'll check to be sure.

ChadsPride likes this.
  15. Nov 6, 2016 at 9:01 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch, Sherpa Grand Teton/Crows nest, Baja Designs S8 light bar, Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro fog lights
    Not totally true... my 07 has one. The spares had the sensor for 3 to 4 years beginning in 05. It's a pita though... when the temp drops in the winter the tires heat up when driving but the spare stays cold... just enough pressure difference to trip the $%*&# light! :annoyed:

ChadsPride and IronPeak like this.
  16. Nov 6, 2016 at 9:12 AM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    Inflate the spare 5 psi higher after you set your baseline pressures at spec, and you won't have this issue. If you carry a gauge in the truck, it's not a big deal to let a bit out if / when you need to use the spare.

ChadsPride likes this.
  17. Nov 6, 2016 at 9:26 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch, Sherpa Grand Teton/Crows nest, Baja Designs S8 light bar, Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro fog lights
    i'll try that. Is psi difference that triggers the light 8 psi?

ChadsPride likes this.
  18. Nov 6, 2016 at 9:48 AM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    Air it up to 80 psi and put two chucks on an air hose. Poor man's OBA. Air it down if you need to actually drive on it.

19. Nov 6, 2016 at 9:51 AM
    Midnighttaco08

Midnighttaco08 Traffic Direction Moonlighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB Indigo Ink TRDOR 2017 CM Tundra TRD OR 4x4
    Some Bubble Gum and Duct-Tape IG** Midnighttaco03 Camburg uni-ball UCA w/ CO Rear Dakar with Fox 2.0 bottom overload removed GG G3D radius bar 50" roof mount GG G3 straight 32" front valence Rago fab bed clamp pod mounts 2 GG amber pod rear OTRATTW custom switch panel in sunglass holder K&N cold air Gibson exhaust Alpine INA-W900 head Mr. Marv box and amp rack IDQ-10 - Interfire Mono Focal fx45 component front Alpine type S Co-ax rear Homer taco TRD Grill GG LED low/high beam TRD seat covers OEM bed mat Weathertech floor mats with replacement TRD-OR decals Weathertech in-channel vents GG Flush mount pod replament fog light kit GG green ditch mount 3x2 pods Fog lights anytime Tailgate hoseclamp mod LED dome light LED map lights LED reverse lights LED license lights Rear window decals: Mall rated, Tacomaworld.com, U-Haul power tow, soundtech, mammoth.
    My 08 has a tpms sensor for the spare.

20. Nov 6, 2016 at 10:17 AM
    Aussiek2000

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Offroad AC
    So it can blow up in your face?

Products Discussed in

To Top