1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Yota will not stay running

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by k5yota11, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Jan 13, 2014 at 10:55 PM
    k5yota11

k5yota11 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenneth
    Vehicle:
    4x4 pickup
    Black Thunder edition - 17 of 25, crome roll bar, crome push bar, front and rear bumper also crome, crome step bars, torsion bars turned all the way up in the front (w/ alignment), 2" blocks in rear, 33" BFG all terrains, renamed Black Beauty 1 by my pops about 17 years ago
    87 toyota 4x4, 4cyl 2.4 L; Alright so I got back from deployment and found out I had bad gas in my yota.. It has been sitting for 18 months.. I siphoned the gas and put premium in it changed the fuel filter.. Good to go.. I cranked it and during the warm up idol it was good.. Then when the truck began to idol down to regular idol speed it cut out.. I cranked it back up and if I did not keep my foot on the gas it would cut out. There is an electronic solenoid sensor by the carburetor that I removed with the help of a neighbors knowledge of the problem and we cleaned up up with some intake cleaner and it as good for about 2 minutes.. Now I am sort of a stand still.. Tempted to rebuild the carburetor but don't wanna just jump into something right away.. Anyone have any idea of what I am looking here as far as issues go. Also the battery is not dead so I don't think it is the alternator.. Thanks for the support

2. Jan 13, 2014 at 11:20 PM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    If your gas was bad I think a carb cleaning and rebuild is in order.

3. Jan 14, 2014 at 10:21 PM
    Exhaust

Exhaust Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Wharton State Forest
    Vehicle:
    02 DC TRD
    Extended breather, Grey Wire mod, Tundra brakes, Rockford-Fosgate sound, General Spring HDs, 5100s + 880s, Heated Seats, TRD Supercharger, 2.1 Pulley, URD 7th Kit
    Likely the carb. If you're turning over you've got spark so then it's a matter of fuel or air. Since it's been sitting and the old gas likely gummed up the carb/lines/etc. then a rebuild makes a lot of sense

4. Jan 14, 2014 at 11:14 PM
    k5yota11

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenneth
    Vehicle:
    4x4 pickup
    Black Thunder edition - 17 of 25, crome roll bar, crome push bar, front and rear bumper also crome, crome step bars, torsion bars turned all the way up in the front (w/ alignment), 2" blocks in rear, 33" BFG all terrains, renamed Black Beauty 1 by my pops about 17 years ago
    Alright.. I have also been told it could possibly be something electrical. What is yall's take on that

5. Jan 15, 2014 at 8:56 AM
    tooter

tooter play every day

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2012, std cab, 5 lug, 2.7, 5 speed
    Built for maximum low end torque, tooter II.VII intake manifold spacer, LCE long tube header, Injen long tube intake, 2,900 rpm torque peak.
    Hi Kenneth, and welcome to TW. :)

You might want to also check the health of your battery if it's not a brand new one. A weak battery can cause the engine to stall at idle because the alternator is turning too slowly to power the engine without the battery to carry the load. It's a simple test that only takes less than a minute. With the engine running, turn the lights on high beam. If the lights dim and the stalling gets worse the battery is weak. Check the belt that turns the alternator, if it's slipping it won't turn the alternator fast enough at idle.

Also check for any cracked or leaking vacuum hoses. Just one small vacuum leak can make your engine die at low rpms.

I'd exhaust all of the other possibilities first before taking a run at your carb.

I had a 1988 which was the last year our little trucks had a carburetor, so yours represents the highest evolution of carbs before they were replaced with fuel injection. So it's a very good carb... but if gas has dried up in it, just putting in fresh gas won't clean the varnish out of the tiny metering passageways.

If you do a rebuild yourself, just take your time and have a clean orderly work area so that you can keep track of everything, and you'll do just fine. A little compressed air can also be a great help. :thumbsup:

By the way, I have a Haynes Automotive Repair manual that covers your truck (1979-1990). I don't need it any more. If you PM me I'll be happy to send it to you. :)

Greg

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  6. Jan 17, 2014 at 6:23 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Being that yours is carbureted, and sat for so long with that fuel in it, then there is very likely a good amount of corrosion inside the carb. From the ethanol that is in the gas. Take the carb apart, carefully, and clean out the build-up of corrosion.

7. Feb 5, 2014 at 8:03 AM
    ZEROPILOT

ZEROPILOT Can't re-MEMBER

Member:
    First Name:
    ED
    SUNRISE,FLORIDA
    Vehicle:
    09 2.7 XTRA CAB 5 SPEED
    LARGER WHEELS. DIFFERENT STEREO. PUSH BAR. TAILGATE EXTENDER. WIPER MOD. TPMS LIGHT DELETE MOD.
    Try to keep it running and spray some WD40 around and on the vacuum lines and look for any idle improvement. It does sound like a bad vacuum. Does the engine shutter before it dies out or does is just stop running?

8. Feb 5, 2014 at 3:12 PM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    Never heard of using WD40 to look for a vacuum leak. Usually use ether (starting fluid). WD40 has solvents and could have a detrimental effect on some parts.

9. Feb 7, 2014 at 10:13 AM
    k5yota11

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenneth
    Vehicle:
    4x4 pickup
    No it does not sputter at all.. Just completely shuts off....

Products Discussed in

To Top