1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ZDDP and Valve Train Question

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by river rat, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Feb 23, 2008 at 9:21 PM
    river rat

river rat [OP] Tool Geek

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    '11 Timberland Mica regular cab.
    Hi everyone. Newbie here.
    I got a 2007 Tacoma with the 2.7L, 2TRFE engine and was curious if I should use a shot of STP on oil changes for the extra ZDDP content.
    It seems they've lowered that anti-wear additive content in motor oil recently and some people have had problems with cam and lifter wear (except those with roller lifters).

My question is really what rides the cam lobes on this engine?
    In the parts blow-up, it looks like a roller on the rocker rides the cam lobes to reduce wear, but short of pulling the valve cover, it's hard to tell.
    Toyota Help doesn't know. The dealer doesn't know. No one seems to know how this was built. :eek:

Thanks!
    Rob

2. Feb 24, 2008 at 4:31 AM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    I don't know anything about the chemical formulations of lubricants but I can welcome you to Tacoma World!

3. Feb 24, 2008 at 8:08 AM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    Welcome to TW, There have been huge discussions on this forum, and I assume others about oils, dinosaur V.S synthetic, additives V.S straight. I agree with Phantom about the I-4 engine, it very well might be the best out there. I have spoke to many people, with all types of engines and mileage, I can't determine any one thing that helps the life of the engine save one : REGULARLY SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE !!! You keep up with that and don't beat it up, and you should have many happy miles ! :)

4. Feb 24, 2008 at 8:10 AM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    You don't need all these additives to the oil. Just keep your truck regularly maintained and your truck should last quite some time.

5. Feb 24, 2008 at 11:08 AM
    river rat

river rat [OP] Tool Geek

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the replies, guys.
    In a sense, I do trust the engine...what I don't necessarily trust are the new motor oils.
    These engines out there that have a few hundred thou miles on them started out with API SL rated oils with the higher ZDDP anti-wear content. Now they are being fed (as of fairly recently) API SM rated oils.
    That was my point of concern. But I suppose it'll be alright.
    This forum rocks!
    Thanks again,
    Rob

6. Feb 24, 2008 at 2:32 PM
    river rat

river rat [OP] Tool Geek

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    OK. FYI: I found it on a Press release page. It apparently does have roller rockers that ride the cam lobes. Good engineering move.

Rob

Products Discussed in

To Top