1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ziebart Undercoating/Rust Protection? Should I?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by 19glendale, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Sep 22, 2017 at 5:38 PM
    19glendale

19glendale [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 DCLB Silver with Tech & JBL
    N-Fab 3-Step Bed Access steps Fold-a-Cover G4 Elite Smittybilt Beaver Step hitch step Husky WeatherBeater floor mats Hondo Garage Premium Radio Knobs Carista OBDB connection + app TW +5 hp
    I know there are a ton of posts on rust, corrosion, the holy church of fluid film, etc. I'm starting a fresh one tailored to my situation, looking for input. I've heard the conflicting opinions on undercoating 'locking in moisture' and those that say it is effective. A great man once said, "Opinions are like assholes; everyone's got one."

I live in Northern Virginia. We get a fair amount of rain and snow each year and they do use salt on the roads.
    I've had my '17 Tacoma TRDOR DCLB since June and it has 4k miles on it. The vehicle is not garaged.

I'm considering the Ziebart (franchise/brand) undercoating and rust protection, which is $500 total for the tacoma.
    The undercoating, according to their front desk guy who seemed relatively lucid, is a rubber-asphalt mixture. Their 'rust protection' is something totally different where they use something like fluid film in door cavities, tailgate etc. He said they verify weeping holes are clear. The job supposedly takes 4-5 hrs where they clean the undercarriage and use an alcohol-ish drying agent before applying the undercoating itself. They supposedly warranty some component of the undercarriage for 10 years if they apply the undercoating within the first 12k miles of the vehicle (but that's likely marketing). He said it is not applied to the drivetrain or exhaust system. Also, that it reliquifies at 270degrees F or something like that.

If I am going to do this, I would like to do it before the winter season, as the vehicle hasn't been through one, and it is relatively new. I do intend to keep it for the long haul.

Thoughts, warnings, input, etc. solicited and appreciated!

MOC221_ likes this.
  2. Sep 22, 2017 at 5:48 PM
    jake72

jake72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    N.E. PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd off-road dcsb mt
    Doesn't work, but if that's what you want. Fluid film works great for me, applied a year and a half ago and still on there.

tomwil and DrFunker like this.
  3. Sep 22, 2017 at 5:48 PM
    MOC221_

MOC221_ 3 pedal metal

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB Sport M/T Barcelona Red
    vF Tuned; ADM; Core SS
    I live in one of the worst rust belts on the planet (Atlantic Canada), where undercoating is a must if you plan on keeping your vehicle for more than a few years. I personally wouldn't touch undercoating that has the potential to trap moisture or clog drainage. I've seen older cars where that shit got brittle and cracked... well, the metal underneath was toast. Anyway, I use Rust Check (very similar to Fluid Film). You have to get it re-applied every year, but if done correctly it seeps into every nook and cranny. Heck, they spray that shit everywhere on the underbody - drivetrain, exhaust, don't matter. You get warned when you leave - she's gonna smoke for a bit and for god's sake tap the brakes a few times before you get into traffic lol.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    DrFunker likes this.
  4. Sep 22, 2017 at 5:59 PM
    19glendale

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    N-Fab 3-Step Bed Access steps Fold-a-Cover G4 Elite Smittybilt Beaver Step hitch step Husky WeatherBeater floor mats Hondo Garage Premium Radio Knobs Carista OBDB connection + app TW +5 hp
    So that recipe of stuff is known to be a moisture trapping culprit?

5. Sep 22, 2017 at 6:08 PM
    MOC221_

MOC221_ 3 pedal metal

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Vehicle:
    vF Tuned; ADM; Core SS
    I'm not bashing a particular brand of undercoating, to be clear. I just don't have faith in the rubberized coating type. Too many chances for failure. Let's put it this way - are those guys applying that stuff 100% familiar with your vehicle and where all the drain holes etc are? If they miss a spot, will the product creep to cover it? And if the prep wasn't 100% done right, will it adhere properly? And that dude that's possibly hating life because he's gotta undercoat your car before he sees his GF on a Friday night.. you think he cares? While this can also be true for Fluid film type product, it's much more forgiving in my books. It creeps everywhere and actually displaces moisture. And you can touch up yourself if need be. Listen, I don't have stock in Rust Check or anything but it has worked for me..

over60 likes this.
  6. Sep 22, 2017 at 6:16 PM
    jake72

jake72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    N.E. PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd off-road dcsb mt
    I've seen firsthand rubber undercoating fail, leading to Tacomas needing new frames. Doing nothing would be better then using that stuff. Rinse it off with cold water once a week would be a better choice.

7. Sep 22, 2017 at 6:17 PM
    19glendale

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Did you do the fluidfilm undercoating yourself or did you have a shop do it?

8. Sep 22, 2017 at 6:25 PM
    MOC221_

MOC221_ 3 pedal metal

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Vehicle:
    vF Tuned; ADM; Core SS
    I have a shop do mine. It's more expensive to be sure, but I don't have to deal with the mess and they have special wands they use for application (inside doors, frame, and the space between the truck bed and metal quarterpanels). They remove the tail lights and jam it waaaay in there. Oh, and they have to do it for the warranty.

9. Sep 22, 2017 at 6:26 PM
    Roland79

Roland79 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road DCLB Black
    Do you have Krown Rust Control up there? I see there is one kind of close to me, and they say on their website that they are "Canadas Number One Rust Protection Company". I've never heard of them and was wondering what they were all about.

10. Sep 22, 2017 at 6:30 PM
    MOC221_

MOC221_ 3 pedal metal

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Vehicle:
    vF Tuned; ADM; Core SS
    Yes Krown is up here too, although I can't speak for the validity of their claim. I've never had them undercoat a vehicle of mine, so I can't comment as to the product. If it's the rubberized shit though, I'd steer clear.

Roland79[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Sep 22, 2017 at 6:34 PM
    Roland79

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    I'll have to do some more research on it. It says a Krown treatment is $140 on a crew cab pickup.

Edit: it says it's a petroleum based Rust inhibitor

12. Sep 23, 2017 at 10:48 AM
    over60

over60 Over70 & still a "Grumpy Old Guy"

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno (Punkin) TRD 4X4 Sport DCLB w/upgrade & tech pkg..!!
    Toyota running boards/Solid Fold 2.0/custom stickers/Anti-Dark LED light under hood/Derped grill/Scoop, etc.
    I'm a firm believer in "Corrosion Free"... MY Rust Check guy changed to this stuff as he said it was way better.... I don't know how much better it is or not, but this is his life and his business.... He is VERY anal about this stuff.
    I trusted him and have been doing it for 30 yrs now. It saved my 2006 Taco's frame...! Looked like new at 10 yrs. old.
    It's a fluid like Krown, and I suspect Fluid Film (mainly a US thing?) The fluid creeps into every crevice and pushes out the H2O..... It even creeps right up the outside of the doors to about 6" on the outside.... Gotta wash yer truck a few times/ yr. to keep that "creep" from making yer truck look yeauchy..!

I live in the "Salt belt" of Muskoka Ontario and they are now using Calcium Chloride....it's even more corrosive that salt...!!

Gotta protect her if ya wanna keep her..!
    [​IMG]

EDIT... Sorry, I forgot to mention that I had 1 GMC truck done by Zeibart and the shit crfacked and water got in and rotted the fenders all to shit. THERE IS no product that a 1 time application will protect you.... Zeibart want you to come back each yr. to repair cracks or chunks that fell out, but by that time the damage is done..!!

DO NOT do Zeibart....!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

gearcruncher likes this.
  13. Sep 23, 2017 at 11:00 AM
    TeecoTaco

TeecoTaco Liberty Biberty

Member:
    SW Ontario
    Vehicle:
    16 Taco DCSB TRD Sport 6MT
    Modified the level of gas in the tank
    Yup yup, I go to krown for both my Tacoma and 99 Runner...if your curious about it, go buy a can of it for like 5 bucks then find yourself some rusty metal and give the rust a squirt. You will see the reaction...kinda like hydrogen peroxide on a cut, bubbles up.

I have 2 krown franchises near me. Buddy arc welder I go to does an awesome job and gives the buggies a real good wash after completing. The other franchise is sketchy af, so ymmv

14. Sep 23, 2017 at 11:02 AM
    DrFunker

DrFunker Well-Known Member

Member:
  15. Sep 23, 2017 at 11:03 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    Stay away from rubberized undercoating .
    It is by far the worst crap on the planet for trapping moisture .
    Mechanics that have to work under your truck will refuse to work on your vehicle . You cant get sockets on rubber coated bolts . If you manage to get the socket on , the bolt is just going to snap with all the rust underneath the rubber . Cant use a torch , you will burn the vehicle because the rubber is flammable .
    Ask any mechanic who has had to work on a vehicle that has rubberized undercoating . The mechanic is covered in the stuff by the time he finishes the job he was doing and it took him twice as long because of that crap

16. Sep 23, 2017 at 11:03 AM
    7r41lbr34k3r

7r41lbr34k3r Practitioner of the mechanical arts.

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    '21 Tundra 1794 OR
    I have Krown on my truck, and as long as you get your truck treated early enough + the annual touch ups they will honor the warranty. I'm actually due for my touch up in about a month.

https://www.krown.com/warranty/

DrFunker likes this.
  17. Sep 23, 2017 at 11:06 AM
    skiergd011013

skiergd011013 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Offroad 4x4 AC SSM
    I recommend krown. I do it every year, and they let me watch them do it. They do a very thorough job, even the insides of the sheet metal, and its nowhere near 500.00.

Roland79 and DrFunker like this.
  18. Sep 23, 2017 at 11:07 AM
    DrFunker

DrFunker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hey stranger! :wave:

skiergd011013[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Sep 23, 2017 at 11:11 AM
    Roland79

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    I've been reading a lot of great things about Krown, I'm probably going to go that route this fall. Does power washing your undercarriage remove it, or will it hold up through the winter?

20. Sep 23, 2017 at 11:25 AM
    skiergd011013

skiergd011013 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Offroad 4x4 AC SSM
    i asked them these questions. Don't powerwash or use those underbody washes. Just have it treated and drive as normal. I do it every fall and there is not a spec more rust on the frame than the day I bought it. I did a writeup a few years ago of my krowning. Let me find it.

Products Discussed in

To Top