1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Where do i put my transmission temp sensor

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by murderedtaco23, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Mar 17, 2015 at 2:44 PM
    murderedtaco23

murderedtaco23 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Campton NH
    Vehicle:
    09 dbl cab trd sport
    OME 3 inch lift all the way around, 285 75 16s, fog light any time, HID, Rock sliders, 30 inch bumbper LED, LED pod ditch lights
    I bought an aftermarket TTS because I am trailering across the country this spring and it was cheaper then buying a new ultra gauge. My question is, does it go in the fill valve or the overflow? Or is there somewhere else it would go?
    Thanks for the help.

2. Mar 17, 2015 at 3:10 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    I would have went with the Ultraguage considering their price . What do the instructions say ?
    Here is a short copy and paste from another thread
    Lets have a peek at what transmission coolers do
    TRANSMISSION COOLERS
    If you do not have a transmission cooler on your truck and you plan to tow or haul heavy loads or you are in heavy stop and go traffic and use 4X4 low a lot , consider purchasing a cooler . The cooler thats built into your rad is designed to cool the transmission with the weight of just the truck by itself .When you are in 4x4 low , your torque converter is usually in the stall stage and creates a tonne of additional heat .
    160 - 200 are considered normal temps providing your engine radiator is functioning properly . If your engine overheats , your transmission will also overheat
    Normal fluid temperature in transmission to be 175 deg. F.

Rate of oxidation to double for each temperature increase of 20 deg F above normal (175 deg F). As oxidation rate doubles, useful life of fluid is cut in half.

At 175 deg F life is 100,000 miles
    At 195 deg F (20 deg above 175) life is 50k miles
    At 215 life is 25k miles
    At 235 life is 12k
    At 255 life is 6,250
    At 275 life is 3,000
    At 295 life is 1500
    At 315 life is 750

At temperatures much above 300 deg F the metals in the transmission will tend to warp, twist etc. high temperatures causes the formation of varnish deposits which impair or pre vent transmission operation.

At a fluid temperature of 415 deg F fluid life is 30 minutes!

Source: Empire Lubricants Inc.
    Consider a scan guage [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]http://www.amazon.com/ScanGauge-Comp.../dp/B000AAMY86
    Here is the best information for the scan guage http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-pressure.html

You could also use the Torque app with an Android phone as a cheap alternative to watch your temps http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...d2-reader.html

This is how Low Pressure Drop technology works::
    When Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) is cold it is viscous. The unique Tru-Cool design allows the colder, thicker ATF to flow more efficiently through two open bypass channels positioned at the top of the cooler. As operating temperatures increase, the ATF becomes hotter and thinner, It's then directed through the core where it is cooled. Tru-Cool's highly efficient cooling technology combines improved protection against lube failure with optimal heat transfer.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]http://www.amazon.com/Long-Tru-Cool-.../dp/B005XZXB1M
    Long Tru-Cool Oil Coolers offer advanced cooling protection for many towing applications. The advanced technology out performs TUBE & FIN Designs, Delivers up to 15 times less flow restrictions, 30% more cooling delivers maximum heat transfer, Self-Regulating for maximum lube flow protection through start-up, varied temperatures and driving conditions, heavy loads and towing.
    Here is Toyotas fluid flow guide ...Look at page 8 on this PDF http://www.toyotatundraforum.com/pdf/A750E.pdf
    And here is a guy who recently installed a cooler correctly http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...agram-pic.html

cooler and fan install http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...n-install.html

3. Mar 17, 2015 at 3:20 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    I remember a member here installed a custom Transmission Temp Sensor not to long ago. I think he ended up pulling the line that transfers fluid to the transmission cooler right at the transmission and installing a hydraulic fitting that could hold the sensor in contact with the fluid. It took him a bit of time and added complexity to his transmission.

I'd recommend just using a Scanguage II. The Ultragauge can also read TT if you have the right version.

4. Mar 17, 2015 at 3:23 PM
    murderedtaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Campton NH
    Vehicle:
    09 dbl cab trd sport
    OME 3 inch lift all the way around, 285 75 16s, fog light any time, HID, Rock sliders, 30 inch bumbper LED, LED pod ditch lights
    Directions say to use a test port, but everywhere I read says not too, also I don't think our trucks have a test port. Then the other option is to "T" off of the existing sensor

5. Mar 17, 2015 at 3:25 PM
    murderedtaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Campton NH
    Vehicle:
    09 dbl cab trd sport
    Damn thats really involved... and alot can go wrong, more power to him!

I bought the ultraguage to soon.. and jumped the gun on this stupid TFT sensor, grr. Ill figure it out.

6. Mar 17, 2015 at 3:25 PM
    Kolunatic

Kolunatic Broke ass

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 DC peerunner
    Just installed my ultra gauge today. Trans temp and simple start up was well worth it.

7. Mar 17, 2015 at 3:45 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    A test port is a plug on the side of the transmission casing used for measuring hydraulic pressure . You have a few of them on the A750 series transmission . I would still dump the trans temp guage and go for an Ultru guage . Not only do they allow for more functions , but they look good and connect to your OBD2 link under the dash

8. Mar 17, 2015 at 5:49 PM
    murderedtaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Campton NH
    Vehicle:
    09 dbl cab trd sport
    Just decided to ditch the whole thing and send my ultragauge in for the upgrade, what I should have done in the first place, a little more research goes a long way.

9. Mar 17, 2015 at 5:58 PM
    Kolunatic

Kolunatic Broke ass

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 DC peerunner
    Good call.

10. Apr 2, 2015 at 7:49 AM
    ancient11

ancient11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    robert
    tallahassee
    Vehicle:
    2019 4 cyl srsx ac
    Did that very thing several weeks back. Didn't take long to realize a trans cooler was needed. Installed the cooler and the heavy traffic high Temps went from 208 to 188. Hiway cruising Temps are in the 150 to 160 range.

11. Apr 2, 2015 at 10:47 AM
    Scott B.

Scott B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2015 ACLB SR5 4x4 Expo
    To answer your original question (late, I know) - it is not critical where you mount the sender.

What you are looking for is a general temperature reading of the fluid - temperature over time. Initially, when driving around, look at the temperature, get an idea what the average temp is. When you are towing, watch the gauge, see how much hotter it gets. You may or may not see a slight increase in temperature.

If/when you see the temp really crank up, that's when you may have a problem. At the very least, pull over and let it cool.

I usually put my temp senders in the cooler line, on the transmission (hot) side of the cooler. The fluid temperature is not going to change much between the transmission and the sender.

If you have an external filter, you can check the temp there also.

12. May 24, 2020 at 10:07 PM
    GilbertOz

GilbertOz Driver

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 AC 4L 6spd 4WD TRD OR
    Let's necro this thread..

Any chance I can get transmission fluid temperature via ScanGauge or UltraGauge on my 1999 2WD 2door Taco w/ 2RZ-FE 2.4L I4 engine? I think the tranny is the A43D.

Products Discussed in

To Top