4x4 Conversion -- Dec 2011 to Current
Parts I've bought for the conversion.
A340E Transmission w/ J-shift Trasfer Case - 90k Miles (99 Taco): $400
7.5" Clamshell w/ Grenaded Ring and Pinion (02 Taco): $50
Manual Hub Spindles (96 Taco): $110
Inner Hub Seal (O'Rielly's): $19.98
OEM Upper Ball Joints (Dealership): $85.45
Front Drive Shaft (98 4Runner): $40
Rear Driveshaft (Front Section) w/ CB (96 Taco): $20
AISIN Lockouts w/ Hardware (00 Taco): $30
Transmission Mount (96 4Runner) : $20
T-case Shifter Boot (00 Taco): $10
Tan Center Console w/ Cloth Boot (00 Taco): $ 17.61
Refurbished Manual Hub CV Axles w/ Liftime Warrenty (Napa): $164.38
Non-ADD Diff Output Tube w/ Breather Hose (00 Taco): $20
PreRunner Stuff I've Sold:
Transmission (150k miles) for Scrap Metal: $25
Total cost of my 4x4 conversion = $883.42 (Does not include the new 5.29 Nitro Gears, and the ARB locker that went in the front third.)
Obtained a transmission and j-shift transfercase on January 23, 2012
Dropped the pan to check everything and nothin but nice, red, tranny fuild drained out! Also replced the main seal while it was accessable.
February 4, 2012 -- After getting a tranny mount, the correct length driveshaft, and all the needed fluids, it was time to do the swap!
After a coupled of hours disconnecting/unbolting everything, I finally dropped the 2wd tranny down. Broke the plastic bracket for the kick down cable in the process...
Those things are extremly fragile!!!
Started getting ready to install the new tranny the next morning
Took a couple tries getting the torque convertor in all the way (got kinda frustrated trying to keep it in all the way while jacking the tranny up! It just kept slipping out.)
Crossmember back on. Torqued to spec and Blue Lock-tite on every bolt!
Ended up just using duct tape to keep the kick-down cable bracket in place!!! lol
Hasn't popped out since then, but it is temporary.
It was much easier to install the tranny with the trasfer case off, so that was the next step. Cut out the shifter plate and it went on no problem.
Started putting on the drive shaft and decided I wanted to test out the tranny real quick!
So I put in some fluid and started her up. So far so good.... Shifted into reverse and I hear CLUNCK CLUNK CLUNK!!!! Quickly shifted back to park and tried again clunking was even worse! I was in despair!!! Hours and hourse of work and I screwed it up!
Didn't realize until about 5 min later that it was the partially bolted on drive shaft that was clunking around!!!!!!
Felt like an idiot lol. Tried it again and it was perfect! Took it for a spin and the shifting and everything was perfectly normal.
One of the most satisfying feelings I ever had! Even used "2lo" on a recent off-road trip, and it works great.
Since then I've aquired the interior pieces. Looks much better, and it's A LOT quiter with that rubber boot! lol
Update: May 14, 2012
Finally finished outfitting the front diff with 5.29s and an ARB locker, so it was time to swap in the rest of the 4x4 parts.
Pulled off the tires, put the calipers to the side, took off the spindles and prepared to put eveything in when it started to HAIL. lol
Normally it wouldn't be a big deal but I was on a veeery tight timeline to get ready for Moab... lol)
Thankfully it only lasted for about 2 hours and I wasn't to far behind schedule...
Popped in the freshly re-geared clamshell (i put electrical tape over the ARB brass fitting just to kep things clean...)
NAPA CV axles went in w/o a hitch...
Had an interesting time with the spindles, since they came off of a 96 taco that had been sitting for a while... the dust covers are bent all to high heaven, but who cares about that...
The little lockout studs were also a bit tweaked so I had to use a brass hammer to coax the manual hub body on. Also, the NAPA CV had a hard time fitting into the O'Reilly inner spindle seal so I had to get creative getting the passenger axles all the way through the hub. Other than that, everything went in smoothly.
Popped the tires back on, hooked up the front driveshaft, filled up the front diff and went down to a dirt lot to test things out. I discovered that 4LO IS AMAZING!!!!
lol everything worked great!
My PreRunner is now 4x4.