Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2004 Tacoma - Gear Shifter Console Won't Light Up

Old 07-02-2014, 01:34 PM   #1
DoubleTaco2004 is on a distinguished road
Name: Kenneth
DoubleTaco2004's Tacoma Gallery
2004 Tacoma - Gear Shifter Console Won't Light Up

Does anyone have the drawing that shows how to remove the console in order to replace the light bulb that illuminates the gear letters on the console? For the shifter, the P (Park), R (Reverse)...etc.

It won't light up. I appreciate it. Written instructions or a drawing from the manual would be great if anyone has those handy.

Thanks.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:44 PM   #2
Taco302 is on a distinguished road
Taco302's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleTaco2004 View Post
Does anyone have the drawing that shows how to remove the console in order to replace the light bulb that illuminates the gear letters on the console? For the shifter, the P (Park), R (Reverse)...etc.

It won't light up. I appreciate it. A manual transmission would be great if anyone has one handy.

Thanks.
Fixed it for you
Old 07-02-2014, 02:04 PM   #3
DoubleTaco2004 is on a distinguished road
Name: Kenneth
DoubleTaco2004's Tacoma Gallery
Taco302 - I'm not sure what you mean. You fixed what for me?
Old 07-02-2014, 02:12 PM   #4
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Taco302 - I'm not sure what you mean. You fixed what for me?
He's being a smartass by saying you should get a 5-speed.

As for replacing the bulb, I'd imagine it's the same steps to remove the console as it is for my 5-speed.

Unscrew the shifter knob.

There are two screws at the front of the trim piece around your shifter and two screws at the rear. Lift up and forward at the same time. Underneath there you should be able to figure out how to change the bulb.

Honestly, I've never seen under an automatic so I have no idea.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:13 PM   #5
One Tire Fire!
GREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
GREEKBOY12295's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

It won't light up. I appreciate it. Written instructions or a drawing from the manual would be great if anyone has those handy.

Thanks.
My dads 2004 has the same problem lol. Maybe someone can help.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:28 PM   #6
Old Rednek Type
KdF is on a distinguished road

KdF's Tacoma Gallery
Wow!
It has a light?
Old 07-02-2014, 03:25 PM   #7
Shabutie is on a distinguished road

Name: Zach
Shabutie's Tacoma Gallery
Mines out too
Old 07-02-2014, 04:05 PM   #9
synergy10 is on a distinguished road

synergy10's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't tried this yet but it might work (post #2 by Fuzzyman81):

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...t-console.html

I'm not sure if you can remove the plastic trim around the gear shift lever without removing the cup holders and armrest? If you do need to remove the cup holders and armrest, follow the link below (I did this when I replaced my cup holder tabs):

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...placement.html
Old 07-02-2014, 05:39 PM   #10
camptaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcamptaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcamptaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcamptaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcamptaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcamptaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcamptaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcamptaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcamptaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcamptaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcamptaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
camptaco01's Tacoma Gallery
You can remove the shifter console without taking the cup holder/center console out. First take off the shifter knob, if you have 4wd. Then undo the 4screws, 2 on each side.
Lift up from the bottom of the console and pull the back end out.
Then you can remove the console.
You should see the bulb, just twist it out.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:07 AM   #11
synergy10 is on a distinguished road

synergy10's Tacoma Gallery
camptaco01 - thanks for clearing that up!
Old 07-03-2014, 07:08 AM   #12
TacomaTRD4x402 is on a distinguished road

Name: Rene
TacomaTRD4x402's Tacoma Gallery
Hey since we're on this subject... I have a 5spd and have my center console removed. So I just got the plastic attached below the shift knob. Anyways, after mytruck runs for a good while I got hot air coming into the cab from the gap right below the shifter. I'm thinking I must be missing some sorta boot or kind of insulation pieceto keep the air coming in. Can anyone snap some pics of ur manny shifter dissected like what camptaco did? So I can compare. Thanks!
Old 07-03-2014, 07:18 AM   #13
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaTRD4x402 View Post
Hey since we're on this subject... I have a 5spd and have my center console removed. So I just got the plastic attached below the shift knob. Anyways, after mytruck runs for a good while I got hot air coming into the cab from the gap right below the shifter. I'm thinking I must be missing some sorta boot or kind of insulation pieceto keep the air coming in. Can anyone snap some pics of ur manny shifter dissected like what camptaco did? So I can compare. Thanks!
It'd be easier to take a pic of your set up to see if you're missing anything.

You should have rubber boots under the fake leather shifter boots.

Like these guys:

Old 07-03-2014, 01:41 PM   #14

[QUOTE=Madjik_Man;8865285]It'd be easier to take a pic of your set up to see if you're missing anything.

You should have rubber boots under the fake leather shifter boots.

Like these guys:

Yeah ill snap some pics soon as I get home from work. Did you take your pleather material off just to take the pic? I know I do have the boots. But what I'm referring to is even below the boots. I think that's where I got air comin in from. And ill tell you, its freaking hot air. Seems like its the hot air that's blowing right off from the headers. It most likely is.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:31 PM   #15
OldAsShit
Andy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
Andy.G's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaTRD4x402 View Post
There should be a solid metal plate with boots that mount to the truck body. The pleather assy goes over that.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:05 AM   #16
motorhead310 is on a distinguished road
motorhead310's Tacoma Gallery
My shifter light was out too. Or it would turn on and off whenever it felt like it, but was mostly off. One day, I took apart the console to try to fix my rattling shifter. After playing with the shifter a bit, I buttoned everything up. Suddenly, my shifter light always works now. Must have been a loose connection and I accidentally fixed īt.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:44 PM   #17

Anybody see anything wrong that would be allowing all the hot air to enter the cab? I ended up taking it all apart as you can see in the pictures. and ended up leaving it without the pleather(like how Madjik Man has it). I screwed down the 4 metal plate crews really really tight to see if hopefully that fixes the issue.