1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sliders, and such.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Umrunner, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Mar 14, 2011 at 10:58 PM
    Umrunner

Umrunner [OP] Caltanian

Member:
    Around.
    Vehicle:
    '11 DC OR Timberland Mica. 6 speed.
    Leer 100xr with adventure package, duratrack's, weathertech's, demello sliders, billie 5100's all around, URD short shifter, Diff breather mod. Hiese lightbar. Grillcraft grill. PIAA 520 severere weather driving lights. Other random stuff as well.
    Well i have dug around using search, and learned a fair bit, but kinda have a unique one for them.
    My mother's a rather short woman, who does ride around in my truck when im home, or she visits. I also have several shorter friends, who have already commented that the truck is rather hard to get into (does have the tsb done).
    Now ive struck a deal to get some sliders, but im wondering which ones. I know bolt on and welding are both options, and are both strong and more than upto the task of being a slider.
    Not looking at the slee sliderstep, as its just a little too much for the purpose, but which ones would you the masses recommend. Functional as a step, and a slider. Kick outs are not necessary.
    And on a silly note, given their weight, is there any noticeable change in handling, and or fuel economy.
    Thank you kindly all.

2. Mar 14, 2011 at 11:15 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    LT, Glass, CBI Front bumper, NWTI Rear bumper, 35s
    I love my CBI sliders they have a kickout and are bolt on. I have landed on them several times and my spotter said they didn't move at all and thats was when the truck dropped off of a rock down about 1.5' and they were they only thing that stopped the truck from moving (after the drop). I have given them hell about every time I go off-roading and they are great! They do the job with out a sweat and look great doing it. Sliders aren't ment to be like a regular step, because they are designed to be a high as possible, but Beefed Taco makes steps that attach to slider, I do not have them.

3. Mar 14, 2011 at 11:18 PM
    Umrunner

Umrunner [OP] Caltanian

Member:
    Around.
    Vehicle:
    Leer 100xr with adventure package, duratrack's, weathertech's, demello sliders, billie 5100's all around, URD short shifter, Diff breather mod. Hiese lightbar. Grillcraft grill. PIAA 520 severere weather driving lights. Other random stuff as well.
    im aware they are not meant to be used as steps, but in a pinch, im sure they can be.
    Thanks for the input.

4. Mar 14, 2011 at 11:21 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    Ya they do offer a little bit of a drop, but check out beefed taco's bolt on steps. They bolt on to the slider and seem to be a great idea.

5. Mar 14, 2011 at 11:22 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
  6. Mar 15, 2011 at 4:44 AM
    Wattapunk

Wattapunk Stay lifted my friends !

Member:
    First Name:
    Uncle K
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB 4WD
    For the functionality of getting in/out of trucks, why not consider N-fabs or even the standard westin nerfs. You will face the same dilemma if you go with sliders.

7. Mar 15, 2011 at 4:57 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Demello rock crushers are way super overkill for your slider needs, but probably make the best step out of all the sliders on the market.

8. Mar 15, 2011 at 11:45 AM
    Umrunner

Umrunner [OP] Caltanian

Member:
    Around.
    Vehicle:
    Im after them to use them as exactly what they are, rock sliders.
    They do provide some step, and would likely work as a step in a pinch (and can always add the beefed step if needed).
    Im more asking, who recommends which ones, and why.

9. Mar 15, 2011 at 12:49 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    The reason you're getting replies on their worthiness as steps is

1. You led off with a comment about needing a step as a reason for getting the sliders in the first place and

2. Most sliders actually sit just about as high as the door sill, and further out. So it's arguable that they make it harder, not easier, to get into the truck. Neither my daughter, my sons, nor my wife end up using my sliders as steps while scrambling into the truck.

All that being said - for the sole purpose of protecting the truck from damage, I like my relentless sliders very much. But Eric's a one-man shop, so don't be in too much of a hurry to get them.

10. Mar 15, 2011 at 12:52 PM
    singlefin

singlefin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hood River, OR
    Vehicle:
    Syncro
    Dude just get some...look around and see what you like. Find a local fab shop and take a pic see if they can build some. Order CBI, Demello or All-Pro all good companies...there are more as well. I've seen 2 sets of Demello's lately and they look good.

If your gonna wheel your truck or hit up trails get some ASAP, they pay for themselves if you consider possible damage.

Sliders dont affect handling or mpg. If you got with tires or a lift that will have an impact on those two things.

11. Mar 15, 2011 at 1:07 PM
    TacoAlaMode

TacoAlaMode Mr. Midlife Crisis

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    10 DC LB MG 4X4 TRD Sport
    Icon Ext Coilover, Alcan Rear springs, Demello 3-Hoop Bumper and RockCrusher Sliders, Full tint 360', WeatherTech Floor liners and rainguards, Debadged, In Cabin 110 with 400w anytime, Diff breather mod
    I bought the Demello Rock Crushers for sliders (primary) and steps (secondary). They are 2 inch square tube, come in bolt or weld. V-train and I put some photos up here. They are more than I will probably need, but they have already protected my truck already.

As steps, they come down 3-4 inches below the threshold of the door. While this might not seem alot, the key about getting into a truck with them is that you can stand straight up and then bend down while entering the truck. Otherwise people are trying to climb up and duck through the doorway at the same time. I'm 5'10 and don't use them to get in, not lifted yet. At first it felt weird getting out. I can step over them enough to get to the ground, but you end up with your leg against the slider. If they are wet or muddy, you now have it on your pants. I find I like to rotate out, put my left foot on the slider and then come off the seat and to the ground with my right foot first. Demello says you can put grip tape on them to make them more secure, but I tested them wet and muddy and I get plenty of grip.

Products Discussed in

To Top