Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

TRD suspension VS. SR5

Old 10-05-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
Crocodile Tears is on a distinguished road
Crocodile Tears's Tacoma Gallery
TRD suspension VS. SR5

Hey all, just looking for some quick opinions. I've got a 2012 sr5 access cab and have been seeing some stock TRD suspensions (springs and shocks) on the flea market. The one I see currently is from a sport, but off road ones show up occasionally. Are the bilsteins a decent upgrade? sports better or worse than offroads? Will the difference would be worth my ~100-150 dollars?

I have no real intentions of lifting it. I haul stuff and drive out to my camp and the river down two track. I'm not building a bro-dozer or mall-terrain vehicle, just looking for a more capable ride.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
Drinknmolson is on a distinguished road
Drinknmolson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocodile Tears View Post
I'm not building a bro-dozer or mall-terrain vehicle, just looking for a more capable ride.
LOL!! BRO-DOZER!
Old 10-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #4
Island Cruiser is on a distinguished road
Island Cruiser's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm not building a bro-dozer or mall-terrain vehicle, just looking for a more capable ride.
LOL! Nice!!
Old 10-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #5
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
The Toyota TRD/ Bilstein shocks are not true Bilsteins. Instead they are built by Bilstein to Toyota specs. Go to one of the online to a Toyota parts dealers and compare prices against a Bilstein 4600 or 5100 sold online .

Typical Toyota TRD/ Bilstein rear shocks sell for $32 from a Toyota dealer. Online Bilstein dealers sell for $70-80 for 4600s. Do you believe that Toyota is giving you a $40 savings on the same shocks from them?

If you truly want Bilstein shocks, buy the real ones and pass on the take-offs that you see.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hey all, just looking for some quick opinions. I've got a 2012 sr5 access cab and have been seeing some stock TRD suspensions (springs and shocks) on the flea market. The one I see currently is from a sport, but off road ones show up occasionally. Are the bilsteins a decent upgrade? sports better or worse than offroads? Will the difference would be worth my ~100-150 dollars?

I have no real intentions of lifting it. I haul stuff and drive out to my camp and the river down two track. I'm not building a bro-dozer or mall-terrain vehicle, just looking for a more capable ride.
your truck is plenty capable as is.

the rear springs would be the only concern. if you have the 3-leaf...an upgrade may be worth the effort if you find that once loaded your truck sags in the rear or hits the bump stops more than ocassionally.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:12 PM   #7
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92dlxman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftree View Post
The Toyota TRD/ Bilstein shocks are not true Bilsteins. Instead they are built by Bilstein to Toyota specs. Go to one of the online to a Toyota parts dealers and compare prices against a Bilstein 4600 or 5100 sold online .

Typical Toyota TRD/ Bilstein rear shocks sell for $32 from a Toyota dealer. Online Bilstein dealers sell for $70-80 for 4600s. Do you believe that Toyota is giving you a $40 savings on the same shocks from them?

If you truly want Bilstein shocks, buy the real ones and pass on the take-offs that you see.

dude, if you can tell me exactly where to find the toyota factory bilsteins for 32$ i would sh*t! my dealer quoted me like $128 for the damn tokicos

and sorry dont mean to thread-jack op. i think the toyota-spec bilsteins are great, i really enjoy the trd-sport's ride. and if you can get the full kit for 100 bucks or so, go for it. im not sure on coil differences between sport and sr5, but the off-road apparently has progressive coils, which i guess leads to difficult spacer lifting
Old 10-06-2012, 06:14 PM   #8
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Canadian Army: Royal Canadian Artillery (Sgt, Ret.)
Name: Frank
Highland Logan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92dlxman View Post
dude, if you can tell me exactly where to find the toyota factory bilsteins for 32$ i would sh*t! my dealer quoted me like $128 for the damn tokicos
toyotapartscheap.com

Frank
Old 10-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #9
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92dlxman's Tacoma Gallery
highland logan, thank you kind sir for one of my new favorite websites!
Old 10-06-2012, 07:40 PM   #10
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
"ToyotaPartSales.com" is another good place to compare prices with. That is where I found the $32 rear TRD/ Bilstein Shocks
Old 10-06-2012, 07:43 PM   #11
ระดับอาวุโส สมาชิกอาวุโส
dYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dyl0n
dYL0n's Tacoma Gallery
i like this brodozer shit
Old 02-19-2013, 07:45 AM   #12
TacFan2013 is on a distinguished road
TacFan2013's Tacoma Gallery
Hey all, I just picked up a new TRD this weekend. I was looking for an SR5 4 WD for a little softer ride but they didn't have any,so I finally agreed to a TRD for the same price. My question is: Is there a perceptible difference in ride between the two? I'm a senior and don't plan to off-road per se, but so haul stuff to our cabin. Some freeway driving, etc. Should I have held out for the SR5? Thanks for any tips.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:48 AM   #13
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacFan2013 View Post
Hey all, I just picked up a new TRD this weekend. I was looking for an SR5 4 WD for a little softer ride but they didn't have any,so I finally agreed to a TRD for the same price. My question is: Is there a perceptible difference in ride between the two? I'm a senior and don't plan to off-road per se, but so haul stuff to our cabin. Some freeway driving, etc. Should I have held out for the SR5? Thanks for any tips.
Did you get the TRD Sport or Off Road?
Old 02-20-2013, 06:39 AM   #14
I got the Off Road.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:56 AM   #15
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
and now I have a new part of my sig-dozer
Old 02-20-2013, 06:57 AM   #16
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I got the Off Road.
That means you have progressive coils, TRD Sports and SR5s have linear coils. Some people think the TRD Off Road coils ride a little rougher than the SR5 and I would tend to agree after having been in both. Not sure it'd be worth changing out since it's not a huge difference but to each their own.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:29 AM   #17
Thanks. If it bugs me, I might try to swap out one day. There were no SR5 Access Cabs.in the NW 5 states and none due in for a couple months. I checked Phoenix, San Diego, etc. as well, couldn't find one anywhere, so I went with the TRD. Pick it up today. Psyched.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:35 AM   #18
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks. If it bugs me, I might try to swap out one day. There were no SR5 Access Cabs.in the NW 5 states and none due in for a couple months. I checked Phoenix, San Diego, etc. as well, couldn't find one anywhere, so I went with the TRD. Pick it up today. Psyched.
odds are u will be happy..........they become uncomfortable once u start preloading them with bilstien 5100 shocks...Until then, I think u will be happy.

just keep that in mind if u want to lift it later using bilstien 5100 shocks without different coils.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:07 PM   #19
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92dlxman View Post

and sorry dont mean to thread-jack op. i think the toyota-spec bilsteins are great, i really enjoy the trd-sport's ride. and if you can get the full kit for 100 bucks or so, go for it. im not sure on coil differences between sport and sr5, but the off-road apparently has progressive coils, which i guess leads to difficult spacer lifting
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Logan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftree View Post
"ToyotaPartSales.com" is another good place to compare prices with. That is where I found the $32 rear TRD/ Bilstein Shocks
I found the rears for $36, but the fronts were $91 each cheapest I've seen so far. I'm assuming the $32 mentioned above was for rear OEM TRD shocks, not fronts correct?

If someones knows where to get the fronts for cheaper than $91, please post a link.

As of right now, 2x front shocks for $91 and 2x rear shocks for $36 adds up too close to a set of new 4600's or 5100's and that makes it hard to justify not to go with one of those. Thanks.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:58 PM   #20
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryten View Post
adds up too close to a set of new 4600's or 5100's and that makes it hard to justify not to go with one of those.