1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Whining noise in the front end passenger side that gets louder the faster you go

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DBrooks, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Sep 2, 2014 at 12:31 PM
    DBrooks

DBrooks [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dale
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma 4x4
    My 2008 Tacoma 4X4 has developed a whining noise in the front end passenger side that gets louder the faster you go. The odd thing about it is that while your going straight or going to the right the sound is there but if you put even a little pressure on the steering wheel to the left the sound all but goes away. My thinking is that it is probably a wheel bearing but I would appreciate anyone else's opinion. This problem has been going on for a few weeks and I have put several thousands miles on it, what other damage can I expect to find if it is a bad bearing? Thanks for your help.

2. Sep 2, 2014 at 12:40 PM
    smithr1730

smithr1730 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '15 TX Pro
    Offroad parts and such
  3. Sep 2, 2014 at 2:16 PM
    hotrod53

hotrod53 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lynd
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    ‘14 DCLB Sport, ‘18 TCH, ‘13 TCH
    Weathertech floor liners moded to hold OEM floor mats, weathertech vent visors, Toyota bed mat, LEER 100XL cap, hood gasket mod to stop whistling.
    If you're turning the wheel to the left, most likely the issue is the right wheel bearing.

Keep in mind that Toyota sells their wheel bearings in 2 pieces, not a typical assembly like a Timken used on many trucks. I think that there is at least one place that sells them assembled.

You never know when one of these bearings will go, I lost one at 40K and one at 99K on my 2006. 99K on a 100K warranty... score!

4. Sep 2, 2014 at 3:41 PM
    DBrooks

DBrooks [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dale
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma 4x4
    Thanks guys for the conformation that it is probably the wheel bearing. I'm going to order 2 new complete assemblies from one of the two companies that advertise here tomorrow AM. I like this forum!

Products Discussed in

To Top