SCRunner12's 4Runner Limited

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 4Runners

Notices

Help with oil filter 2010 SR5

Old 08-04-2012, 04:11 PM   #1
TNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Drew
TNDrew's Tacoma Gallery
Help with oil filter 2010 SR5

Sorry if this has been covered, but we've been having my wife's oil changed at an oil change place since she got it because I have never dealt with the type of oil filter thats on it. How in the hell do i change it? Is there a write up on here or is it easier than I think. I'm not the most adventurous when it comes to dealing with something on an automobile that I've never done or seen done.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:52 PM   #2
RideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jesse
RideFast's Tacoma Gallery
First get yourself one of these valves!
http://www.fumotousa.com

Buy your filter at toyota and use the oil of your choice!
There is a write up somewhere on how to do it! It's super easy and way cheaper to do yourself!
Old 08-30-2012, 06:06 PM   #4
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsung View Post
^^^

it's the easiest oil change of any vehicle ive ever done.

edit: i see this is in the 4runners section. im guessing it's the same
is it the 4.0 OP?
Old 08-31-2012, 03:02 AM   #5
Part Time Bivalve Extractor
topneck is a name known to alltopneck is a name known to alltopneck is a name known to alltopneck is a name known to alltopneck is a name known to alltopneck is a name known to all

Firefighter:
topneck's Tacoma Gallery
Excellent write up with pics for 5th Gen. 4R oil change

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-ge...lots-pics.html
Old 08-31-2012, 05:04 AM   #6
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwheeler17 View Post
^^^

it's the easiest oil change of any vehicle ive ever done.

edit: i see this is in the 4runners section. im guessing it's the same
is it the 4.0 OP?
The 4.0 on the 4Runners is the Dual VVT-I and is does not have the oil filter on the top of the engine. It is a filter element that sits encased in a enclosure under earh the fan pulley.

You need. 3/8" drive to remove a cap and insert a special tool that comes with the filter element to drain the filter housing and remove the O ring. Once that's do e you'll need a special filter housing wrench to remove the housing. It's similar to the oil filter one that fits the normal filter but is a hair different. There is a metal tab on the housing you have to removed before you do remove it. Once removed replace the filter element and O rings put everything back together and torque to spec. Remember to oils the O rings though.

Skid plate under the engine does have to be dropped to do so though.