1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transmission range sensor P0705

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Coolerman, May 3, 2012.

1. May 3, 2012 at 4:38 PM
    Coolerman

Coolerman [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 SR5 AC / 2007 4x4 FJC / 2021 Tesla Y
    Pro/2015 Coil-overs n shocks, Icon progressive AAL, Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags and cradles, ECGS clamshell bushing, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau cover, 2014 Navigation radio and backup camera, Wet Okole seat covers, rcbs204 lighted 4x4 switch, Weathertech digifit floor mats and in channel window vents, Scanguage II, Hayden 678 Trans cooler, Western Suburbanite plow, Pop and Lock PL8521
    So my check engine light came on Tuesday night. Truck seems to be running fine. I stopped by Autozone today and got the diagnosis, "Transmission range sensor P0705". I searched to see what others have found and I only came up with a few threads on this. I am afraid to go to the dealer as some of the threads are saying the dealer wants over a grand to replace a Transmission wiring harness. I did see that a few people did have success by cleaning a connection behind the driver side kick panel but I am hesitant to start taking things apart without knowing exactly what I am looking for. I was hoping it was just a sensor I could purchase and replace, but it sounds like this isn't the case. I may just go to the dealer and see what they say. Any ideas?

2. May 3, 2012 at 5:44 PM
    Ga tacoguy

Ga tacoguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rudy
    Augusta Ga.
    Vehicle:
    Extended cab Base model 4 cyl
    Tailgate mod, horn mod,storage door mod
    :) Here is the link to factory manual on the transmission . If you are able to do your checking, this may help you to find your problem.

Good Luck.

3. May 6, 2012 at 8:54 AM
    Coolerman

Coolerman [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 SR5 AC / 2007 4x4 FJC / 2021 Tesla Y
    Pro/2015 Coil-overs n shocks, Icon progressive AAL, Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags and cradles, ECGS clamshell bushing, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau cover, 2014 Navigation radio and backup camera, Wet Okole seat covers, rcbs204 lighted 4x4 switch, Weathertech digifit floor mats and in channel window vents, Scanguage II, Hayden 678 Trans cooler, Western Suburbanite plow, Pop and Lock PL8521
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/86096-p0705-park-neutral-switch.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobo [​IMG]
    Satodog, I do not have a remote starter installer.

After visiting the dealer again after the $2000 wiring harness diagnosis and realizing that the connector that supposedly causes the problem is located on the left kick panel inside the truck I cancelled the harness order and did the following. I took the connector block apart and used contact cleaner on it and reinserted the harness plug several times to wipe the contacts. I really did not see any corrosion on the contacts. Second I sealed the bulkhead opening where the main wiring harness comes into the interior from the engine compartment using a tie wrap to bring the rubber boot close to the harness and waterproof tape. It has been several months and the shifting has been fine. I tried again to get some reasonable response form Toyota but it is a black hole.

Update:
    I did the exact same "fix" Bobo describes above and the MIL or check engine light has gone off. I too did not see any visible signs of water or corrosion, but I used contact cleaner on the connector block and all 4 plugs that connect to it. I used some zip ties on the rubber boot in the engine compartment and then wrapped with electrical tape to help seal that entrance. This seems to have done the trick. Thanks a bunch tacomaworld and especially Bobo, Maxa and Joes06tacoma for their posts. [​IMG][​IMG]

Helpful links with pictures:

This link shows pics of junction block and engine compartment entrance:
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/18857706/TSB027709

This link has picks/instructions on how to remove the kick panel:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...stall-oem.html

PS. I didn't go to the dealer, but you would think Toyota would offer a similar fix as opposed to charging several grand to replace a wiring harness.

4. May 6, 2012 at 12:43 PM
    toytaco970

toytaco970 Well-Known Member

Member:
    avon/vail, co
    Vehicle:
    05 trd offroad 4x4
    Front: Icon IVD coated extended travel coilovers Rear: 5125's with AAL and 1" block. Front sway bar removed. Brute Force Fab bumpers AllPro stuff: UCAs , front skid plate, sliders, rear u-bolt flip kit, e-locker guard Kenwood/Garmin single DIN DVD-NAV system, amp and sub. V1 radar, Foglight anytime mod,
    Check your IG1 fuse in the dash before anything else.

5. Apr 8, 2017 at 1:52 PM
    greghart007

greghart007 New Member

Member:
    Checked my IG1 fuse under the hood, Replaced it, Engine light went right off!
    toytaco97... You are the BEST my friend!
    Thanks!

6. Oct 28, 2021 at 9:58 AM
    MbTacoma88

MbTacoma88 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Vehicle:
    2006 Blue Tacoma TRD
    Where exactly is this IG1 fuse?

7. Oct 28, 2021 at 12:23 PM
    TnShooter