1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Uneven Lift Q

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by YotaBoyz, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Sep 16, 2012 at 6:40 AM
    YotaBoyz

YotaBoyz [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Black 99 Reg Cab PreRunner
    Black Spyder halogen headlights, black corner lights, 5% tint, blacked out taillights, new radio
    Homer that's exactly what I was going for. I wasnt going to go past a 2" body lift and I would have suspension lift on there as well. I'm not going for a huge "bro lean". I was think 5" in the front and 3" in the back. Or I'll just go for an even 3".

2. Sep 16, 2012 at 6:53 AM
    Fiend13

Fiend13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Waddell/Phoenix area
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD O/R DC Prerunner
    Not sure what lift options are available for 1st gens however I would stay away from spacer lifts. I know you don't to any offroading however, I had spacers on my last truck just to get one inch of suspension clearance due to trail I drove on to get to the spot I ride my bike and it was extremely stiff and even with the bump stops it sounded horrible when the coil bucket came in contact with them. It was even like this on some roads too. End result, you can really f up your shocks. Also, if you're going to do HID's, please put them in projectors. The stock housing will cause them to glare very badly and there is no beam pattern with them causing the light to shine everywhere and blind other drivers. Oh, and for the BL's, there are quite a few people on here who have a 3" suspension lift then add a 1" BL for more clearance. IMO, 1" is a perfect way to get that extra 1" clearance.

3. Sep 16, 2012 at 6:55 AM
    Fiend13

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Waddell/Phoenix area
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD O/R DC Prerunner
    By the way, I would go with a level 3". I use to like that stance and almost wanted to do 4" in the front on mine and 2" in the rear but the more I see trucks like this the more and more I'm glad I went with a full 3" all around.

4. Sep 16, 2012 at 7:40 AM
    YotaOverAll

YotaOverAll Backyard Performance

Member:
    First Name:
    Jessie
    Panama City, FL
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner SR5
    3" Toytec spacers, Bilstein 5100s in the back with add a leaf and overloads removed.
    Oh well you don't live near me go for it! haha it's your truck afterall!

5. Sep 16, 2012 at 8:50 AM
    YotaBoyz

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Black Spyder halogen headlights, black corner lights, 5% tint, blacked out taillights, new radio
    @Fiend what should I do in the front then? I've rode in my buddy's truck and he had spacers and I could feel the stiffness but it wasn't too bad but maybe I'd notice it if I rode in it everyday. I guess I may just go with a level 3" and then maybe get a small 1" or 2" body. I just wanna be able to fit the 33s.

6. Sep 16, 2012 at 8:55 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    A lot of people argue over the word "stiffness." A lot of them are used to riding in Cadillacs or BMWs, I've driven only trucks my life. I had a spacer lift on my 06 and had no complaints. I wouldn't offroad it to the extent like I do to my 11 but it saw it's fare share of mud, rocks, water crossings, etc.

I think a truck should feel, well, like a truck. Not a luxury car.

7. Sep 16, 2012 at 9:22 AM
    YotaBoyz

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    I totally agree. Any lifted truck will ride a little more stiff unless you spend thousands of dollars. But you're right, it's a truck not a luxury car. I don't have a 4x4 so I wouldn't really go extreme offroading, if any.

8. Sep 16, 2012 at 10:57 AM
    Fiend13

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Waddell/Phoenix area
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD O/R DC Prerunner
    I've never ridden in a cadillac, lol. But I've had an 88' Blazer, an 03' Civic 08' Frontier, and now my Tacoma. I didn't do anything with the blazer since I was only a kid. The civic I dropped and it rode nice but nothing compares to the smoothness of stock suspension. The Frontier is what I had the spacers on and maybe it was just the quality of the spacers or stock suspension but it was at the point that on even a bumpy road my back would hurt due to the stiffness. If this is a truck you plan to keep for a long time and love it then I would just go with some billstein 5100 shocks and eibach coils from toytec.com This lift gives me plenty of room to fit 33's, hell, with enough trimming and a 1" BL I could fit 35's. I got my kit for under $700, I think $682 to be exact? So far the ride is nice, yeah its a little more bumpy and stiff than stock but like I said, there really aren't any lifts out there that will ride like stock without forking over a lot of cash. Just check out toytec and see what they offer for 1st gens if you haven't already.

9. Sep 16, 2012 at 11:02 AM
    Fiend13

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Waddell/Phoenix area
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD O/R DC Prerunner
  10. Sep 16, 2012 at 11:08 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

Making your truck look LT by installing a sub par lift is getting the 'look' without doing any of the actual work or getting the ride quality. So basically spending money to look cool and have a harsher ride = gay to some people.

It's like a import cars and tarded caster.

[​IMG]

11. Sep 16, 2012 at 11:28 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    *camber :cool:

The guy is also stretching the tires to fit wider rims, so he is at risk of popping the bead any minute.

12. Sep 16, 2012 at 11:30 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
  13. Sep 16, 2012 at 11:37 AM
    Fiend13

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Waddell/Phoenix area
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD O/R DC Prerunner
    That's why I was saying I didn't know much about 1st gens. I know for the 2nd gen even with a cab mount chop you still need to do some slight trimming for 33's to fit

Products Discussed in

To Top