Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Sound Issues

Old 10-09-2011, 04:07 PM   #1
Martigan is on a distinguished road
Martigan's Tacoma Gallery
Sound Issues

Hey everyone,new to this.I just bought my 2011 tacoma,4x4,access cab that i've always wanted (saved up forever..lol) i love it...but the sound is so...quite.When i listen to the radio it's fine and MOST cd's (burned ones and "real" ones) but when i hook up my ipod either threw the aux jack or tansmitter,the sound can be max on the ipod and the truck deck and it's too quite.It's alright but when i turn up the sound,i want it loud you know!! lol.My old ride never had this issues (just have factory speakers and deck) I'm not some crazy car guy or want some pimped out ride,lol but i do enjoy my music loud,just let anyone else.so i was wondering if this DPS would fix my problem...is it worth it? has anyone else had these problem?

any info would be welcomed,thanks
Old 10-09-2011, 04:16 PM   #2
Cypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 2A773 Retired
Cypherian's Tacoma Gallery
Hey,

Welcome, I have a 2011 DCab bought it in May 2011 it came with the standard non JBL system. I had the same problem with the IPod audio being lower then normal with 2 windows open 65-70 mph you couldn't hear anything off the iPod and regular Cd/Fm-Am was just about as bad. I yanked the entire system out two weeks ago replacing it with a Kenwood (Nav.Bluetooth, Steering wheel controls and direct iPod interface along with a 10" Sub 200 and 400 watt amps and component 6.5 all away around. As I understand it, it is a fairly common complaint on the stock head units.

Cypher
Old 10-09-2011, 04:19 PM   #3
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
my father had the same thing happen with his new car. there's a setting in the "settings" of your ipod that will allow you to really crank it up. i think the ipod setting is like midway, but you can spin it all the way up. give me second and i'll check on mine where to change it. what kind of ipod is it?

edit: yeah it's under "volume limit" in "settings" on my ipod. . . also, if you're just running it through your ipod headphone jack you're already limiting yourself. the "digital to analog converter" in an ipod is only made to convert that digital file to analog (the only thing our organic ears can hear) loud and clean enough to play through little headphones. when you use a cable running out of the bottom, the file stays digital until it uses your much bigger and better DAC to convert it and play through your truck speakers.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:24 PM   #4
Cypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 2A773 Retired
Cypherian's Tacoma Gallery
JG I know the setting your talking about in my case mine was maxed out already. :{
  1. Select Settings > Volume Limit.
    The volume control shows the current volume.
  2. Use the Click Wheel to select the maximum volume.
    You can press Play to hear the currently selected song play while you select the maximum volume limit.
  3. Press the Center button to set the maximum volume limit.
    A triangle on the volume bar indicates the maximum volume limit.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:27 PM   #5
ya i know the setting too,and mine is maxed out also : ( I have a nano...i can't recall the gen. but i think it's the one just before they went to the tall and thin nanos.I have the JBL sound system in this (or at least i'm pretty sure) i have the ASL option which i can pick low,mid and high so i think thats the jbl.Right now i have it at mid.It's not bad for cd.s but with th ipod its a joke.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:29 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwheeler17 View Post

edit: yeah it's under "volume limit" in "settings" on my ipod. . . also, if you're just running it through your ipod headphone jack you're already limiting yourself. the "digital to analog converter" in an ipod is only made to convert that digital file to analog (the only thing our organic ears can hear) loud and clean enough to play through little headphones. when you use a cable running out of the bottom, the file stays digital until it uses your much bigger and better DAC to convert it and play through your truck speakers.
how do i use a cable running out of the bottom?? what kind of cable is this and where do i attatch this too? am i ripping out the deck here or?
Old 10-09-2011, 04:32 PM   #7
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hmmmmm. well im running out of ideas then haha. maybe a treble booster in your EQ. though the other stuff in my edit is to be considered. you might just be better off getting a new head unit. they make great ones with sub hookups already made in and that will certainly get it loud enough for less than $200. im gonna do it soon i hope. cause i, like you love some loud music . not even rap and bass stuff, EVERYTHING!! haha.

oh, and the top left (or is it right?) corner of your head unit will say "JBL" on a little black square if you have it.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:34 PM   #8
I'm a zit. Get it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martigan View Post
how do i use a cable running out of the bottom?? what kind of cable is this and where do i attatch this too? am i ripping out the deck here or?
it would be the cable you sync your ipod to your computer with. i don't know how the 11's are but i don't have a factory way to run it though a headphone jack or the bottom piece. i know ya'll have some way to do it. though if it's like my sisters newer model camry it would just be through your headphone jack. . . .like i said you'll get the best and loudest sound by running it out of the bottom so your factory amp converts the digital file.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:37 PM   #9
I'm a zit. Get it?

for example, this is an aftermarket head unit that fits in our 2nd gen trucks and the one i will probably be getting.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KDC2...U.html?tp=5684

you see that little slot on the right side above the circle? you would plug your ipod in through the bottom port and then into it with the usb end.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:40 PM   #10
I'm a zit. Get it?

and for my last consecutive post lol, just remember that toyota knows better than to give you a factory way to blow your speakers too quick. that would cost them a lot for all the trucks still under warranty. and that's why you're limited mostly.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:45 PM   #11
I'm a zit. Get it?

aw hell, why stop? lol. read post 8 in this thread. can't hurt to try. cheaper than my suggestions lol.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ues-sound.html
Old 10-09-2011, 05:17 PM   #12
hmm interesting...thanks for the posts.ya sounds like alot of people have the same issues.So what do people think about this DPS thing? also if i take this deck out,will an aftermarket deck not look sloppy or are ones today made to fit in nice.When i was younger my friends always had aftermarket decks and they looked and sound good but i always thought they looked sloppy.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:28 PM   #13
I'm a zit. Get it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martigan View Post
hmm interesting...thanks for the posts.ya sounds like alot of people have the same issues.So what do people think about this DPS thing? also if i take this deck out,will an aftermarket deck not look sloppy or are ones today made to fit in nice.When i was younger my friends always had aftermarket decks and they looked and sound good but i always thought they looked sloppy.
if you buy from someone like crutchfield you'll get a the trim to make it look good. and ours are easy to take out. here's the link in the DIY section in mods and tutorials.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...w-2nd-gen.html

pretty easy to do.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:19 AM   #14
ZZT is on a distinguished road
ZZT's Tacoma Gallery
If you decide to stay with the stock head unit, check out this thread:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...ume-boost.html
Old 10-10-2011, 08:43 AM   #15
hmm this sound shocker thing sound interesting,i live up in canada near Toronto.Is this product sold here? what stores is it sold at?