1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Door Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by MedlinAround, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Sep 25, 2013 at 7:04 AM
    MedlinAround

MedlinAround [OP] Failure is the result of letting setbacks stop you

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD off-road edition Tacoma
    Bilstein 5100's, OME 885X Coils, Dakar HD Springs, Fox 2.0 Rear Shocks, Magnaflow exhaust, Volant Intake, OKledlight pods, Front Skid Plate, Weathertec Floor Liners, Custom Bed Rack, TRD Nation interior LED dome kit, 4X innovations sliders, DIY Roof Rack, Smittybilt RTT.
    I recently had MB Quart rear door speakers in my Taco and both of them blew a little while back. What are some suggestions on some decent rear and front door speakers to order? I was just going to replace the back but now i'm looking to just replace both the front and the back with 6 1/2's because i heard the bolt holes line up better than putting 6x9's in the front. Also, i'll be replacing my head unit with the Pioneer AVH-X3500BHS and i also have 2 Memphis SR 10" subs behind my seats which i believe are 200W 4 ohms. I'm not really educated on what i'm really looking for with the 2 way-3 way coaxial, wattage, component speakers, etc. so i'm really sure which speakers would go well with the trucks system and the headunit. I was looking at these 3 door speakers.

Kenwood
    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_43768_Kenwood-KFC-1694PS.html
    JVC
    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_44298_JVC-CS-ZX640.html
    Pioneer
    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_39878_Pioneer-TS-G1644R.html

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  2. Sep 25, 2013 at 2:57 PM
    Riverdog

Riverdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    Since you have a 2nd gen. Tacoma you have the option of putting component speaker in the front doors, which I would recommend doing. Component speakers are separate woofers and tweeters, and generally come with a crossover; like this for example. A crossover is a little box that decides which sounds should go to the tweeter and which should go to the woofer. I'd say to go with components in the front because you generally get better sound out of component speakers. 6-1/2s are very common and are what the majority of people use as replacements. You'll need to get adapters for a proper fit in the front and rear doors. Here's a thread on how to make your own. Or you can buy them from TW member Mr Marv (all good reviews), *********.com (both good and bad reviews), or ebay (good or bad reviews depending on who you buy from).

In your rear doors, you have the option of putting in just woofers by themselves or coaxials. Coaxial speakers have the tweeter and woofer built into one unit; like this for example. If you go with coaxial speakers in the rear, 2-ways should be enough to satisfy your ears. However, some people like 3-ways better. And some even prefer 4-ways like the JVCs you picked out. But for the rear doors, I'd say that 3-ways and 4-ways would be overkill. Woofers or 2-ways would be the way to go. Some people, even here on TW, won't put any speakers in the rear doors because it sounds better to them without any rear speakers.

The Pioneer AVH-X3500BHS will put out 14 watts continuously to each of the four speakers (a.k.a. 14 watts x 4 RMS). So matching up speakers to that might seem difficult. For instance, of the speakers you picked out, the Pioneers will take the lowest continuous wattage (a.k.a. RMS) at 40 watts each; about three times the output of the head unit. So if your plan is to power the door speakers off the Pioneer head unit, whatever speakers you end up with will likely be under-powered. That's okay to do though. Lots of people do it and it works out fine for them. However, even with under-powered speakers it is still possible to ruin the speakers if you have the volume up too loud. ;) If you want the best out of what your speakers can give, then you should also buy an 4-channel amp for them. I like to tell people that are working with a smallish budget to wait and buy the amp later. If you buy the amp later you can buy better speakers now, and a better amp later. Rather than mediocre speakers now, and a mediocre amp now. But if you have the budget for it, buy better speakers and a better amp now! :D

As far as what specific speakers I would recommend for you, it all depends on your budget. But Pioneer, Kenwood, some Sonys, Alpine, Polk Audio, JL Audio, and Infinity all make good speakers. You should go to some local car audio stores and listen to various speakers to get an idea of which brand your ears like best. And then find some that fit within your budget. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Sep 25, 2013 at 3:25 PM
    NorCalTRD

NorCalTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    '06 Indigo Ink DCLB TRD Sport V6
    40% Front Tint, Viper 5704 Alarm, Steel Cable Dog Tie, Super Sexy Driver Mod
    Riverdog pretty much said it all.

Audiophiles tend to focus on a sound stage, aka component fronts with an amp and sub and no rears.
    Rears typically just provide fill rather than produce anything noticeable for the front seats.
    Get quality components powered by an amp for your front doors and unplug the rears or let them run off the head unit power.

4. Sep 26, 2013 at 3:50 AM
    MedlinAround

MedlinAround [OP] Failure is the result of letting setbacks stop you

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD off-road edition Tacoma
    Bilstein 5100's, OME 885X Coils, Dakar HD Springs, Fox 2.0 Rear Shocks, Magnaflow exhaust, Volant Intake, OKledlight pods, Front Skid Plate, Weathertec Floor Liners, Custom Bed Rack, TRD Nation interior LED dome kit, 4X innovations sliders, DIY Roof Rack, Smittybilt RTT.

Thank you very much for all the info sir! I originally had the sound running through my subs and the back door speakers were powered from my head unit. That was until I guess I had it up too loud and blew the back speakers. However, i'll probably just go that way and buy me some coaxial speakers up front and not worry about the back doors! thanks a bunch, helped a lot! +1 rep :cool:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Sep 26, 2013 at 6:30 PM
    Riverdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    Awesome. Glad I could help. Let us know what you end up going with and how you like it.

6. Sep 29, 2013 at 3:04 AM
    OneMentalCase

OneMentalCase Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 Pyrite LB
    sub for great info! Not to jack the thread...question for Riverdog...if I bought the front components you suggested and adapter rings...how much would I be looking at to pay for the install?? I would be connecting the stock head unit? Thanks in advance for answer!

7. Sep 29, 2013 at 3:11 AM
    sfcadams

sfcadams Retired Senior NCO

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Elizabeth, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road DCSB Prerunner Skeewped
    Good info in here....

8. Sep 29, 2013 at 4:35 AM
    Riverdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    I haven't paid to have speakers installed for about 15 years so I could be off a little. Depending on where you go, it could cost anywhere from $40 up to $100 to install component speakers. Looks like Best Buy wants to charge $100 for component speaker installs. I recommend just doing it yourself though. It's a pretty easy job and there are some how-to's here on TW such as this one and that one.

However, if you're not too attached to your stock head unit , I would replace that before the speakers. I've always had better results (sound quality wise) by replacing the head unit and leaving the stock speakers in. And then later as budget allows, replacing the speakers.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  9. Sep 29, 2013 at 12:31 PM
    OneMentalCase

OneMentalCase Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 Pyrite LB
    Thanks Riverdog for the help...and thanks to the OP for the thread!

10. Oct 2, 2013 at 8:09 PM
    Yaozer

Yaozer Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2011 Red DCSB TRD Sport
    Flowmaster exhaust, 3" Old Man Emu lift, Konig Countersteer Rims, and too much more.
    Talked with Crutchfield and they recommended these 5.25" Kicker coaxial speakers for the rear:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_2064CS54/Kicker-40CS54.html

The sales rep swore by them and indicated that they'd be better than any of the 6.5" speakers they carry. Can anyone else chime in or offer opinions on this? I'd be running it off of head unit power on a Kenwood DNX890.

I have image dynamics ctx65 speakers in the front run by an amp, so these are just fill.

Thanks.

Products Discussed in

To Top