Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Fog Light Confusion!!

View Poll Results: What Fog Light Mod you got!?
Fog Relay w/ green wire tap in 5 100.00%
Fog Relay to Towing Tail Relay 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-10-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
87twentytwor is on a distinguished road

Name: Jake
87twentytwor's Tacoma Gallery
Fog Light Confusion!!

Hella confused with all the different types of fog light mod methods... which one is the best one... Cleanest, less chance of blowing out, difficulty.. prefer not to cut and splice..

I know some methods require you to have fog lights on while running parking, lows, highs..

while the anytime fog light mod could allow you to use fogs whenever you want..

then theres one that engages fogs ten mintues after you turn your engine off..

And one that stays on as long as you have you ignition on...

I am at a loss people.... can someone clear this up for me?
Old 12-10-2012, 10:17 PM   #2

ok.. how do i delete this thing?
Old 12-10-2012, 10:23 PM   #3
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87twentytwor View Post
ok.. how do i delete this thing?
pm a mod.

but iím also kinda confused on this. i really want to do it. but just a little confused.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:52 PM   #4

It's just theres so many different combos... and i don't want to do the wrong one..
Old 12-10-2012, 11:00 PM   #5
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It's just theres so many different combos... and i don't want to do the wrong one..
yeah i think there is 3 ways. one that it will come on when ever. #2, you have to have the parking lights on, and 3 only on with low beam and hi beam.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:14 PM   #6

See.. i like the fact that i can have my fog on anytime i want (With or without other lights on)... but i hate the fact that your have to cut and splice green(?) wire...
on the other hand..
I like how easy it is to connect fog relay to trailer hitch relay with a simple male/female connector... but i want to be able to turn fogs on and off independently with or without other lights...

I don't know which one to do... i'm in great DISMAY!!
Old 12-10-2012, 11:19 PM   #7

hmmm... i think there should be a poll on it!!
Old 12-10-2012, 11:50 PM   #8
Hummingbird
Foihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Danny
Foihdzas's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...html#post45430

Post #9. Except for splicing into the green wire, I found a fuse that was turned on when the the ignition turns on, and off when ignition is off. I used an "add a fuse" and a 2.5 amp fuse. That way, whenever the truck is on, you can use the fog lights. No messing with any other wiring except the relay you bend

:edit: Look at my sig pic, truck is on, lights are off, and fog are working beautifully
Old 12-11-2012, 12:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foihdzas View Post

Post #9. Except for splicing into the green wire, I found a fuse that was turned on when the the ignition turns on, and off when ignition is off. I used an "add a fuse" and a 2.5 amp fuse. That way, whenever the truck is on, you can use the fog lights. No messing with any other wiring except the relay you bend

:edit: Look at my sig pic, truck is on, lights are off, and fog are working beautifully
thanks for the reply.
i want to be able to control the fog with the fog switch tho..run the fogs without the parking lights... I think i might use this method http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...ml#post2370465
or
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...ml#post4714226
and maybe add a fuse between the fog relay and the green ignition? whutchu think?
Old 12-11-2012, 12:30 AM   #10
Chepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Chepo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
See.. i like the fact that i can have my fog on anytime i want (With or without other lights on)... but i hate the fact that your have to cut and splice green(?) wire...
on the other hand..
I like how easy it is to connect fog relay to trailer hitch relay with a simple male/female connector... but i want to be able to turn fogs on and off independently with or without other lights...

I don't know which one to do... i'm in great DISMAY!!
Quote:

Post #9. Except for splicing into the green wire, I found a fuse that was turned on when the the ignition turns on, and off when ignition is off. I used an "add a fuse" and a 2.5 amp fuse. That way, whenever the truck is on, you can use the fog lights. No messing with any other wiring except the relay you
For me, this was the best option... I didn't splice the green cable, what I did was to insert the cable that comes from the relay into the white connector where the green cable is attached... Its very simple and it is the best way IMO
Old 12-11-2012, 12:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chepo View Post
For me, this was the best option... I didn't splice the green cable, what I did was to insert the cable that comes from the relay into the white connector where the green cable is attached... Its very simple and it is the best way IMO

like this right?
Old 12-11-2012, 08:59 AM   #12
Chepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Chepo's Tacoma Gallery
Yup! Just like that!!
Old 12-11-2012, 12:46 PM   #13
Hummingbird
Foihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
thanks for the reply.
i want to be able to control the fog with the fog switch tho..run the fogs without the parking lights... I think i might use this method http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...ml#post2370465
or
and maybe add a fuse between the fog relay and the green ignition? whutchu think?
I can turn on the fogs with the fog light switch. As soon as the ignition is on

The wire we splice in just gives the relay a +12 volt signal allowing the relay to turn on.

The reason on stock tacomas the fog lights turn off when the high beams turn on is that +12 v is turned off, turning off the relay. GL with this great and easy mod!

Upon further looking at my truck, since it has been forever since I did this mod. I added a blade connector beside the green wire instead of splicing into it. Less permanent.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off...ive-10760.html

(scroll to bottom)
Old 12-11-2012, 07:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chepo View Post
Yup! Just like that!!
K thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertacoma2011 View Post
Exactly what i did but watch out sometimes that fuse holds power and turns on and off randomly atleast mine does. My buddy's dad is a mediocre electrical worker but is dam neat and i havent had any problems except when i leave the switch on with the truck off the fogs turn on and off about every couple hours
Ok i don't want this to happen.. so you tapped into the green? I guess i would just have to make sure my fog switch is disengaged..

Quote:
I can turn on the fogs with the fog light switch. As soon as the ignition is on

The wire we splice in just gives the relay a +12 volt signal allowing the relay to turn on.

The reason on stock tacomas the fog lights turn off when the high beams turn on is that +12 v is turned off, turning off the relay. GL with this great and easy mod!

Upon further looking at my truck, since it has been forever since I did this mod. I added a blade connector beside the green wire instead of splicing into it. Less permanent.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off...ive-10760.html

(scroll to bottom)
Thanks for that explanation!

And thanks for contributing to the poll!!

I think i'm going with the green wire tap... Anyone know what the green wire is for? Ignition right?
Old 12-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #15

Oh Yah!! i forgot... but should i run an inlinefuse between the green wire and the fog relay?
Old 12-11-2012, 08:00 PM   #16
Hummingbird

Quote:
Oh Yah!! i forgot... but should i run an inlinefuse between the green wire and the fog relay?

I would assume the green wire is fused along the way.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:45 PM   #17

Quote:
I would assume the green wire is fused along the way.
would it hurt to add another one ?
Old 12-11-2012, 09:28 PM   #18

So no fuse in between green and fog relay?
Old 12-11-2012, 10:31 PM   #19

Chepo's Tacoma Gallery
It wont hurt to add another... Its not necessary tho...
Old 12-11-2012, 11:48 PM   #20

Complete!!

I wanna thanks the dudes that helped me out!! Green wire tap!

GREEN WIRE TAP!! FOGLIGHTS ANYTIME!!

... Now I'm thinking how I can install my old fishtank blue actinic bulb in under my hood, cuz that sucker looks sic!!