1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Taco Towing

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Stinkweed Pete, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Jun 4, 2012 at 11:43 AM
    Stinkweed Pete

Stinkweed Pete [OP] Member

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    Red '08
    Hey all...

I love that you all call the most bad-ass truck on the face of the Earth a "Taco". I never thought of that, but it's totally awesome.

I've owned 4 "Tacos" total... different forms since 1993.

First was a little, metallic blue, '90, 4x4, "Big 4" which went under 70 mph to over 200,000 miles before I sold it to a ridiculously excited 17-year-old.

The second was another 4x4 single cab, silver this time; same manual transmission, almost the same "Big 4", but with the new, curvy style.

I had it for a total of four days (458 miles) before I wrecked it, head-on, 60+mph, on the highway.

Not my fault, and that new Taco saved my life... I got messed up feet now, but I lived. (I've got pictures of the smashed up truck but they're too sad and traumatic to share with you Tacoma-loving folks.)

When I could drive again I bought another silver Taco... Extra-cab this time, I think it was a 2003... the first year that the front grill had vertical, black pillars.

That one lasted me a flawless 5 years... had to trade it in at 70,245 miles for a double-cab because of kid #2.

I didn't mind the upgrade, although the new one (an '08, 4x4 V6 Sport) is the only one in which I've ever been stuck to the point at which I needed a shove or tow. (I blame it on the lack of tread on the tires that come standard in the "Sport Package"... I upgraded to some better tread.)

The only reason I signed up and posted my story on this forum is because I came across the Tacoma "Towing Bible" through an internet search.

It was great... Lots of awesome info.

As a newbie to big towing but a vet to Tacos... I could use some help.

We have a pop-up camper that I have towed many times with no real issues.

My 2008 V6 has an aftermarket brake controller and a factory towing package.

I am seeing most forums listing the max tow capacity at 6500 lbs.

The pop-up is far less than that but we are considering an upgrade to a large travel trailer that will probably come in at about 6000 loaded and ready to camp.

I don’t know a ton about towing except that it does seem to mess with the performance of this smaller truck much more than it does with my brother-in-law’s Silverado or my dad’s Expedition.

I’m getting a stabilizer rig installed, but I fear I may be pushing the limits of my Taco.

Anyone out there towing something fairly large? 26 ft. Travel Trailer?

Any other measures I can/should take to make the haul a little safer?

Thanks for the input... Never knew there was a place to praise Tacomas; but I’m glad there is one.

Pete
    :D

2. Jun 4, 2012 at 12:00 PM
    AWorthyOpponent

AWorthyOpponent Member Caught Off Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Palm Beach County, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB TRD SPORT 4x4
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    First and foremost, Welcome from Florida!!

:yay:

Secondly, try asking these questions in the Towing section. There's not a lot of users that frequent there, but the ones that do really know their stuff.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/towing/

If you really want to learn about towing with this truck, check out the Tacoma Towing Bible.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/towing/4031-tacoma-towing-bible.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/towing/27460-show-us-what-you-tow.html
    From what I have seen, you shouldnt push the limit of 6500lbs, especially on the highway. You will get mixed reviews of people that tow 6000lbs regularly. Some think it does fine, others are used to Full Size and cry about it. I have towed 6000lbs once, but it was only from one camp to another...I didnt have any issues. I did have to tow 4000lbs for a 4 hour road trip, and I didn't break a sweat...

3. Jun 4, 2012 at 12:09 PM
    Stinkweed Pete

Stinkweed Pete [OP] Member

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    Red '08
    Thanks for the welcome and the info...

I read a lot of the "Towing Bible" and it was very helpful, but I'm a bit confused about what I can do to shore up the rear suspension (I'm not mechanically inclined).

I'll take your suggestion and repost this to the towing forum.

Thanks AWorthyOpponent!

4. Jun 4, 2012 at 1:43 PM
    Highland Logan

Highland Logan UBIQUE

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black AC TRD Off Road w/ factory tow pkg
    Icon Stage 2 w/ overload left in, SPC LR UCA, 265/75 16 BFG KO2, front and rear Weathertech floor liners, OEM (Extang) solid fold tonneau, OEM bed mat, OEM front skid plate, OEM billet oil cap, "TOYOYA" tailgate decal
    Welcome to Tacoma World.

Frank

5. Jun 4, 2012 at 4:47 PM
    JSFoster75

JSFoster75 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Bluff City, TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
    Too many to list.
    Welcome to TW from TN! :) Great group of guys (and gals) here!

An easy way to find the correct towing info for your truck is to go to your local RV dealer... They are required to be up to date on that info... :)

Products Discussed in

To Top