Tacoma Moab Gathering 2013

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > South West

Notices

Denver / Aurora Area Day Trails???

Old 06-28-2011, 02:27 PM   #1
UMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Nic
UMBCrew's Tacoma Gallery
Denver / Aurora Area Day Trails???

Hey guys (and gals) I'm gonna be visiting the Denver / Aurora area from California July 7-16 with my girlfriend. We will be in her FJ so i wanted to know if there are any easy trails for a short day drive that would lead to some amazing mountain views . Shes only mall rated so I'm thinking more along the lines of fire roads not much more, nothing hard wheelin'. Any other advice from all you locals would also be greatly appreciated, i.e. where to eat, what to do, what to see, good bars, good music. Thanks again.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:37 PM   #2
evilx is on a distinguished road

Name: Daniel
evilx's Tacoma Gallery
The closest you'll get to Denver is maybe Lookout Mountain above Golden, or maybe up near Boulder. Not sure how you are heading in (I70?) but there are some great views to be had near some of the 14ers. Mount Evans has FANTASTIC views, and the road is paved to the top. But I'm not 100% sure if it is open yet due to snow. Oh, and it is a pay-to-drive road, but well worth it. If you go further south you could also do Pike's Peak, but same applies... not sure if it's open yet. Crazy, right?
Old 06-28-2011, 08:09 PM   #3
UMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of light

UMBCrew's Tacoma Gallery
I cant believe i forgot that pikes peak is in CO. i will definitely check that out. sorry for my tourism but what are the 14ers. im sure we will be around golden and boulder at least one or two days.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:58 PM   #4

evilx's Tacoma Gallery
14er = a peak that is more than 14,000 feet in elevation. Pikes is one, Evans is another. We have a few more too
Old 06-28-2011, 10:15 PM   #5
ShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud of
Law Enforcement:
Name: Shawn
ShawnR's Tacoma Gallery
Denver Metro

Drive down to Colorado Springs and drive up the 1 hour drive of gravel roads and no guard rails up Pikes Peak to the tourist trap at the top.
Leave in early morning.
They just had the Pike's Peak Race, and set a new record in numerous categories.
Drive up to Estes Park and drive up the mountains in the park, to 12,000 feet and still 8 feet of snow on each side of the road.
Drive North of Boulder and go up lefthand canyon drive, where it turns to gravel for a while, after some really twisty roads through the mountain canyons.
Drive West to Lookout Mountain and go up to the tourist trap with Buffalo Bill's gravesite. Great view of downtown from there.
Have Fun!
Old 06-28-2011, 10:20 PM   #6
s10nick is one of the sharper tools in the sheds10nick is one of the sharper tools in the sheds10nick is one of the sharper tools in the sheds10nick is one of the sharper tools in the sheds10nick is one of the sharper tools in the sheds10nick is one of the sharper tools in the sheds10nick is one of the sharper tools in the sheds10nick is one of the sharper tools in the sheds10nick is one of the sharper tools in the sheds10nick is one of the sharper tools in the sheds10nick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: nick
s10nick's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to s10nick
garden of the gods is pretty cool drive too if ur going up to co springs
Old 06-29-2011, 05:11 AM   #7

evilx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnR View Post
[snip]...Drive up to Estes Park and drive up the mountains in the park, to 12,000 feet and still 8 feet of snow on each side of the road.
Drive North of Boulder and go up lefthand canyon drive, where it turns to gravel for a while, after some really twisty roads through the mountain canyons...[/snip]
Forgot about Rocky Mountain National. Great drive!

As for Lefthand Canyon... It's on fire again! Hopefully it'll be contained by the time you get here, but for now I think it is closed.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:24 AM   #8

UMBCrew's Tacoma Gallery
it seems like mt evans is the closest and seems pretty cool. If you guys had one drive to pick that was both a fun drive and good views which would it be. is pikes peak really all that touristy?
Old 06-30-2011, 02:06 PM   #9

UMBCrew's Tacoma Gallery
Any restaurant suggestions??
Old 06-30-2011, 02:23 PM   #10
NetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NetMonkey's Tacoma Gallery
there are a ton of trails north of Idaho Springs (off I-70) and up around central city and blackhawk.
http://www.traildamage.com/google_co...105.5138700000

Beau jos in Idaho Springs is a good pizza joint to eat at.

here are some trails that my wife and i have done:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off...lots-pics.html
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off...-wife-4-a.html
Old 06-30-2011, 05:56 PM   #11

evilx's Tacoma Gallery
Speaking of Beau Jo's in Idaho Springs... if you don't want pizza I HIGHLY recommend Tommyknocker Brewery and restaurant right down the street. Fantastic food and good beer to boot.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:13 AM   #12
Off-Road Limo
Fistgar is one of the sharper tools in the shedFistgar is one of the sharper tools in the shedFistgar is one of the sharper tools in the shedFistgar is one of the sharper tools in the shedFistgar is one of the sharper tools in the shedFistgar is one of the sharper tools in the shedFistgar is one of the sharper tools in the shedFistgar is one of the sharper tools in the shedFistgar is one of the sharper tools in the shedFistgar is one of the sharper tools in the shedFistgar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chance
Fistgar's Tacoma Gallery
I just took my motorcycle up to Mt. Evans last weekend. Road is open all the way to the top and most of the snow has melted. Costs like $3 to drive up there vs. the $20 per person for Pike's peak. Better views at Mt. Evans as well IMHO. Another perk... that Tommyknocker brewery is along the route, although I would recommend hitting it up AFTER driving the world's highest paved road

The mother-in-law is visiting us for the first time since we moved out here a few months ago and gonna take her up into the mountains so I'm gonna be doing the same thing as you... although I may "accidentally" lose her somewhere in the mountains
Old 07-05-2011, 07:06 AM   #13

evilx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistgar View Post
I just took my motorcycle up to Mt. Evans last weekend. Road is open all the way to the top and most of the snow has melted. Costs like $3 to drive up there vs. the $20 per person for Pike's peak.
As an FYI, the $3 is for motorcycles only. It costs $10 for a car or truck. But that $10 is still well worth it