Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Factory Hitch and wiring harness install

Old 05-27-2011, 08:28 PM   #1
oldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud of
oldtimertoyota's Tacoma Gallery
Factory Hitch and wiring harness install

I'm just wanting to get an idea of what I am getting myself into installing the factory hitch and wiring harness. I have an 09, 4 door, SB, 4X4 base model Tacoma, the hitch looks easy but looking at the instructions for the wiring harness it looks like the install could be kind of a pain. The dealership quoted me 1.5 hrs just to install the wiring harness which means that would be about $160 which seems a bit much. Anyone install a factory harness and is it worth spending the $160 not to mess with it, or is it like most instruction manuals which make things looks more complex then they actually are.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:01 AM   #3
oldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud ofoldtimertoyota has much to be proud of
I had seen that but that looks like the install for the aftermaket wiring harness which I believe hooks up differently.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:46 AM   #4
RLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
RLDTACO's Tacoma Gallery
It took me approx. four hours to install the OEM wire harness. If you read the instuctions and take your time should be no problem. I installed the hitch first then the wire harness. There is alot of info in the towing section of TW, may find some help there also. Hope this helps.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:53 AM   #5
RLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RLDTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk View Post
WOW, YOU'RE SLOW!!!!
Seriously, you can make it *work* in under 5 minutes by just snapping everything into their sockets. It shouldn't take 4 hours to run the wire and zip tie it off to the main tail light harness.
Five minutes! I need you to come and work on my truck.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:22 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLDTACO View Post
It took me approx. four hours to install the OEM wire harness. If you read the instuctions and take your time should be no problem. I installed the hitch first then the wire harness. There is alot of info in the towing section of TW, may find some help there also. Hope this helps.
Hey thanks for responding, I just got the factory hitch and harness today, I can see after looking at the directions this being a fairly lengthy process and I am picky so I will take my time. The installation manual looks like it is pretty detailed so that should help. I too will start with the hitch and then mess with the wiring harness after that. I'll post when I complete things and tell you how it went for me.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:04 AM   #7

RLDTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimertoyota View Post
Hey thanks for responding, I just got the factory hitch and harness today, I can see after looking at the directions this being a fairly lengthy process and I am picky so I will take my time. The installation manual looks like it is pretty detailed so that should help. I too will start with the hitch and then mess with the wiring harness after that. I'll post when I complete things and tell you how it went for me.
Sounds like you have it under control. I'm picky about my truck also, so I searched for info on the web and took my time and really had no problems. The most difficult thing was reaching up under dash area to make the connections. Not sure what your towing but run the wires for a brake control at same time. (If you need it) Bob
Old 06-12-2011, 08:49 AM   #8
g7evans is on a distinguished road
Name: Garrett
g7evans's Tacoma Gallery
I am getting ready to purchase the same hitch and wiring connection. what type of connection does the OEM wiring harness come with? 4 5 or 7 prong?
Old 06-12-2011, 09:04 AM   #9
TerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Terry
TerryS's Tacoma Gallery
As far as I can tell, the Toyota harness only comes with a 4 prong plug.

OP: Installation wasn't hard (and I'm not a so young anymore), but I took my time. 4 hours sounds about right. The worst part was the wire connections under the dash, but only because it's so tight.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:08 AM   #10
g7evans's Tacoma Gallery
i am only towing a a 16ft alum boat and my trailer does not have breaks on it. all i need is to connect the trailer lights. will i still have to run wires up under the dash if i dont need the breaking connections?
Old 06-12-2011, 09:28 AM   #11
TerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Terry
TerryS's Tacoma Gallery
No, IMHO, you don't really need the Toyota wiring harness. It makes a separate dedicated & fused circuit for trailer lights, but I don't think it 's absolutely necessary for your little boat trailer. You can get the plug-in variety of trailer wiring at your local auto parts store, RV store, tractor supply, or even online. 15 minute installation, tops, but it powers directly from the tail lights & directionals. Here's a link to a video that shows how it's installed on an older Tacoma.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgajKpMgZpE
Old 06-12-2011, 09:35 AM   #12
g7evans's Tacoma Gallery
sweet. thank you very much. i am assuming you just saved me alot of headache
Old 06-12-2011, 01:58 PM   #13
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
I bought one of those etrailer light harnesses. Its a 4 plug but since you dont have trailer brakes thats fine. Installed in less than 30 minutes including tucking in all the wiring. Super easy
Old 06-12-2011, 09:45 PM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryS View Post
As far as I can tell, the Toyota harness only comes with a 4 prong plug.

OP: Installation wasn't hard (and I'm not a so young anymore), but I took my time. 4 hours sounds about right. The worst part was the wire connections under the dash, but only because it's so tight.
I have not had time to install the harness yet as I am in the process of moving, though I was actually hoping to have it done for the move. Thanks for the info, under the dash is never fun!
Old 09-17-2012, 07:44 PM   #15
Talking

Figured I'd update this thread. Just completed installing the OEM wiring harness, it did take me around 4 hrs. I took my time. Under the dash and figuring the correct route to the hitch were a little tricky but definately not beyond most of us with basic mechanical skills, This thread is over a year old, I think I'm ready to haul a trailer now
Old 09-23-2012, 03:13 PM   #16
howard1945 is on a distinguished road
Name: Howard
howard1945's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation Is the Wiring Harness installed

I have a 2012 Tacoma with towing package. I can't find the wiring harness. I have a package of wiring but I think this is for brake on trailer. Is there a light connection for trailer install and tucked away somewhere?
Old 09-23-2012, 10:28 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard1945 View Post
I have a 2012 Tacoma with towing package. I can't find the wiring harness. I have a package of wiring but I think this is for brake on trailer. Is there a light connection for trailer install and tucked away somewhere?
If you bought it with the tow package you should definately have a flat 4 connector, if the 2012 model is the same as the others I've seen it should sit a little left of the center of the hitch and be attatched to the hitch, it is a little hard to see and actually looks small.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:41 AM   #18
Banned
shemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to behold
shemp's Tacoma Gallery
The hard part dealing with the factory wiring harness is just routing the wire itself from the cab to the bumper. As I recall, the rest of the process was quite literally just snapping in a few modules, relays, and fuses.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:09 AM   #19
howard1945 is on a distinguished road
Name: Howard
howard1945's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimertoyota View Post
If you bought it with the tow package you should definately have a flat 4 connector, if the 2012 model is the same as the others I've seen it should sit a little left of the center of the hitch and be attatched to the hitch, it is a little hard to see and actually looks small.
Thanks I found out I have to have an adapter to go in the large round plug to the left of hitch
Old 11-20-2012, 08:35 PM   #20
othater is a glorious beacon of lightothater is a glorious beacon of lightothater is a glorious beacon of lightothater is a glorious beacon of lightothater is a glorious beacon of light
othater's Tacoma Gallery
Which OEM tow wiring harness did you buy?
The one with the 4 pin connector?
Who did you buy from and cost?

Thanks