1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

confused about max weights on campers

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Lunercrab, May 19, 2010.

1. May 19, 2010 at 5:49 PM
    Lunercrab

Lunercrab [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Lehigh Valley area, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 off road cement
    ok so i have a 2010 dcab auto with the tow package...right now i'm towing just a 1400lb pop up , but we want to upgrade to a hybrid...but i'm not sure what are the max dry/gross weights i need to watch out for....here is the camper we really like

http://www.palominorv.com/site/defa...-238&model=stampede&name=1442&series=Stampede

now i can tell you that we will not have it weighed down with water and anything really extra other then propane, clothes, chairs, food and people...so will the tacoma be able to safely tow this? i'm planning on getting a weight dis. hitch and sway control...basically i need to know what the max i need to look for the the dry/gvw ratings....thanks....

2. May 19, 2010 at 6:00 PM
    trg37

trg37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma OME Full Setup
    The 4.0L V6 (Standard on the X-runner, and double cab trucks, and available in Pre-runner and 4x4 Access-cab trucks)
    236 hp @ 5,200 rpm
    266 lb.-ft. @ 4,000 rpm
    Max. Towing capacity 6,500 lbs. (*except X-runner 3,500 lbs.)
    Max. Tongue weight 650 lbs. (*except X-runner 350 lbs.)

GVWR of trailer is roughly 6550, so it is on the heavier end of the tacomas capabilities, but that is the MAX weight that the trailer and all of its contents can weigh.

Tongue weight is good too.

Will definitely need a brake controller and tow setup.

3. May 19, 2010 at 6:09 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
  4. May 19, 2010 at 6:10 PM
    Lunercrab

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Lehigh Valley area, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 off road cement
    Yeah it was the gvwr that was concerning me. So basically if I were to not load anything like water and stuff then the camper would weigh the 4xxxlb dry weight right? Now that 6500lb max tow weight for the Tacoma includes the camped weight and the weight of passengers and gear right? Sorry for all the campers but this would be the first large camper we are getting :)

5. May 19, 2010 at 6:16 PM
    mwild

mwild I CANT SPELL SO DONT BITCH

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vernon, NJ
    Vehicle:
    03 2500 Dodge Ram
    Cat-Back, weather techs, ipod and sisuis Old 04 Taco: 5100s At all 4 corners set at 2.5", Toyotec AAL, Gibson cat-back, Deck plate mod, 20% Tint on fronts, 10" Kicker Comp sub, Sirius radio, Bud Built Skid, Pro Comp 8069 Wheels
    The gvwr is the weight of the camper and everything in it. The "wet" weight. The dry weight is the weight of the camper it self with nothing in it. The trailer is 4xxx Ibs dry so just add roughly what all your gear weights to that and thats the wet weight as long as your under the 6500Ibs max the you should be good just be carefull stopping that much weight. The truck can handle it you just have to remember that it is gonna take alot longer to stop.

6. May 20, 2010 at 11:32 AM
    Lunercrab

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Lehigh Valley area, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 off road cement
    Thanks for the info guys. Yeah the weight of the camper scares me alittle but we really like the layout and such so it's definitely our top contender.

Products Discussed in

To Top