1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

'05 Sport DC - Time for Tires

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by T0y0ta05, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Oct 9, 2009 at 1:34 PM
    T0y0ta05

T0y0ta05 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    05 Silver Sport DC Tacoma
    Bone stock other than new floor mats.
    My stock tires are finally down to point of needing replacement or my truck will more than likely not pass inspection. I see the stockers are Bridgestone 265/65/R17 and overall they wore well (50K) and did a decent job regarding tracking in rain/snow/ice. I rarely take my truck off road and therefore don't have much use for On/Off road tires such as BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO (On-/Off-Road All-Terrain), which I had in the pass on other trucks. In short, I'm looking for a comparable replacement and wanted to poll the board to see what others have used with good results.

Let me know your thoughts when you have time. :D I have been tooling around on TireRack for what it's worth and can say tires have become expensive compared to last time I purchased a set. :(

2. Oct 9, 2009 at 1:35 PM
    CAMZTRD

CAMZTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    steve
    hampton, va
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC TRD Off-Road 4x4
    billy 5100's @ 2.5 w/ 1/4 spacers, toytec aal, LR UCA's, revotec headlights,revotec taillights, lamin-x fogs, color matched grille and rear bumper, undercover, bed-extender, black nerf bars, scan gaugeII , afe drop in, 50 series flowmaster, 6000k bi-xenon hids, more to come.......
  3. Oct 9, 2009 at 1:51 PM
    Neal11

Neal11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Neal
    Lagrange, GA
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF-ROAD
    Trd CAI, Tacoma Bed Mat, Bull Bar, Tube Steps, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T's
    i recently purchased firestone destination at's for my truck and i love them.

4. Oct 12, 2009 at 2:31 PM
    T0y0ta05

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
  5. Oct 12, 2009 at 2:39 PM
    MAXTacoma

MAXTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350
    Pirelli Scorpion... Had mine fore about 20k... great all weather traction... very happy...

6. Oct 19, 2009 at 7:33 AM
    T0y0ta05

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:

Sharp looking tire. One question comes to mind though, does it pick up rocks and send them into your rocker panels. That's about the only complaint I had with the OEM tires. :mad: Thanks!

7. Oct 19, 2009 at 8:45 AM
    Demoncleaner

Demoncleaner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    05 Dcab 6spd 4x4 TRD Sport w/Tow
    TRD exhaust Homemade bed mat & bed extender, front Drings, Short clutch throw, Summer: Stock 17's Winter: Blizzaks on 16' black steelies
    I have the same truck, my Duelers are gone at 29K. I bought the Kumho APT KL51's couple months back when on sale ($107). Will put them on shortly. Well rated H/T tire. Since I run snow tires in winter, so I didnt care as much about snow traction (though its rated much better than the Duelers). If I cared more about winter as well, I'd probaly go w/ the General Grabber HTS's. A little more, but very high rated H/T tire for everything.

8. Oct 19, 2009 at 8:47 AM
    Jigzor

Jigzor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    20 Gladiator Rubicon
    Steersmarts Draglink, Tie rod, Track Bar
    I just got my set of Dueler Revo 2's. Zero complaints, smooth ride on highway, plenty of grip, and they look great.

9. Oct 22, 2009 at 1:46 PM
    T0y0ta05

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:

Wow, I still have mine with almost 50K on them. I have a fairly even mix of highway/city too so I'm incline to guess you travel mostly highway then? Glad you mentioned the Kumho tires as I just had a set from that manufacture put on the wife's Camry and so far they have held up well. Although, the Kumho APT KL51s are a bit pricey. :D

10. Oct 22, 2009 at 1:56 PM
    T0y0ta05

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    I wonder if anyone stuck with something close the OEM tires. How many miles have you put on them so far?

11. Oct 22, 2009 at 1:59 PM
    petersharp

petersharp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
    Louisville, CO
    Vehicle:
    Ex DC LB Sport owner.
    If you're happy with Duellers keep an eye on the 'for sale' forum, every so often sets come up on there - from someone who is selling them (in new condition) to change to something else. Craigslist is also worth checking out.

The last set I looked at were $400 inc wheels - by the time you've sold the wheels the tires are probably under $200 for four.

12. Oct 22, 2009 at 2:03 PM
    T0y0ta05

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    Good tip. Thanks!

13. Nov 5, 2009 at 4:24 PM
    T0y0ta05

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    I wanted to update this post just in case anyone was curious. I dropped my truck off this evening for a state inspection and possibly new tires depending on the inspection. However, I'm thinking about trying the Nokian WRG2 tires as the reviews are great. Although, it seems like an unlikely tire for a light duty truck (given the design), but the tire shop had nothing but priases as one of the best all seasonal tires. If anyone is interested:

http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=11899&group=1.01&name=Nokian+WRG2

I was quoted $185 out the door per tire which is a bit pricey. Although, that seems to be the case for most tires that perform well these days. :D
    I should also mentioned I looked at the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo2 & A/T 695 ($174 per tire out the door), but unfortunately this specific tire shop was not an authorized dealer. They could acquire the tires, but of course it would take a couple of days which isn't really an issue either. Interesting enough, the could only acquire the first iteration of the Revo tires at $158 per tire out the door. I also eyed up the Toyo Open Country A/T and H/T at $188 & $177 but the mixed reviews made it a tuff sell. Lastly, I eyed a few BFGs Long Trail T/A but for some reason or another they were not working for me either. I've had my fair shair of BFGs AT in the past which are great off road, but suck on wet pavement which still sticks in my head when it comes to that brand. Anyhow, I will try to remember to report back on my thoughts after a few thousand miles.

14. Nov 5, 2009 at 5:04 PM
    05 TRD Sport

05 TRD Sport She's Fat, I'm Drunk, It's On.

Member:
    30 minutes south of Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    Red Prerunner AC
    My Dunlops are going to make it to 50k, but that's about it. I bought a set of OEM Bridgestones w/ about 5k. Got them from a guy that bought the tires and wheels. He wanted the wheels but not the tires. I gave him $120 for all 4 tires. They're waiting patiently in my garage.

15. Nov 5, 2009 at 11:02 PM
    T0y0ta05

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    Yup, per another poster there are a number of regular OPs that "upgrade" their wheel/tire combination from OEM. I contemplated this as well, but there where a few posts/reivews I saw stating the later model Tacoma OEM tires didn't hold up as well as the earlier models. I'm uncertain if the manufacture changed anything or not, but it was just something I noticed. I was for the most part happy with my OEMs which delivered good all weather performance (especially wet pavenment). The only negativity I can state (other than boring looking - read non-aggressive) is when new they continuously grabbed rocks and tossed them at my trucks rockerpanels. :mad: To be fair, this is common with other tires as well. Let me also add that reviewing tires and picking a set can be exhausting. The choices seem to be endless and the "right" tire can vary widely depending on numerous variables. It's been at least 7-8 years since I had to buy a set of truck tires, but I don't remember it being so involved and even spent 30-45 minutes disgussing it with the local tire shop (who like others prefers to sell their generic brand of tires -guessing it's more profitable) after researching tires online for a few days. One of the most frustraiting thing was our "unique" tire size of 265/65R17 which really limits our options. I do realize I could have gone 265/70R17 (about an inch taller) etc but at the risk of messing with vehicle handling charateristics and the speedo being off. In short, only time will tell if my decision is a good one and hopefully that is the case. :D One last thing, Tirerack has a lot of good tools for tire size calculations and provides a good understanding of tire ratings for loads, speed, etc. I highly recommend shoppers get acquainted with these items when looking and don't depend on a tire shop to necessarily know what's best for you vehicle. My 2 cents worth but your mileage may vary.:p

16. Nov 11, 2009 at 11:26 AM
    T0y0ta05

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    Just a quick update that I do not need tires at this time. Per the tire shop, I have 5/8ths of tread and can go as low as 2/8ths if desired. They did mention that anything below 6/8ths begins loosing it's ability to remove snow and rain from the channels. In short, it looks like I may actually be able to grab another 5-10K out of the OEM tires, but will certainly re-visit this thread/topic once they are replaced. Thanks to all who responded.

Products Discussed in

To Top