1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1 piece driveshaft

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by RangeDrive, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Jul 27, 2017 at 1:56 AM
    RangeDrive

RangeDrive [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 V6 Double cab
    Icon front end, OME Dakar rear, ARB front bar
    So my double Cardin joint is bad and I can't seem to find a shop that can source the parts. I also have to replace my carrier bearing, with the cost of parts+labor I'm not too far off the price of a Tom Woods driveshaft. Am I missing something? Are there cons to the 1peice? Am I missing a way to get the D.C. Rebuilt? Help please!

2. Jul 27, 2017 at 2:12 AM
    DustStorm4x4

DustStorm4x4 BBC 2020

Member:
    U S A
    Vehicle:
    04 Jeep LJ
    The only negative I can think about right now is the ground clearance. If you off-road, the driveshaft bein that low and exposed isn't exactly the greatest. Other members can probably give better insight though.

3. Jul 27, 2017 at 2:14 AM
    RangeDrive

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 V6 Double cab
    I do off-road but no crawling or anything, i would say 95% of my off-roading is mild trail and overlanding. My suspension setup is icon COs with Dakars in the back, the vehicle is a v6 double cab, if that information makes a difference.

4. Jul 27, 2017 at 2:18 AM
    RangeDrive

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 V6 Double cab
    Does anyone know how long it takes them to build the driveshaft and send it out? I'm in a crunch and need my truck back on the road

5. Jul 27, 2017 at 2:32 AM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    1 owner 2002 TRD, SR5, DC, 2.7. Full OME suspension, STT pro's.
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. TC UCA's OME Dakars with extra leaf in the rear. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate. 2019 Jeep JLUR.
    They are going to need some pretty critical measurements from you. Go to the Toyota section and scroll to the bottom of the page. They have some common measurements there.

6. Jul 27, 2017 at 6:27 AM
    old grouch

old grouch Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stan
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    95 4x4 V6 Extra Cab
    E-Locker SS Skid 2" Lift
    Dragons Taco likes this.
  7. Jul 27, 2017 at 6:34 AM
    RangeDrive

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 V6 Double cab
    Thank you for the link, but still with the price difference not be too far apart the one piece driveshaft would have the advantage, no?

8. Jul 27, 2017 at 6:55 AM
    old grouch

old grouch Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stan
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    95 4x4 V6 Extra Cab
    E-Locker SS Skid 2" Lift
    Sorry, I don't know anything about driveshafts, just saw that post yesterday & remembered it when I saw yours. Maybe someone with more knowledge will jump in here.

9. Jul 27, 2017 at 7:05 AM
    Dirty Pool

Dirty Pool FLIES ON THE FRIES, KETCHUPS WATERED DOWN

Member:
    59.4 Miles, 56.67° NE Of Moab
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Dirty Pool rear bumper/air tank with integrated spare CV shaft storage, DP customized TJM front bumper, 8000 lb Ramsey/Technora rope, E-locked, Extended breathers with front diff catch can, PCV catch can, SAWs with DP heim joint seals, DP custom 6 leaf rear springs/Billies, DP custom skids, 2lo, Gray wire, Cap, Bed Rug, Black steelies, 01 Center console, Map lights, Disraeli gears
    The downside to a one piece is ground clearance and strength plus the possibility of less than Toyota quality parts.
    If your dead set on going that route a "re-tube" would be cheaper than a whole new shaft. They essentially cut of the ends of your current shaft and weld in a new section of tube then balance. This is the same work as repairing a bent/twisted shaft. Any shop that can't do that is not a driveline shop.

10. Jul 27, 2017 at 7:11 AM
    magog45

magog45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada, just south of Santa
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma 4x4 extended cab
    5100's all around, 2.75 inch lift, polyurethane body mounts, gibson exhaust, variation of the deckplate mod, intake resonators removed 285-75-16 goodyear AT
    I don'y quite understand the need for the cardamon joint on our Tacomas, my 71 pickup had a 2 piece driveshaft and all it had was the slipjoint into the front half and a universal at each end of the back half. That truck had a 454 in it and I beat the hell out of it and never changed any of the driveshaft parts.

11. Jul 27, 2017 at 7:18 AM
    Dalandser

Dalandser ¡Me Gustan Las Tacos-mas!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Regular Cab / 98 4x4 Extra Cab
    Empty Wallet Mod
    I'd look around for a used driveshaft. I've seen them for as little as $150 on CL. I bought one on here for $280.

I've also heard of people not being happy with their TW driveshafts and going back to a Toyota driveshaft.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  12. Jul 27, 2017 at 7:41 AM
    Dirty Pool

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Dirty Pool rear bumper/air tank with integrated spare CV shaft storage, DP customized TJM front bumper, 8000 lb Ramsey/Technora rope, E-locked, Extended breathers with front diff catch can, PCV catch can, SAWs with DP heim joint seals, DP custom 6 leaf rear springs/Billies, DP custom skids, 2lo, Gray wire, Cap, Bed Rug, Black steelies, 01 Center console, Map lights, Disraeli gears
    The DC joint provides "smoother" operation and in most cases that smoothness can happen thru a greater range of motion (not always), that's about it.

@RangeDrive I forgot to mention, your pinion angle is presently set for the DC type shaft. A one piece uses a different scenario for u-joint angles so your pinion angle would/should be changed. This would be accomplished by a tapered shim between the spring and the axle or welding the spring perch on at the correct angle.

A used shaft is also a good solution if available.

13. Jul 27, 2017 at 7:54 AM
    RangeDrive

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 V6 Double cab
    Thanks for the info, as far as "less than Toyota grade parts" I don't see this as a concern, because you have to use after market parts to rebuild the double cardon joint due to the fact that Toyota won't sell the rebuild parts.

Yes I understand about the shims, thanks for the reminder though!

Right now my driveshaft is at the 3rd shop I've been to and he's going to look at it and let me know if he can source the parts and rebuild, if he can't, he also make custom shafts so I might talk to him further and look into that route

14. Jul 27, 2017 at 8:45 AM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    You can source parts - they're available from a couple shops I found when I was going through this. Any high performance shop can get them, but you'll pay way more than you would than if you buy a used one that doesn't need the dc joint replaced.

I was quoted $500 for a full rebuild by inland empire driveline.

15. Jul 27, 2017 at 8:49 AM
    RangeDrive

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 V6 Double cab
    Unfortunately I've looked on CL and on the marketplace here and can't seem to find a used one

16. Jul 27, 2017 at 9:10 AM
    Dirty Pool

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    This only applies to the later "outside clip" style DC. The Matsuba joints for the "inside clip" style are every bit an equal to the OE unubtainium joints.

17. Jul 27, 2017 at 9:25 AM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    Throw up a wtb post if you already haven't. That's how someone hooked me up with one.

18. Jul 27, 2017 at 9:35 AM
    RangeDrive

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 V6 Double cab
    And mine is the outside clip, so the aftermarket ones suck? Does Toyota sell guenuine ones? I'm sorry for all the questions guys, I swear I'm mechanically inclined but I'm having a hard time twisting my head around the whole driveshaft issue.

Dalandser likes this.
  19. Jul 27, 2017 at 9:41 AM
    Dirty Pool

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    The jury is still out on the quality of the outside clip Rockford Driveline (USA made) replacement. I have not seen any bad press and one fellow on here has them but he also had a kid so he isn't around much.

20. Jul 28, 2017 at 2:25 PM
    tacoma_2002

tacoma_2002 Where We're Going We Don't Need Roads...

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Cotton Plant, Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    '02 Tacoma 4x4 TRD

You've obviously never cut into a stock Toyota driveshaft...:eek:

Thinnest wall material I've ever laid eyes on. I'm surprised they don't twist apart.

The problem is the Toyota tube is metric. Good luck with finding tube that will fit your current yokes perfect. The best bet would be to carry the yokes to a machine shop and have them turn the yokes down to a SAE size and buy SAE tubing. Problem is it likely wont be as balanced as a factory (or driveline shop) shaft. I've cut down and built a few shafts for crawlers...I've gotten very lucky and had very little vibration if any at all.

Products Discussed in

To Top