1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2006 Tacoma PreRunner 2nd Gen Lower Ball Joint Replacement

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BandanaBerg, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Oct 8, 2017 at 11:23 AM
    BandanaBerg

BandanaBerg [OP] Yotas Yotas Yotas Pocast

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Phoenix,AZ
    Vehicle:
    ‘06 PreRunner TRD Off Road
    Up Front; MaxTrac 4” Lift Spindles, Icon 2.5 Extended w/ Fox 600s, Icon Delta Joint UCAs, Total Chaos Cam Tab Gussets, US Off Road Hidden Winch Bumper w/ Engo S9 Winch, Pelfreybilt Legacy IFS Steel Skid... Out Back: Archive Garage Hammer Hangers w/ High Clearance Cross Bar, OME Expedition Pack, Icon 2.0 RR, All Pro U-Bolt Flip w/ Super Bumps, All Pro Extended Brake Lines, Dif Breather Mod, Custom Swing Gate Tire Carrier, Home Made Hi Lift Brackets & Hi Lift Jack Wheels & Tires: Pro Comp 5001 Wheels 16" on some 285/75/16 BFG AT KO2, "Custom" Frankenstein Cab Mount Chop, ARB Single Compressor (mounted in the cab behind the back passenger seat)... Up Top & Around: Trail Gear Rock Sliders, CaliRaised LED Premium Roof Rack w/ CaliRaised LED Dual Function Light Bar, CaliRaised LED Amber Fogs in CaliRaised LED LED Fog Light Pod Replacement Brackets, Anytime Fog Mod, CaliRaised LED Ditchlight Fogs on CaliRaised LED Low Profile Ditch Light Brackets, Voswitch UV100 Switch Controler, Chineseum Chase Ambers & reverse/camping LEDs, Relentless Bed Bars, Smittybilt Overlander RTT Misc Thangs: Tech Deck w Ram Ball Mounts
    Wanted to throw another little photo dump here of my lower ball joint replacement. Here are a couple of pictures of the first Moog joint that I used on the first & second attempt at getting it in...

IMG_6731.jpg

You can clearly see the angled lines where the joint went in crooked (twice) and pushed down the "threading material" that I believe is used to help keep the joint in place. I don't know the proper nomenclature for this. I had ordered two of these, one for each side, and decided to put this one aside and use the second new one. Not sure if this is enough to compromise the overall functionality of the part?
    IMG_6730.jpg

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    99TacoDriver likes this.
  2. Oct 24, 2017 at 7:13 PM
    beertimecontinuum

beertimecontinuum What's outside the simulation?

Member:
    First Name:
    Everett
    Ky,Earth,SolarSystem,MilkyWay,VirgoSupercluster
    Vehicle:
    10 Pyrite DCSB VEEEEEE 1.618
    FoxShox, Dirt King Heims, Chevy63s, 2UZ-FE V8 Flowmaster 40, Demello Front/DYF Rear w/Swigouts, BAMF sliders, DYFAF
    Going to be doing this soon, what are the opinions on the Moog? Would like to go OEM since I have 120k on mine and many miles of offroad hell have only now got them failing.
    Nice write up OP :cheers:

Red Demon and BandanaBerg[OP] like this.
  3. Oct 24, 2017 at 8:43 PM
    BandanaBerg

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Phoenix,AZ
    Vehicle:
    Up Front; MaxTrac 4” Lift Spindles, Icon 2.5 Extended w/ Fox 600s, Icon Delta Joint UCAs, Total Chaos Cam Tab Gussets, US Off Road Hidden Winch Bumper w/ Engo S9 Winch, Pelfreybilt Legacy IFS Steel Skid... Out Back: Archive Garage Hammer Hangers w/ High Clearance Cross Bar, OME Expedition Pack, Icon 2.0 RR, All Pro U-Bolt Flip w/ Super Bumps, All Pro Extended Brake Lines, Dif Breather Mod, Custom Swing Gate Tire Carrier, Home Made Hi Lift Brackets & Hi Lift Jack Wheels & Tires: Pro Comp 5001 Wheels 16" on some 285/75/16 BFG AT KO2, "Custom" Frankenstein Cab Mount Chop, ARB Single Compressor (mounted in the cab behind the back passenger seat)... Up Top & Around: Trail Gear Rock Sliders, CaliRaised LED Premium Roof Rack w/ CaliRaised LED Dual Function Light Bar, CaliRaised LED Amber Fogs in CaliRaised LED LED Fog Light Pod Replacement Brackets, Anytime Fog Mod, CaliRaised LED Ditchlight Fogs on CaliRaised LED Low Profile Ditch Light Brackets, Voswitch UV100 Switch Controler, Chineseum Chase Ambers & reverse/camping LEDs, Relentless Bed Bars, Smittybilt Overlander RTT Misc Thangs: Tech Deck w Ram Ball Mounts
    I didn't find it too difficult. The hardest part was getting the new joint in properly. As @Canoehead said take time to find the right set up from the Ball Joint Tool Set and it will help. The kit I borrowed from Auto Zone was pretty great with plenty of options to choose from. My first two attempts went in crooked and I ended up scrapping that part for the second new one (I had purchased two, one for each side) just to be safe. My impact was struggling to press the joint in. Over heating and smoking a bit... that's when I pulled out the cheater pipe.
    I'm green as fuck when it comes wrenching on my rig so I was definitely concerned about getting it done... but it all worked out. I feel pretty confident that I can do it again. I will be doing the passenger side soon.

99TacoDriver[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Oct 24, 2017 at 8:46 PM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+

Great write up sir :thumbsup:

5. Oct 24, 2017 at 8:48 PM
    BandanaBerg

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Phoenix,AZ
    Vehicle:
    Thanks!
    I read up a bit and found mixed opinions on Moog parts. Most were positive. A few friends swear by them so I went for it. OEM would def be solid but prob a bit more $$$... I'll let you know if the wheel falls off on the next trail! o_O

6. Oct 24, 2017 at 8:50 PM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    I rarely have any problems with Moog parts when I install them.

7. Oct 24, 2017 at 8:53 PM
    BandanaBerg

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Phoenix,AZ
    Vehicle:
    So far so good!
    Recently replaced my inner/outer tie rods and went Moog on those as well. We're still rolling!

Lord Helmet[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Oct 25, 2017 at 1:02 AM
    BandanaBerg

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Phoenix,AZ
    Vehicle:
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:

PapaBear[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Oct 25, 2017 at 1:06 AM
    BandanaBerg

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Phoenix,AZ
    Vehicle:
    PapaBear likes this.
  10. Oct 25, 2017 at 9:06 AM
    trdNick

trdNick Odie

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2020 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Hemi BigHorn
    If you put the new ball joint in the freezer overnight, it should go in a little easier :thumbsup:

11. Oct 25, 2017 at 9:21 AM
    Canoehead

Canoehead Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Duncan
    Dartmouth, NS Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 DCSB, lots of scratches
    Rearview mirror upside down
    As I understand it, the OEM replacement lower ball joint is only sold assembled into a new lower control arm. I have no doubt that the OEM is the best replacement, but I did not want to get involved in paying for replacing a serviceable LCA and then messing up the LCA bushings, etc. I expect that using the appropriate grease and at the right intervals may have a lot to do with the longevity of the Moog replacements, but I doubt any will last as long as the factory sealed ones that come mated to the LCA.

BandanaBerg[OP] likes this.
  12. Oct 25, 2017 at 9:24 AM
    Canoehead

Canoehead Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Duncan
    Dartmouth, NS Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 DCSB, lots of scratches
    Rearview mirror upside down
    The ball joint press I used had an adapter that fit onto the ball joint to press it in from the bottom, and a shorter on that fit over the LCA to clear the top end of the ball joint as it pressed through. That might help keeping it lined up when you start pressing it in. I wish I had a picture :(

13. Oct 25, 2017 at 10:46 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    The Moog joints are good. I've run them now for almost a year. Made in USA. Good job OP. I tried one of those bj kits but could not find the right adapters and collars. Found a shop near me that pressed them for $22 in 20 minutes.

14. Oct 27, 2017 at 12:37 PM
    Red Demon

Red Demon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vinnie
    Kennett Missouri
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4x4
    Tinted windows Upgrade to New 2014 radio Weather Tech Front Lift:2.5 ICON Extended Travel Coilover Shocks Icon Uni Ball Tubular UCA Rear Lift: Icon 1.5" AAL ICON 2.0 Aluminum Series Rear Shock Relentless Front Bumper Relentless Rear Bumper SOS Sliders and skid plate
    Nice write-up - I will be replacing the LBJ on the spare LCA that I pickup a while back :cheers: thanks OP

15. Oct 27, 2017 at 3:52 PM
    skullver

skullver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Ventura, CA-Carpinteria, CA, La Conchita, CA.
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4wd double cab, short bed, black. 2007 Sequoia SR5 Silver.
    Just for reference, those are called knurls. Press in wheel studs utilize the same feature. The theory with the knurling on balljoints is that they will still seat properly in a hole that has been hogged out slightly from wear or replacing the balljoint regularly. The down side(not really down side, but something to remember I guess) is they will also score the bore slightly so next time you replace them you will have to get the knurled ones also. That smear on your scrapped ball joint knurls means that the bore on your arms is still really tight:). It probably would have been fine like that though, keep them as spares.

I have no idea if the oem joints are knurled or not. I've only had my truck since July and luckily haven't had to do much to it.
    Cheers.

16. Oct 27, 2017 at 8:58 PM
    BandanaBerg

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Phoenix,AZ
    Vehicle:
    Knurls!
    Good to know. I will prob go ahead and still use this for the passenger side! :thumbsup:

17. Oct 28, 2017 at 12:28 AM
    jgallo60

jgallo60 Well-Known Member

Member:
    orange county, calif
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma supercharged
    most definitely go to autozone and for free get the 23piece ball joint tool kit!!

99TacoDriver and BandanaBerg[OP] like this.
  18. Oct 28, 2017 at 1:07 AM
    BandanaBerg

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Phoenix,AZ
    Vehicle:
    That's the one!

19. Oct 28, 2017 at 2:59 AM
    jgallo60

jgallo60 Well-Known Member

Member:
    orange county, calif
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma supercharged
    yes and to fully educate on the process go to you tube and type in for example 2007 Tacoma lower ball joint replacement! this is important for several reasons. by watching a 5 to 10 minute video showing how to- will make your job so much easier, plus these videos offer tips and what to avoid, etc. etc and most importantly most likely the tool kit rental from autozone will not come with instructions! no biggie you will have many you tube vids showing how to use that exact autozone tool rental to choose from,well worth it trust me because no way would I have been able to accomplish ball joint replace without cussing, throwing tools, pissing off the wifey and neighbors, damaging new ball joint etc! honestly its amazing how smooth the tool kit rental works and youll know what I mean after u do it!!

20. Nov 22, 2017 at 7:48 PM
    TjAlmeida

TjAlmeida Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma
    Curious if your kit came with an external dust boot as well? I had mine installed by a shop this summer because i was crunched for time and noticed my passenger side large dust boot was slipping off. Took it half apart today to clean out the boot and try and reinstall it and noticed the 'integral' dust boot. The Moog website either explains the system poorly, or the shop that installed the ball joints added their own external dust boots because they did not know about this 'integral' system. So now I am not sure do I take off both large dust boots and just run the integral one, or are the large dust boots supposed to be there. Also is there supposed to be grease in the large boot. :facepalm: I missed the Moog tech call hours today. Also weird thing is i called them last week about the large dust boot falling off. He said that the large dust boots have a metal spring clip built into the boot and never once mentioned this integral boot system lol..

Products Discussed in

To Top