1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2011 DC Window Rattle

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by NickM, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Feb 27, 2012 at 4:19 PM
    NickM

NickM [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    DE
    Vehicle:
    SR5 V6 4X4
    Yakima Roof Racks
    Hey guys, my 2011 DC Taco seems to rattle everywhere. Maybe I have a lemon or somehting. Anyways, I have been to dealership 3 times and they have replaced all the weather stripping on driver side. no fix. any ideas? if i press on top corner of weather stripping (driver side) inside it goes away but the stripping is tight. when I shut the door I hear a distinct rattle in the door. The rattle only happens when window is up. if i crack it a bit, It's gone. 5 techs and they dont know whats going on. I want to love driving my taco but thats only possible when i turn up the radio and drown out the rattle. numerous other unidentified rattles as well. anyone else?

-Nick
    p.s. happens at all speeds. the window does not move like it is loose either.

2. Apr 6, 2012 at 10:00 AM
    Memichal132Baron

Memichal132Baron Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Minneapolis, MN
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    TRD CAI, TRD Cat-Back Exhaust, TRD Retro Ball Style Shifter Knob, 6" Pro Comp Stage 1 Suspension Lift, Pro Comp 7089 flat black 18x9 wheels, 35"x12.5" Nitto Trail Grapplers, PL5300 Tailgate Handle, Access TonoSport cover, Hypertech In-line Speedometer Calibrator, Front windows tinted - 35%, Smittybilt 3" Black Nerf bars, Black Procomp skid plate.
    I also have noticed a creeking/rattling noise starting from what seems to be the top of the drivers side door. I think it is coming from the weather stripping. The passenger side does not make the noise. I am going to check the hinge bolts and also possibly try putting an extra thin strip between the inner and outter factory weather strip. I noticed that if I take something about 3/8" and shut it in the door, it stops the noise. So I am thinking the extra weather strip might help.

If anyone else has the same problem and a possible fix, plese share.

3. Apr 6, 2012 at 10:02 AM
    kirkofwimbo

kirkofwimbo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 Tundra SR 4x4
    Try wiping the weather stripping down with armor all

4. Apr 8, 2012 at 4:52 AM
    NickM

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    DE
    Vehicle:
    SR5 V6 4X4
    Yakima Roof Racks
    Well...Now that I have calmed down from my "venting" first post...Here is what I have done:
    1. I have tried armor all on the seals. No Diff
    2. I have tried electrical tape where the window makes contact - 75%Reduction. I cant Just leave electrical tape up there. The window is tight in place so It must be moving just a tiny bit. It is from the rear top corner in the "bend" of the seal. Only on Driver door.
    3. All weather stripping replaced by dealer- no diff.

Any ideas on what I could tape or glue on to the seal and...will it affect the water seal?

MeMICHAL: the door hinge bolts?

5. Apr 8, 2012 at 10:00 AM
    drsus

drsus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    4Runner TRDpro
    stock
  6. Apr 8, 2012 at 12:19 PM
    monsterkx2fiddy

monsterkx2fiddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Birthplace of Davy Crockett
    Tighten your door panel!

7. Apr 8, 2012 at 2:57 PM
    NickM

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    DE
    Vehicle:
    SR5 V6 4X4
    Yakima Roof Racks
    How do I tighten my door panel? I 303'd my seals and door frame, No diff. Do you think it is the window or the door?

-Nick

8. Apr 9, 2012 at 6:23 AM
    Memichal132Baron

Memichal132Baron Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Minneapolis, MN
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    TRD CAI, TRD Cat-Back Exhaust, TRD Retro Ball Style Shifter Knob, 6" Pro Comp Stage 1 Suspension Lift, Pro Comp 7089 flat black 18x9 wheels, 35"x12.5" Nitto Trail Grapplers, PL5300 Tailgate Handle, Access TonoSport cover, Hypertech In-line Speedometer Calibrator, Front windows tinted - 35%, Smittybilt 3" Black Nerf bars, Black Procomp skid plate.
    I tried Armorall, but it didnt really help. But, the wipes I used were a little dry, so it did clean the dust off, but didnt leave much of an armorall effect. I will try to give it a good cleaning in about a week or so to see if it really does work.

Also, i stuck some 3/8" foam weather strip on the factory weather strip in the area of the noise to see if closing the gap might help. It did not. I am going to look into that 303 idea from the other thread and see if that helps.

And, I did try tightening the door hinge bolts. They were still pretty tight, only got at most a 3/4 turn on one of them. Did not affect anything. Door still makes noise.

Now I am noticing another rattle which sounds like its coming from inside the access door. this is driving me nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Apr 9, 2012 at 8:38 AM
    monsterkx2fiddy

Member:
    Try tightening the two bolts on the door panel. On my ranger I thought my door was boobling or something. Then it started hobbling and squeaking. Tightened the door panel after lots of trial and error and it was fixed lol
    Hopefully its the same with yours. I noticed in my Tacoma if my windows not fully up or down when I go up my driveway the glass rattles by the mirror.

10. Apr 9, 2012 at 8:44 AM
    monsterkx2fiddy

Member:
    Sorry didnt read last post.
    in my previous car I put some weather stripping (probably the same you used) and took factory off and shoved it inside of factory and replaced.

If you think its the door rattling. Maybe try switching the two little bumps on the door usually the bottom is linger. That'll cause the door to sit tighter hopefully preventing rattle? Ill try to take pics.

Maybe it your door hinge?

11. Apr 9, 2012 at 8:45 AM
    monsterkx2fiddy

Member:
    Longer*
    sorry I'm on my cellphone

12. Apr 9, 2012 at 8:47 AM
    NickM

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    DE
    Vehicle:
    SR5 V6 4X4
    Yakima Roof Racks
    The noise comes form this top corner and I have been able to duplicate some of the noises by pressing and feeling around. On my trail blazer there is like cloth or felt or something on it Pics attatched.

IMG_9201 (640x427).jpg
    IMG_9202 (640x427).jpg
    IMG_9203 (640x427).jpg
    IMG_9204 (640x427).jpg
    IMG_9206 (640x427).jpg

13. Apr 9, 2012 at 9:05 AM
    drsus

drsus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    4Runner TRDpro
    stock
    to me it sounds like the weather stepping is sticking and unsticking, but pressing hard on the door to simulate it not unsticking doesnt help....iof that makes sense

14. Apr 9, 2012 at 9:14 AM
    650H1

650H1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 (Cement) TRD O/R
    ^ mine does it and thats what im thinking.. the sticking and unsticking. it does drive me fackin nuts though listening to it, esp when driving on road where there are a bunch of little bumps. idk how the frig id tighten my door panel........ ive also tried everything, what seemed to work the best was a set of in channel vent shades, with some silicon adhesive on them, that reduced my noises by like 62% lol...

15. Apr 9, 2012 at 12:33 PM
    NickM

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    DE
    Vehicle:
    SR5 V6 4X4
    Yakima Roof Racks
    well Toyota told me they would pay for rain guards since they say the noise is "wind generated". They can not buy from outside sources and I have to go through the dealership to get them. they only sell the over the window not the in window ones. either way I will take them on that deal and see if it makes a diff. I have been spending a lot of time and I will see if I can find a better solution.

16. Apr 9, 2012 at 12:51 PM
    tacoma16

tacoma16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    mine makes a noise,and when i press up against the glass it goes away. Its not that bad, but still annoying

17. Apr 9, 2012 at 1:07 PM
    gooch14

gooch14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2011 Blk DC Taco SR5 4x LB
    Bestop, Child Seats, petrified french fry, dog hair, empty Mtn Dew cans cracked windshield, scratches.
    Mine creeks/rattles/rubs on the driver side top windshield.

18. Apr 9, 2012 at 2:34 PM
    NickM

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    DE
    Vehicle:
    SR5 V6 4X4
    Yakima Roof Racks
    When I press the glass it goes away as well. So today I doused the weather strips in armor all and sprayed it in the window wx strip as well. Short term improvement for sure. 80%. I assume it will come back every couple of days. I will just have to monitor it. Thanks for the input guys. The armor all/303 suggestion was beneficial at first I just didn't use enough. After a heavy application, much better. still searching for a more permanent solution but I need to see how long this will last.

19. Apr 10, 2012 at 8:20 AM
    Memichal132Baron

Memichal132Baron Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Minneapolis, MN
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I am having the dealer replace all my driver side weather stripping tomorrow and I will let you guys know if this helps.

20. Mar 8, 2013 at 11:58 AM
    spunger1

spunger1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Santa Barbara
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB TRD Sport
    Icon Stage 3 lift, 265/70/17 Nitto's on Method Mesh 17" Weather Tech Floor Mats Wet Okole Seat Covers Relentless Fab Tailgate Undercover bed cover To Come: SOS Bolt on Rock Sliders/steps Full Custom Sound system (Image Dynamics CXS/CTX Speakers, JL HD900/5, 2 10TW3 subs in custom boxes built by Mr. Marv
    My 2013 is doing the same thing as described above. Did you ever get the problem fixed by the dealer?

I tried the silicone spray and it did nothing as I think it's rubbing or making noises on the door inself (or most of the upper part of the door). Not sure how they want to address or fix it but my problems are exactly what's like in the post and the others I've found.

Products Discussed in

To Top