1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012 Illuminated 4x4 switch woes

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by JoCoQS, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Jan 23, 2014 at 4:21 PM
    JoCoQS

JoCoQS [OP] This until I can afford a REAL truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2016 Jeep Cherokee
    I had a lengthy post for this thread written and after I reviewed the post I closed the window instead of submitting it and lost everything. That makes me SOOO happy.

At any rate, I read the post by mhagie, 2012 Illuminated 4x4 selector switch, (found here: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/207924-2012-illuminated-4x4-selector-switch-3.html) and was convinced that I needed to perform this same mod on my 2012 DCSB.

I purchased a 2010 4Runner 4x4 selector switch (dial-not cheap) in the summer of 2013 and finally decided I would complete this mod...6 months later.

The 4Runner dial and the OEM Tacoma dial aren't EXACTLY the same size but so close that this is very nearly a plug -n- play mod with the exception of adding a ground wire and a power wire to the back of the dial wiring harness (there is a thread with very good photos explaining how to do this but I can't recall precisely where I read it).

Once the ground & power wire are added to the harness it's just a matter of plugging the 4Runner dial in and turning on your lights. Voila...a lighted 4x4 dial!

Like mhagie, I removed the amber-colored rubber cover from the stock 4Runner bulb but the indicators were still too amber-ish for me. I tried the exact same LED bulb mhagie used and I liked the color but it lit the H4 indicator much more than the H2 or L4 indicators. This is because the dial illumination bulb is located directly behind the H4 indicator and LED bulbs have a narrow beam angle for the light they emit.

I ordered a couple of bulbs from superbrightleds.com that had a 360 degree viewing angle but unfortunately both bulbs burned out as they couldn't handle the amperage of the 4x4 dial.

I put the OEM bulb back in and will learn to live with amber-ish colored indicators until I find an LED with a very wide light beam angle, or another bright filament-type bulb, that will work in this application.

Like mhagie I preferred the color of the LED light but my dislike of the difference in brightness was greater than my dislike of the difference in color from the stock Tacoma dash colors.

I realize I have only one photo (showing the difference in color between the 4Runner dial and my OEM Tacoma dash lights)[/SIZE] but there are many good photos already posted for all the instructions needed to perform this mod.

P.S. There is NO way to illuminate a 2012 OEM Tacoma 4x4 dial. I took mine completely apart and the indicators are painted on and there is no way to transmit light through them since they are painted on to solid plastic.

P.P.S. Sorry for how blurry the photo is. I was rock steady when I took the photo but apparently my camera's autofocus doesn't work so well in the dark.

DSC00283.jpg

2. Jan 23, 2014 at 4:29 PM
    fyremanpat

fyremanpat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC LB TRD Sport w/Entune
    OME 886x and 5100's all the way around. Toytec AAL. Phillips x-treme vision headlights. 886 reverse lights. Borla exhaust. 20% tint. Hi 6 mod. 285/65/18 Nitto TG on 18" Moto Metal 955's. Airaid intake. Scanguage2.JBA LT's.GC Grill..more to come.
    I want to do this! any pics of install, wiring, etc?

3. Jan 23, 2014 at 4:55 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    How well exactly does the switch fit? What was the price of the 4runner switch?

4. Jan 23, 2014 at 5:36 PM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    I periodically bookmark mods I want to attempt some day on here. This is one of them. I think this was the thread you were looking for to link in your OP:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/3681-diy-gen-2-illuminated-4wd-switch.html

And 4Runner switch on Camelback Toyota (~$76)
    http://partsfactory.camelbacktoyota.com/oem-part/toyota/4runner/2006/sr5/4-0l-v6-gas/body-hardware/cluster-and-switches/control-switch/84724-35020

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  5. Jan 23, 2014 at 5:40 PM
    fyremanpat

fyremanpat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC LB TRD Sport w/Entune
    OME 886x and 5100's all the way around. Toytec AAL. Phillips x-treme vision headlights. 886 reverse lights. Borla exhaust. 20% tint. Hi 6 mod. 285/65/18 Nitto TG on 18" Moto Metal 955's. Airaid intake. Scanguage2.JBA LT's.GC Grill..more to come.
    thats for the 05-11's. not the 12-14's. ours are different

edit: but i guess the wiring is the same

6. Jan 23, 2014 at 5:40 PM
    JoCoQS

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2016 Jeep Cherokee
    mhagie did a write up on on the wiring for his install. It is locatable in the OP link. The cost of the 4Runner 4x4 dial I will search for but if I recall it was somewhere in the $73 range. It was 6 months ago and I might be remembering wrong but I will search. I'll also search to see if I can find the wiring write up I read, it had really good photos included.

7. Jan 23, 2014 at 5:42 PM
    JoCoQS

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2016 Jeep Cherokee
    I didn't answer that question. The 4Runner switch fit like it was made for the Tacoma. At least mine did.

8. Jan 23, 2014 at 5:42 PM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    Yes the wiring principle is the same.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  9. Jan 23, 2014 at 5:45 PM
    JoCoQS

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2016 Jeep Cherokee
    JdevTac, yes that is the wiring write up and photos I was referring to. The write up was for an pre-'12 Tacoma but the wiring was the same. Now to find the cost for the switch...

10. Jan 23, 2014 at 6:24 PM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen

I put a link in my post above to Camelback Toyota parts department. Switch is $76 on their site.

11. Jan 23, 2014 at 6:27 PM
    JoCoQS

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2016 Jeep Cherokee
    After doing some searching I think I purchased my switch from Camelback Toyota. Their current price for the switch is $76.61 which, if I recall correctly, is what I thought I paid. The switch is for a 2009 4Runner (I thought it was a 2010 switch but apparently it wasn't) and the part number is 8472435020.

That's about all I can share for this mod although I'll answer any questions I can. I do know it is nice to have the 4x4 dial lit when it's dark. I can't believe Toyota cheaped out by not putting an illumination bulb in the 4x4 dial. What an inexpensive and very useful feature.

Goosie0080 likes this.
  12. Sep 8, 2014 at 8:39 PM
    Faryota

Faryota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mic
    Ridgefield, WA.
    Vehicle:
    13, 4x4, long bed, Sport, Debad
    6" BDS lift in front, warn winch, AFE cold air intake & exhaust, Body Armor Rear bumper, Tuffy in bed storage box, DZ bed mat, ARB front bumper & Warn winch w/light kit, Husky floor mats, dash mat,
    I also changed out my switch! I really wanted the lighted one...if you EVER find the right bulb that's works let me know!!!!

13. Jan 29, 2017 at 6:57 PM
    TegoTaco

TegoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White Tacoma DCLB TRD SPORT
    Anyone try putting wax paper to distribute the light evenly? Some how? I've seen it used in gauge clusters when they have the same problem of the uneven light distribution.

14. Jan 29, 2017 at 7:01 PM
    TegoTaco

TegoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White Tacoma DCLB TRD SPORT
  15. Feb 2, 2017 at 10:33 PM
    SamuelJ

SamuelJ Darkhorse

Member:
    First Name:
    Samuel
    33.9269893 -118.0185768
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB 4x4 Trd Sport
    Shortened flowmaster exhaust with a turn down pipe, under cowl intake, throttle body spacer, train horn, underhood led lights, hood struts, dual 27f yellow tops. Led ditch lights, led front roof light bar, led fogs and headlights, behind grill mounted piaa dual color driving lights. Aux fuse and relay panel. Pro comp skid plate, bilstein 5100 leveling shocks on a 2in. lift, b110 rear 5100, add a leaf, front superbumps, light racing jounce rear bumpstops, sway bar relocation, brake line bracket extension, driveline carrier bearing drop, front diff drop, on board air compressor, 10 gal pump driven fresh water tank, cb radio, pioneer 4200 hu, infinity reference component front and component rear speakers powered by rockford fosgate 4 channel, jl audio 10TW3-D4 sub powered by kx800.1 amplifier. Big three upgrade, capacitor. Full cab sound deadening and thermal insulation. Led interior including added footwell, courtesy, cupholder, center console, and glovebox lighting, rock lights, bed lights, ring gear armor, under bed ammo can storage, pistol safe, body armor sliders, roof rack, hilift, 285/70 17 nitto rodge grapplers on american racing teflon atx, tailgate strut, and tailgate lock, retrofit projector headlights(home built), rgb halos inside turbine shrouds, black out surround, black chrome reflector and shroud, white halo outside shroud, white led drl, rgb behind grill on rf control. Mods followed from a TW thread: Anytime fogs Anytime rear view camera Anytime 400w inverter Alternating blinker/running lights 110v center console outlet ABS kill switch Engine kill switch (magnetic) 12volt bed socket Rear diff breather relocation Led bed lights Cargo net anchors Grid it center console top Grid it sun visor Locking center console Instrument cluster led swap Map lights on with dome Cigarette lighter add (shifter position) Dtrl kill switch Hilux lighted 4wd selector switch. Vios hvac knobs Hood scoop led bar
    After reading up on the illuminated 4wd selector switch mods, I went with the hilux version rather than the 4runner. It was cheaper and comes already in blue light. Down side, you have to add a bezel ring as it is slightly smaller. I bought mine from another tw member who is selling them. As for the led's burning out, you can add a resistor inline that will keep it from burning out. Get the specs for your led (voltage, forward current, ect.) There are led resistor calculators on the net that tell you which one is correct for yours. I got the led calculator on my phone through google play store for free. Used it several times and it works like a champ.

Products Discussed in

To Top