1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012 Reverse Camera Switch

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by nut, Feb 13, 2012.

1. May 7, 2012 at 11:56 PM
    Tactical Tacoma

Tactical Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    McKinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    '12 MGM DCSB Sport 4WD
    ARB air compressor, ARB rear air locker, sPOD switch panel in sunglass holder, OME Front & rear shocks, 885x coils, Dakar leaf springs, Icon tubular UCA's, Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust, aFe Pro Dry, TRD Sport wheels powder coated anthracite, FJ TRD center caps, Thule roof rack, 886 fog lights for reverse light mod, CSjumper LED DTRL's, Nokya Yellow fogs, plastidipped lower valence, Weathertechs, Wet Okoles. And MANY MORE MODS, READ BUILD!
    That's what I would like to be able to do, display on both.

2. Aug 9, 2012 at 7:42 PM
    Tactical Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    McKinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    '12 MGM DCSB Sport 4WD
    ARB air compressor, ARB rear air locker, sPOD switch panel in sunglass holder, OME Front & rear shocks, 885x coils, Dakar leaf springs, Icon tubular UCA's, Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust, aFe Pro Dry, TRD Sport wheels powder coated anthracite, FJ TRD center caps, Thule roof rack, 886 fog lights for reverse light mod, CSjumper LED DTRL's, Nokya Yellow fogs, plastidipped lower valence, Weathertechs, Wet Okoles. And MANY MORE MODS, READ BUILD!
    THREAD REVIVAL!!!!

Anybody actually done the anytime camera mod for the touchscreen Entune system? Or figured out how to route the camera image to both the Entune screen and the mirror?

3. Apr 6, 2013 at 4:52 PM
    Drakivnsf

Drakivnsf Dance Party Guru

Member:
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    '12 White Tacoma DCLB 4x4
    TRD Supercharger, URD CAI, BRP pre-axle catback, Anytime Rearview Camera mod, Power Sliding rear window, Glassworks Unlimited Front Fenders, ScS Stealth 6 wheels, Nitto Terra Grapplers 285/70/17, 3" All-Pro Std Leafs, 2.0 Fox adj. res. shocks, 2.5 Fox res. Coilovers, All-Pro +2" LT kit, Timbren Bumpstops front and rear, All-Pro U-Bolt flip kit, Pelfreybilt Hybrid front bumper, RCI IFS Skid, RCI Sliders, more to come.....
    I was going to start a new thread, but I have been on other forums for a very long time and I know better. Anyways I finally got around to cracking open my truck and tinkering around to try and do this with my entune. I got it to work and its awesome, bare with me as my truck is dirty and I kind of was figuring things out as I went since I wasn't sure if it would work or not. I did have to change the way I hooked the witch up since it wouldn't work the way the normal mirror mod was connected. Remember, TRY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. I am not responsible for anything that should go wrong if you attempt this. Anyways, here we go:

First you will need to have the items listed in Crom's mod, except you can use a regular rocker switch if you want since you only need 2 terminals not 3 as it wouldn't work for me. You will need to get access to your fuse panel and route a wire from where you will add the circuit to where you will install the switch.

pic3_dfd4a0ed4e6504c22b762e08454377641ed73333.jpg

Next you will need to remove the glove compartment, and to do this it's very easy if you have never done so. Just open it, then gently squeeze the side towards the inside of the compartment from the outside where the 2 pegs are holding it from falling and it will slide right down. Next detach the plunger/shock from its mount, it should just pop off with gentle pressure.

pic8_14f411ab6eeccbe4563d702fa805e2429394680c.jpg

Once that is done it will be hanging and now you can just pop it straight off. Now you have access to the computer wiring and such.

photo-1_8247789edc98a962553be3eabe213596d6ff07c4.jpg

Now looking towards the right side of where the glove compartment used to be if you are facing it, there will be loads of wiring. Don't get discouraged, it's not too hard to reach. It will be located on the most left terminal connections. And it will be at the bottom of that column.

pic7_fb3700c7e50f0ca853fde500a84bda28beac6377.jpg

pic6_87e8a751fa1d53d0d0d2cec1a7d036d051a298e8.jpg

Now before attempting anything, I suggest disconnecting the battery before you start cutting/splicing/or connecting anything just to be safe. Now, disconnect that bottom plug and the wire will be the Number 2 lead for that plug, which will be the second position up from the bottom right column if it were still plugged in.

pic5_2237f0e4d08ebff2f7aa34d02d7ad96e13d52cb7.jpg

Now you will want to route another wire from where you are going to install the switch to this location. Now you cut the wire and run 2 wires to the switch. 1 wire will be from the computer, and the other is from the entune unit.

pic4_ff68b89ab3a7df714212018bf9c697fa2f829a6d.jpg

Now the wire from the computer will connect to the COM terminal on your SPDT switch. The other wire from the entune unit will connect to the NC terminal. Then the 12v signal from your add-a-circuit will connect to your NO terminal. The video will help show you how it looks. Here is where I chose to install my switch btw:

pic2_49d1219f286128971af385f122ec55045fe6274c.jpg

Now for the add a circuit in your fuse box, just make sure you install it into a pre-existing fuse position lower than 10 amps. I chose the ACC position which is 7.5 amps.

pic3_dfd4a0ed4e6504c22b762e08454377641ed73333.jpg

Now you can go ahead and connect the wires to your switch and that should be it. Go ahead and reconnect your battery and test the switch out to make sure it works. Once you're done testing it and its working you can button everything back up and be done with it. I hope this helps anyone that wanted to do this with your entune. If anyone has anything to add or suggest, please feel free. Enjoy!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
    carbon likes this.
  4. Apr 6, 2013 at 4:57 PM
    Drakivnsf

Member:
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    TRD Supercharger, URD CAI, BRP pre-axle catback, Anytime Rearview Camera mod, Power Sliding rear window, Glassworks Unlimited Front Fenders, ScS Stealth 6 wheels, Nitto Terra Grapplers 285/70/17, 3" All-Pro Std Leafs, 2.0 Fox adj. res. shocks, 2.5 Fox res. Coilovers, All-Pro +2" LT kit, Timbren Bumpstops front and rear, All-Pro U-Bolt flip kit, Pelfreybilt Hybrid front bumper, RCI IFS Skid, RCI Sliders, more to come.....
  5. Apr 6, 2013 at 9:15 PM
    OmegaQuest

OmegaQuest Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Limited Double Cab 4X4
    Oil Catch Can, Motorcycle Chock, WeatherTech Window Deflectors, Bilstein 5100, OEM 4 Leaf, Chrome Satoshi Grille, FX-R Stage III Retrofit, Color Match Head Light Mod, Front Hella 500 HID, Behind Grill Light Bar, Rear LED Bed Lights, Pop and Lock Tailgate, Chrome License Plate Covers, AFE Air Filter, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Paint engine cover (Red), ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Center Console Organizer, ScanGauge 2, Firestone W217602407 Ride-Rite Kit, Firestone WR17602178 Air-Rite Dual Electric Air Command
    How is your backup cam showing in the entune HU? I have the 13 and it only shows up in the mirror and not the entune JBL Headunit....

6. Apr 6, 2013 at 11:11 PM
    Drakivnsf

Member:
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    I don't know what package determines where it shows up, but I think it might have something to do with the homelink package. I am going to guess you don't have homelink and therefore it shows up in the mirror. Again this is just a guess as I don't know for sure, but that seems to be the factor because my friend doesn't have the homelink and his is in the mirror, while I have homelink and its on the entune screen.

7. Apr 7, 2013 at 1:44 AM
    Tactical Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    McKinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    '12 MGM DCSB Sport 4WD
    I have home link and mine is in the HU, but I would love to be able to have it in both and with a switch. THANKS TO YOU, I can finally have a switch though. You are the bomb. The reverse light makes me nervous though. Let us know how this works out, I'm curious what happens whey you're going 60+ and hit the switch, hopefully you don't kill the tranny. I wonder if your reverse lights come on; have you checked?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  8. Apr 7, 2013 at 2:19 AM
    Drakivnsf

Member:
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    Im still testing, i gotta look into a couple of things and ill let you know. But so far nothing bad going 60 and flipping the switch. It seems that lead just sends a signal to everything related to putting it in reverse aside from the transmission. It turns on the reverse lights in your tails too, but it works out cause at night it lights up where your camera is looking. Funny too cause it trips people out if they are tailgating lol. But like i said i need to check a couple more things in the next couple days and i'll let you know how it goes.

9. Apr 7, 2013 at 6:28 AM
    Glocker23

Glocker23 Drive fast take chances

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    Debadged, Tonneau cover, Grillcraft MX grill, OKLED 20" light bar in grill, Aero AT2525 muffler
    :thumbup:

10. Apr 7, 2013 at 4:34 PM
    Drakivnsf

Member:
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    I did that and it didnt work....maybe ill look at it again and see if i missed something

11. Apr 8, 2013 at 6:59 AM
    OmegaQuest

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    Oil Catch Can, Motorcycle Chock, WeatherTech Window Deflectors, Bilstein 5100, OEM 4 Leaf, Chrome Satoshi Grille, FX-R Stage III Retrofit, Color Match Head Light Mod, Front Hella 500 HID, Behind Grill Light Bar, Rear LED Bed Lights, Pop and Lock Tailgate, Chrome License Plate Covers, AFE Air Filter, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Paint engine cover (Red), ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Center Console Organizer, ScanGauge 2, Firestone W217602407 Ride-Rite Kit, Firestone WR17602178 Air-Rite Dual Electric Air Command

I have the Homelinc system, and JBL with Entune and it only shows in the Mirror.

12. Apr 9, 2013 at 3:54 AM
    Drakivnsf

Member:
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    Then i have no clue what the factor is at all.

13. Apr 10, 2013 at 12:39 PM
    Drakivnsf

Member:
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    Ok everyone, sorry it took me so long to get back to you work can be a pain in the butt. I updated the write up and it is all corrected now. Works flawlessly, thank you caribe makaira for the advice. I updated the video post as well for anyone interested! Is there anyway of adding this to the mods list so more people can see this post?

14. Apr 10, 2013 at 3:41 PM
    nut

nut [OP] she'll ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Totaled
    TRD SKEWP DCSB 4x4 Silver Mica | URD TCAI/MAF CAL | BHLM | GrillCraft | FF Sliders | LED's All Around | 12v Constant On | EGR In Channel | 15% Tint | Trimmed mud flaps | Fog Light Anytime Mod | Debadged | Tailgate Hoseclamp | DTRL Switch | Disabled Lock Beep/Seatbelt Chime | Husky Liners | HID's | BedRug | WO Seat Covers | ABS Kill Switch | Oil Catch Can | Viper 5704 | Custom Carbon Cabin Filter | Backup Camera Anytime | 400W Anytime | In Cab Outlet W/USB | Firestone Ride Rites | Ams Oil All Around | 32" LED In Lower Grill | BlackVue DR500GW-HD |
    will this method work for NON-jbl?

15. Apr 10, 2013 at 3:52 PM
    Jetman1979

Jetman1979 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma 4X4
    I am not looking to do this mod howevef I did find very usefull the pictures of were all the ECUs are located on the taco. I assume they are in the same spots for a 2009.

16. Apr 10, 2013 at 3:56 PM
    Drakivnsf

Member:
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    to be honest I do not know if it is the same for a non-jbl or not. I would suggest testing the wire with a volt meter on yours to see. If it is, then your golden. 12v in reverse, 0v when in park or any other position.

I want to say yes, but my truck is a 2012 entune equipped model. So things may be located in different spots or not I do not know. Sorry I couldn't help you with this.

17. Apr 10, 2013 at 4:06 PM
    Jerez

Jerez SoCal LED Dash Swap

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Diamond Bar/Ontario, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 2wd converted to 4wd
    Estock
    Yes, all tacomas have their ecus behind the glove compartment

18. Apr 10, 2013 at 4:16 PM
    OmegaQuest

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    So does this mean it "Will" work for my 2013 Limited with JBL Entune since as of right now, the only place I can get the OEM backup camera is in the mirror. I even went to the dealership today and asked them and they said they have never heard of it being an "option" or ever heard of such a thing for the Tacoma's to put it in the Entune NAV screen.

19. Apr 10, 2013 at 4:21 PM
    Drakivnsf

Member:
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    Well they are on crack because mine's a 2012 and it is on the nav screen like a G. It should work, like I said just check that wire with a volt meter to check it. Don't cut unless you know for sure lol.

20. Apr 10, 2013 at 6:00 PM
    OmegaQuest

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    Something still isnt adding up. Is there anyone with a 2013 with it in the Entune NAV?

I wonder if they made some changes to to the 13's that disable this...

Do you have a photo of the back of your Entune system so I can compair the wires and connections to mine?

To Top