1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2020 Automatic issues on the HWY

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Jonas111, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Jul 12, 2020 at 7:08 AM
    camillethetoy

camillethetoy Just a Minor Threat

Member:
    First Name:
    jeremy
    KCMO
    Vehicle:
    98 T100
    It will get better after about 2k miles, don't panic too hard

2. Jul 12, 2020 at 7:16 AM
    Taco_Coma

Taco_Coma That's a lovely accent you have. New Jersey?

Member:
    South NJ
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB SR5
  3. Jul 12, 2020 at 8:16 AM
    TacoPharm

TacoPharm Follower of Jibbers Crabst

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4
    SPC Light Racing UCA Eibach Pro-Truck Lift System Deaver Stage 1 Leafs Wheelers Superbumps x4 Wheelers U-bolt Flip Kit SCS Ray10 16x8 Gun Metal 285/75/r16 BFG A/T KO2 CMC by @Speed Freek 4.88 Gears CBI Alu Full Skids Sliders by @Shmellmopwho SOS Concepts Streamline Bumper Warn Xeon 10-S winch Factor 55 Flatlink E recovery shackle Optima Red Top 35 @Coupe “TRD” Batt. Hold down Baja Designs Squadron SAE Fogs Caliraised Ditch lights Hypertech Speedometer corrector Fend-X inner fender guards ARE Z-Series Topper DYI sleeping platform
    Congrats on your new purchase! This question comes up quite often, and is one of the hot button topics, like an oil or tire thread there are strong and varying opinions. In my experience, the issues start with expectations.

The 3.5L is not a low RPM torque monster like a V8 diesel, for any sort of acceleration or maintaining an uphill speed it will want to live in the higher RPM range. It utilizes the Atkinson's cycle for efficiency and the Otto cycle for power situations. Here is a discussion on that. I learned to drive on a 92 Toyota pickup with the 22RE 5 speed, talk about a dog! :goingcrazy:

Mix that with an interior that has the sound properties of a metal drainage pipe and you get to hear everything your engine is doing as if you are in the engine bay. But the Tacoma is rooted with a utilitarian history, not luxury and comfort. Some have had great success with sound proofing to give the workhorse a plush and quiet ride. Here is one example.

Another factor is the transmission. There are many threads on this and other forums regarding them. From what I've gathered, they are geared and programed to meet emissions standards and drivability :notsure:. It has a double overdrive that it rarely utilized with stock tires and in my experience with 33s only used it going downhill. The gear hunting never bothered me, I would either use ECT or S5 in situations that the computer was having problems handling. It's not a self driving car and the algorithms it uses to pick which gear to be in don't seem to be that sophisticated. If you have larger tires and have not corrected the speedometer, the ECU and trans controller are also getting incorrect speed vs RPM data as well, making gear choice that much more challenging.

Regearing can help especially with larger diameter tires
    4.88 mega thread
    5.29 mega thread
    I like my 4.88 and 33s but after a few hundred miles, the ECU and Trans controller have worked their magic and it acts much like it did before the regear, but it does have an easier time up and down the So Cal hills. It still likes to be in the higher RPMs going up hills, and still likes to try and keep RPMs as low as possible when not accelerating.

To fix this Orange Virus Tuning has some options for reflashing the ECU for customizable options for power delivery and gear shift points and they continue to bring new options as time goes on, like battery voltage options for AGM batteries and gear lockouts for offroad usability. The great thing is, if you don't like how your vehicle does something, there is a way to modify it. :kona:

The Tacoma is a great truck, but you have to have your expectations of it aligned with the manufacturer's design for a wide variety of drivers and meet the ever increasing fuel emissions standards in the US and other countries. Its a good 'all arounder' kinda like a utility player in baseball, but not particularly great at any one thing (without modifications :smokertransformer:).

That was longer than I thought it was going to be :bored::laugh:

4. Jul 12, 2020 at 8:27 AM
    VB25

VB25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR ACLB AT
    It will learn your driving style and begin to shift a little less often or randomly. This engine likes to spin fast so don’t be afraid of higher RPMs. I’ve yet to read of a transmission failure On AC60 so it’s not hard on it to shift a lot. OVtune, although not a necessity, made my truck drive a lot nicer. Shifts are twice as smooth and the truck doesn’t lunge or bog anymore. The Accel pedal Became predictable. But it’s 1200 for us Canadians so you’ll probably put it off for two years like me :D

Jonas111[OP] likes this.
  5. Jul 12, 2020 at 8:49 AM
    zoo truck

zoo truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 quicksand sr5 tacoma
    None
    You wanna talk dogs..i had those 4 cylinders, some ran better than others, but nothing compared to that v6 in my 93 toyota pickup. That v6 had less power than some of the fours. As for those 2 overdrive gears....my truck runs fine using both of them. Keeps the rpm lower than my tundra when on the back roads, and highway's. I can even maintain 5th on some of the longer grades that aren't very steep. Now towing, different story. I was wondering in the early days of taco ownership what i got myself into buying this truck, but thats all in the past. Just have a little patience the truck will come around.

TacoPharm[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Jul 12, 2020 at 9:05 AM
    specter208

specter208 Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD SPORT ACLB w/ 6MT TRUCK WHITE
    TOYOTA OEM: Cast Aluminum Running Boards Mud Guards Bed Mat All-Weather Floor Liner NIssan Frontier Sliding Bed Extender
    The truck needs more power. It has to shift twice because 5th and 6th are both over drive gears with poor torque advantage .

7. Jul 12, 2020 at 10:33 AM
    CrispyTacoLover

CrispyTacoLover Well-Known Member

Member:
    I hear it is fixed for 2021. :D

8. Jul 12, 2020 at 10:48 AM
    OMGitsme

OMGitsme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Sold
    It has to be the operator. When I bought my 2019 there were many posts here about it. The sales lady even told me to take it on the highway and really try it. I had 0 issues with it and still don't. I'm pretty convinced it's the operator.

BSFord likes this.
  9. Jul 12, 2020 at 10:50 AM
    Vea

Vea Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma or
    Trade it in people are always looking for low mile Tacoma’s.

10. Jul 12, 2020 at 11:06 AM
    davidstacoma

davidstacoma Friendly Curmudgeon

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma SR Access cab - Utility
    *OEM Mods: Intermittent wipers, Fogs, Keyless Entry, Lomax
    You’re tires bud, you just made a big change. if you want equivalent to stock performance you need to search in depth for gear ratios for 33s. Some say they’re fine with no change, others say they need a gear change. here’s just a start, other posts recommend different gearing depending on weight of add-ons etc.
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/gears-for-285s-on-2nd-gen.674607/page-2#post-23737087
    Here are the stock gear ratios for 3rd gens:
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/2016-gear-ratios-at-awesome-mt-now-with-double-overdrive.387347/
    One things for sure, at a given speed you’re gonna be running lower rpms with the 33s vs stock tires, this gives you less torque and less hp at that same speed. Note this is actual speed - you’re speedometer will also be off more with the 33s.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  11. Jul 12, 2020 at 1:08 PM
    Blauman

Blauman Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM DCSB 4x4 OR
    Bought mine right before all this COVID stuff and then started working from home so it has taken me a while to get miles up on it. I am sitting around 2800 now and never really had an issue before and still dont but it seems to hold gears longer and works just fine. Its an automatic so I dont really even worry about it TBH. My dad has a 2019 Ranger and that thing is constantly shifting since it has a 10spd in it.

zoo truck and BSFord like this.
  12. Jul 12, 2020 at 6:22 PM
    ROAD DOG

ROAD DOG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 I4 WHITE SR PRERUNNER
    FEW

they were NOT manufactured with aftermarket mods in mind

no doubt some are practical 7 deliver desired results

some are swimming upstream against the tide

saw a ford a couple days ago.........8 speed
    i didnt accuse toyota of cheating

my point if MISunderstood Is many are attempting to meet requirements
    that tighten EVERY Year

no doubt there is NOT One Way to comply ................

yet if Down Rating engines is an alternative no doubt someone will go down that path

no less its NOT the ' Shift Points '
    the tests are done INSIDE a building in a shed ( convenient to duplicate. results ) Rather Static. YET
    NOT Close to real work rolling results !!!!!!!

the shifts are done biased heavily towards ' Load '
    the very reason why ' CVT ' transmissions are in favor
    constant rpm / varying ratios

no less 8........9.......10 speed dual clutch auto trans are in favor
    BOTH to keep the engine in a optimum rpm range tho speed & Loads vary

my point again is EVERYONE plays to the ' SHED '........................ which IS Convenient + Artificial !!!

jowybyo[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Jul 13, 2020 at 4:03 AM
    Jonas111

Jonas111 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kelowna, BC, Canada
    Thank you very much for taking the time to post. Pretty much exactly what I wanted to know.

I might PM you about the 488’s. Before I spend the money re gearing.

TacoPharm[QUOTED] and Devious6 like this.
  14. Jul 13, 2020 at 4:06 AM
    Jonas111

Jonas111 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kelowna, BC, Canada
    I have already done it. Lol. Made a big difference and definitely increased my enjoyment in the truck.

Products Discussed in

To Top