1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2nd gen turbocharged

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by nitro1021, Jun 6, 2015.

1. Jun 6, 2015 at 12:28 PM
    nitro1021

nitro1021 [OP] Never Ends

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    PITTSBURGH
    Vehicle:
    06 Taco TRD Sport 6 spd
    bilstiens 5100 urd shifter ome dakar leafs
    I have been tossing around the idea of turbocharging my truck . I have a 06 TRD sport with a 6 speed. Now I don't have deep pockets for this build I have a shop with enough tools to make this happen . I have no plan set in stone , but it's gonna be pieced together , junk yard parts, rebuilt turbo from a popular vechile etc .
    Any thought , Ideas and advice will be heard. Thank you

2. Jun 6, 2015 at 12:57 PM
    Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Don't taze me bro!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '10 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    TRD Supercharger + too much stuff to list. Click sig pic
    My advice? Don't. The first half of your third sentence should tell you all you need to know. Even with a high budget people have lots of trial and error trying to do exactly what you're trying to do so what makes you think you can do it cheap using used parts and crap and come out with a Picasso on the other side? Believe it or not the supercharger option is the cheapest and you're still looking at north of $5k. To do a turbo right (read: not have a Tacoma perpetually broke down in your garage for the next three years) you'll need more money than that plus fabrication & tuning skills or your budget will need to be substantially higher.

In closing: Don't.

I doubt you'll get too much response to your query other than that as most who know what it takes won't even take the time to post.

3. Jun 7, 2015 at 6:04 PM
    yota243

yota243 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E.J.
    north Alabama
    Vehicle:
    turbo 05 prerunner trd off road DC
    Bw s256 turbo with 3 in glass pack dumped pre axle raptor liner bed and top rails and fenderflares and rocker panels. Hunter side steps. Plasti-dipped upper fenders and emblems. satin black spray paint here and there inside and out. 5100's set to 1.75" up front . C channel front bumper. Maxxis bighorn 255/85/16
    Redlanturn is running a turbo on stock internals (upgraded fuel system obviously) and he has a build page u should check out if ur serious (also check out torspd build page but dont expect those kinda results on a budget) anyway redlanturn is in Hawaii and had a crap load of s&h fees and i still think he only has around 6k in his system and has way more potential for growth for way less than a sc set up (like getting more power after purchase) i think he's puttin like 330 hp to the wheel with a 46mm turbo. I wouldnt go in thinkin u can do it for less than a sc, but u shiuld be able to do it for close to the same. Ive window shopped all the components for a system and its gonna be really close to 3k plus all ur fab work.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/redlanterns-brokanic-build.262425/

Lord Helmet and Torspd like this.
  4. Jun 8, 2015 at 6:19 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Well said. :thumbsup: Depending on the resources available to you, such as fabricating the kit yourself, quality used turbo, possibility of purchasing materials at wholesale, you might be able to knock off some decent cost. Might.

If you wanted to truly be frugal, you could also run the TRD s/c injectors and TRD reflash. Which will save you a lot over an aftermarket EMS.

All depends on how resourceful you are will to be.

Lord Helmet likes this.
  5. Jun 8, 2017 at 5:37 AM
    First Choice

First Choice New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Royce
    Vehicle:
    08 Toyota Tacoma
    I see this was posted a year ago... does the opinion of don't turbo the 1gr-fe still stand? And has anyone used underdog racing development for upgrades? I'm haveing a hard time finding forged parts for my engine. Well tested internal parts for my engine to be exact. I just moved to California and was told there is a company that makes larger gas tanks for tacos with perfect fit ,but I can't remember the name. Any help will be help thank you.

6. Jun 8, 2017 at 6:27 AM
    yota243

yota243 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E.J.
    north Alabama
    Vehicle:
    turbo 05 prerunner trd off road DC
    Bw s256 turbo with 3 in glass pack dumped pre axle raptor liner bed and top rails and fenderflares and rocker panels. Hunter side steps. Plasti-dipped upper fenders and emblems. satin black spray paint here and there inside and out. 5100's set to 1.75" up front . C channel front bumper. Maxxis bighorn 255/85/16
    I got my injectors and fuel pump and mapecu3 from urdusa.com and in the mapecu3 if u buy 2 or more u save $200 per unit. I started a groupbuy thread on them and me and 2 other members went in on it together. There were others interested but just werent quite ready at the time so when it comes time for you, you could get with them and save some cash

First Choice[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Jun 8, 2017 at 7:28 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    A handful of companies make forged internals for the 1GR.

www.lceperformance.com

http://www.molnartechnologies.com/rods-sc-toyota.html

http://www.briancrower.com

http://pauter.com/parts/rods/

www.cp-carrillo.com

www.wiseco.com

LCE, is the vendor and an engine builder.

Also check out the turbo BS thread.

First Choice[QUOTED] and yota243 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top