1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2wd capabilities

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by 06BLUEDBLSPORT, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Apr 24, 2008 at 8:14 PM
    06BLUEDBLSPORT

06BLUEDBLSPORT [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Fort Wayne Indiana
    Vehicle:
    12 Tundra DC SR5 4x4 5.7L
    True Dual Flowmaster 40 Series exhaust, Volant CAI, HIDs, Raptor series Side Steps, Weathertech Floorliners, OME 613 Shocks and Coils with Diff Drop, Rear Bilstein 5100 Shocks, ToyTec AAL, Fearless Fabrication Front Bumper
    I have a 2wd Tacoma TRD Sport and i wanna take it on the trails and i wanna know what kind of terrain i can drive in with out getting stuck. So if anyone know the capabilities of a 2wd Sport please tell me, thanks

2. Apr 24, 2008 at 8:23 PM
    BLOCKADE

BLOCKADE Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    Weather Tech Floor Liners, Front Bed D-Rings...
  3. Apr 24, 2008 at 8:27 PM
    06BLUEDBLSPORT

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Fort Wayne Indiana
    Vehicle:
    True Dual Flowmaster 40 Series exhaust, Volant CAI, HIDs, Raptor series Side Steps, Weathertech Floorliners, OME 613 Shocks and Coils with Diff Drop, Rear Bilstein 5100 Shocks, ToyTec AAL, Fearless Fabrication Front Bumper
    Dang i did not think a 2wd would go up that steep of a hill, but i know now that it can. my Sport does not have a locking diff so would that change anything on its off road performance?

4. Apr 24, 2008 at 8:32 PM
    BLOCKADE

BLOCKADE Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    Weather Tech Floor Liners, Front Bed D-Rings...
    I'm not sure. It may spin for a second but it should lock up. You'd have to hear from guys that have used it.

5. Apr 24, 2008 at 8:41 PM
    06BLUEDBLSPORT

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Fort Wayne Indiana
    Vehicle:
    o ok. thanks for the info, if i have more 2wd questions ill ask you

6. Apr 24, 2008 at 8:43 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    we'll have a few 2wd's out this weekend wheeling. i think i'll be the only 2wd sport, so i'll post back sunday and give ya some info

7. Apr 24, 2008 at 8:59 PM
    06BLUEDBLSPORT

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Fort Wayne Indiana
    Vehicle:
    thanks man, isnt there some tacoma gathering in north or south carolina?

8. Apr 24, 2008 at 9:08 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    What kind of tires are you running?

I have wheeled my Taco several times and I do fine even with the stock tires. You really just need to get the Taco out, get a feel for its capabilities and your wheeling style. You'd be surprised at how much the right speed/line combo can change how you wheel. Bring a tow strap just in case. Have you ever wheeled before?

9. Apr 24, 2008 at 9:17 PM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    yeah, its in NC.

10. Apr 24, 2008 at 9:20 PM
    06BLUEDBLSPORT

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Fort Wayne Indiana
    Vehicle:
    well i bought my tacoma a couple a weeks ago used with only 20000 miles on it and i think it has the original tires probably or similar to the ones that come on the sport TRD but this summer im getting new rims and just new tires and around august i get my licinse so yeah, but the closest thing to off the road for me is going through some dirt ditches on the side of my friends lake house driveway. but i really do want to go off roading but just to a point where my 2wd will take me. the rims i might get are american mojave racing teflon and my truck is not jacked up so what tires do u think would be great for on road and off road? i will also buy a tow strap. also the previous owner of my Taco told me that he has put my truck through its paces such as drifting in dirt/mud, doing burnouts, and i guess just some simple off road, i know because there are scratches on my truck and alot of scratches on the edge of my bumper from i guess dirt getting kicked up because he took off the mud flaps and forgot to give them to me when i bought the truck. i have pics of the exhaust tip and u can see the scratches. so i will definitely get my Taco out and see how she does with some of the new parts i am soon getting for it.

11. Apr 24, 2008 at 9:22 PM
    06BLUEDBLSPORT

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Fort Wayne Indiana
    Vehicle:
    To Jhodge83, i wish i could have gone, is there going to be another Taco gather near Ga soon?

12. Apr 24, 2008 at 9:41 PM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    we will prolly have another one late summer/early fall in uwharrie if this one goes well...but tigerfan on here said he goes on more in ga/sc/nc i do believe

13. Apr 24, 2008 at 9:45 PM
    06BLUEDBLSPORT

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Fort Wayne Indiana
    Vehicle:
    nice, im getting my licinse soon like i said before and i wanna make it up to one of those

14. Apr 25, 2008 at 8:44 AM
    eordonez

eordonez Living vicariously through mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Dcab 4x2 Black Sand Pearl
    OEM All Weather Mats, wheel locks, Toyota Silver Tube steps.....
    IM interested in this too.... my tacoma is dcab 4x2 trd sport.... i want to know what she is capable to do

15. Apr 25, 2008 at 6:38 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    If your interested in Off Roading check out . Off Roading in a PreRunner is harder but can be done. With the stock tires on a TRD Sport your really not gonna be able to do anything very serious.

If your gonna wheel your truck, lift it and get some better tires (BFG AT, Nitto Terra Grappler, Cooper STT) on it. Then follow by adding skid plates and sliders. Also I'd get a Receiver Shackle because you TRD Sports dont have a factory recovery hook.

The Ability of your rig is really dependent on you. Some of the veterans could do stuff with a 2wd I'd have a hard time doing with 4wd. There really is no replacement for experience. Go out with some friends and have some fun. After awhile you'll get better and will know the limits of your vehicle and will be able to mod it to meet your needs.

16. Apr 25, 2008 at 6:51 PM
    06BLUEDBLSPORT

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Fort Wayne Indiana
    Vehicle:
    thanks for the info, but what is a reciever shackle? and i can't really afford a lift right now. is it better to get smaller rims and better treaded tires like the american racing nitros? i also have a westin bullbar that has what looks like a skid plate that is connected directly to the bullbar (Check out my pics and ull see it).

17. Apr 25, 2008 at 6:54 PM
    eordonez

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Wondering the same and...

Nice truck man!

18. Apr 25, 2008 at 7:07 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    Take baby steps, start slow and easy, feel your truck out, get some good tires and always go with friends.

19. Apr 25, 2008 at 7:08 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    The Westin Bull Bar (I have one as well) is really almost pointless. The only protection it offers really is from shopping carts. The Skid plate on it and it itself are very weak and easily bend and break and cause damage. They look good but for Off Roading are useless and will take away from your approach angle.

A lift isn't really that much money. You can level out the front end only for $160 with a set of Bilstien 5100 shocks which can give you up to 2.5" of lift in the front. Since your on a budget (much like me) I'd suggest keeping the wheels and just lifting it instead. That way you can fit slightly larger tires. makes several great 3 inch lift kits for under $300. You can't even buy two wheels for that much money. Keep your factory alloys and put a lift on your truck and get some good tires. I personally like BFG A/T or Nitto Terra Grapplers.

This is a reciever shackle. You put it in your towing package where the trailer reciver would go. Then you can use a tow strap hooked to the shackle to pull you out.

[​IMG]

20. Apr 25, 2008 at 7:09 PM
    eordonez

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Gotcha!

Products Discussed in

To Top