1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3rd Gen and 2nd Gen tuning in Anchorage (also select 4Runner, Tundra, Sequoia, and FJ Cruisers)

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by LstMinutePanic, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Apr 9, 2021 at 5:08 PM
    LstMinutePanic

LstMinutePanic [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Aspen, CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 Black Tacoma OR DCLB AT
    And just like that, the business keeps expanding. Through my connections with other KDMax tuners, I am now able to support more Toyota models! If you’re interested or have any questions, let me know; and I’ll do my best to help you out!

Expanded support announcement.jpg

You can reach me by direct messaging me on Tacoma World, calling/texting, or by email.

Tuning Events
    If you can help me get enough participants (about 5 or so depending on travel costs), we can set up tuning events in other areas of AK (Palmer, Wasilla, Fairbanks, Kenai, Homer, Juneau, etc.)

Time to go Pro!
    AK Taco Tuner is now a licensed Pro Tuner for OV Tune/vF Tuner. Between the additional capabilities of the Pro software and the support and ingenuity of the KDMax Tuning Group, expect some exciting updates in the next couple of months!

Perhaps something to do with 4Runners, Tundras, and 2nd Gen Tacomas... no official timeline yet though!

In the meantime, I'm here to help you fall in love with your 3rd Gen Tacoma again. Stop the gear hunting, smooth shifting, access full power and torque throughout the RPM band, and improve throttle response. Call or message with any questions or to set up an appointment!
    https://vftuner.com/a/store-locator/list

IMG_20210713_075226_892.jpg

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

About me:

I've been using OVTune and VFTuner for several years, and it's saved me from trading in my 2018 Tacoma. I actually enjoy driving my truck now! No more gear hunting, the truck feels lighter and more powerful, and I get 1- 3 mpgs better than I did stock.

I started with OVTune 1.05 then 2.0. Once the developer put out VFTuner, which allows users to create custom tunes, I tried tons of different community-created tunes on my truck. After building a good reputation with the Tacoma World tuning crowd as well as the 3rd Gen owners around Alaska, I took advantage of an opportunity to expand to more Toyota models! It's been a fun gig so far. I'm always happy to answer questions or talk shop. Hit me up!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
    SnowroxKT and TWTaco like this.
  2. Apr 18, 2021 at 11:27 AM
    LstMinutePanic

Member:
    Aspen, CO
    Vehicle:
    Tuned some great looking trucks and met some awesome owners this weekend! It's always fun to see what others have done to their trucks and talk a little shop while I'm installing the tune.

PXL_20210417_224523584.jpg

PXL_20210417_021607744.jpg

PXL_20210417_010105089.jpg

PXL_20210417_022414015.jpg

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    TWTaco and Goochwarmer like this.
  3. Apr 18, 2021 at 12:14 PM
    LstMinutePanic

Member:
    Aspen, CO
    Vehicle:
    You don't need to have a heavily modified truck to enjoy the benefits of a tune. Toyota really did these trucks a disservice by putting out a lackluster factory tune.

KDMax and OVTune will help even completely stock vehicles with better acceleration, linear throttle, smoother shifting, less "gear hunting", better power distribution, and so much more.

TWTaco and Goochwarmer like this.
  4. Apr 21, 2021 at 2:06 PM
    LstMinutePanic

Member:
    Aspen, CO
    Vehicle:
    After a few more tunes this week, one of the most common questions I receive is, "Will I need a new tune after a [insert major truck modification here]?"

And the answer is... it depends. That's why I offer free retunes due to major truck modifications. I don't want people to hold off on getting a tune because they think that they *might* get bigger tires or re-gear further down the road.

To go into more detail, the only major modifications that truly warrant a retune are if you get significantly different tire sizes or if you re-gear. These modifications will affect the RPMs of the engine and therefore the shift points. So a significant change in tire size or gearing will affect when and how your truck shifts. The retune will recalibrate the shift points to match with your tire/gear set up.

Another modification that can possibly benefit from a retune, but does not necessarily require a retune includes adding significant weight. A little extra weight is no big deal (like a topper), but if you add a bumper and sliders and skids as well, then you may want to retune with a more aggressive throttle to compensate for the weight.

Additionally, a lift *may* benefit from retune since the lift will add additional wind resistance and possibly weight. So a more aggressive throttle might be helpful after a lift. Honestly though, a more aggressive throttle won't necessarily fix the way your truck drives after a lift. So if you are happy with the way your truck drives after a lift, I would recommend keeping the current tune. That being said, I would be happy to try a different tune after your lift, but realize that it may not improve the driveability of your truck the way you want it to. Lifts can be rather finicky.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

5. Apr 22, 2021 at 9:14 AM
    Goochwarmer

Goochwarmer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road MT
    So what is the benefit for the manual tranny trucks? I see increased performance with shift points and other adjustments to the transmission, what about Manual trannys that you decide the shift point yourself?

6. Apr 22, 2021 at 11:57 AM
    LstMinutePanic

Member:
    Aspen, CO
    Vehicle:
    Fair question. The general consensus among MT reviews is that the throttle is much more responsive, there's more power available throughout the RPM range (but the extra power down low is where this tune really shines), shifting is smoother (yes, even for a manual), and since the truck is performing better, there tends to be a gain of 1-2 MPGs. Your results may vary with the MPG claim though. I find that since my truck is so much more fun to drive, that I tend to drive more aggressively.

Here are a few additional MT reviews from customers:

Goochwarmer[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Apr 22, 2021 at 1:45 PM
    LstMinutePanic

Member:
    Aspen, CO
    Vehicle:
    Tuned up a 2021 TRD Off Road yesterday. Seriously, biggest smile I've ever seen on someone's face after his test drive!

PXL_20210422_014415547.jpg

TWTaco likes this.
  8. Apr 23, 2021 at 9:16 AM
    Goochwarmer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Ok, well shoot. Now I am seriously considering it based on this info. My wife HATES my truck in the fact that it's jerky coming out of 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd, I've even done the clutch accumulator delete which smoothed it out but didn't fix that low end boggieness *not a real word*. Especially when towing,1st is short and the lack of power applied to 2nd on the shift is just messy. Shit shit shit....food for the children or power for the Dad.

9. Apr 23, 2021 at 9:38 AM
    LstMinutePanic

Member:
    Aspen, CO
    Vehicle:
    Ah yes, the toughest decision: kids or fun?

I just tuned a 2020 manual yesterday, and I kind of assumed you two were the same person since you're asking about MTs here at the same time. If it helps, the owner was STOKED on the tune right off the bat. His feedback said that the tune smoothed out shifting between gears, had more evenly distributed power throughout the full range of the throttle, and helped a ton with low end power. He even specifically mentioned that it fixed his power issues in 2nd. I shit you not. I know that sounds like pandering, but I paid close attention to his feedback since it's the first manual I've tuned so far.

I'm not going anywhere, so start hiding away a couple of bucks here and there and see where you get in a couple of weeks. Also, if it's easier, we can use credit cards through PayPal for payments. Let me know if any other questions pop up.

10. Apr 23, 2021 at 9:45 AM
    Goochwarmer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Right on, yeah I'll kick it around some more. I'm at the tipping point of making this truck my baby for a looong time or selling and upgrading or switching manufactures. The wife hates the Manny trans because of shoulder issues and the kids learned on it but don't like the necessity of paying attention all the time. Thanks for the responses!

LstMinutePanic[OP] likes this.
  11. Apr 23, 2021 at 7:27 PM
    LstMinutePanic

Member:
    Aspen, CO
    Vehicle:
    Here's a pic of the 2020 Sport, MT that I tuned the other day. It's a great looking truck. Lots of custom work.

PXL_20210423_003458884.jpg

12. Apr 25, 2021 at 6:52 PM
    LstMinutePanic

Member:
    Aspen, CO
    Vehicle:
    I'm starting to feel like I'm playing Pokemon with Tacomas... Gotta catch 'em all! Met a few more great owners this week. It's been fun to hear about everyone's summer plans for their Tacomas. Lots of fishing trips and road trips!

PXL_20210425_011755733.jpg

IMG_20210425_095706.jpg

13. Apr 30, 2021 at 9:54 AM
    LstMinutePanic

Member:
    Aspen, CO
    Vehicle:
    Don't forget to take some time to get used to the extra performance after a new tune...

15804-f6c30fec74dbb956ff19ca7470cb266c.jpg

Goochwarmer likes this.
  14. May 4, 2021 at 9:33 AM
    Goochwarmer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Hey Bud, in post #2 there is a truck with a RSI cap. Is he on here? I've been eyeballing the RSI and wanting to do a tune and add the RSI cap but nobody I've met has addressed the winter on the locks and leakage.

15. May 4, 2021 at 12:45 PM
    LstMinutePanic

Member:
    Aspen, CO
    Vehicle:
    I think he and his friend (I tuned both of their trucks at the same time) are on TW from time to time, but not super active. I don't happen to know either of their TW handles though. As a business, I can't share any of their other contact info.

He talked up his RSI cap quite a bit during the short time I met him. I don't remember the specifics, but he's been very happy with it since purchasing. And I'm pretty sure he had it on throughout this past winter. However locks/leaking didn't come up from what I can remember.

Last edited: May 5, 2021
  16. May 4, 2021 at 2:48 PM
    Goochwarmer

Member:
    Vehicle:
  17. May 7, 2021 at 10:50 PM
    LstMinutePanic

Member:
    Aspen, CO
    Vehicle:
    Top Notch has been posting a bunch of stuff about RSI caps in the "907 Yotas" Facebook group. They can probably answer specific questions for you.

18. May 11, 2021 at 5:56 PM
    LstMinutePanic

Member:
    Aspen, CO
    Vehicle:
    AK Taco Tuner will be in Fairbanks this weekend! AK Taco Tuner, LLC will be offering tuning services for 3rd Gen Tacomas from 9:00 - 11:00am Sunday, May 16 at the Clarion Hotel:
    • $300 - OVTune "base" cleans up a lot of the sloppiness of the factory Toyota tune: less gear hunting, smoother shifting, predictable throttle.
    • $350 - KDMax "performance" takes it to another level. Even smoother shifting, more power available throughout the RPM band, improved throttle response... just an overall amazing driving experience.
    Got questions? Get a hold of me, and we can taco bout it. Book appointments by phone, text, or email at 208-391-3435, AKTacoTuner@gmail.com.

AK Taco Tuner Event announcement cropped.jpg

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
  19. May 18, 2021 at 10:38 AM
    LstMinutePanic

Member:
    Aspen, CO
    Vehicle:
    Had a great time in Fairbanks this past weekend! I was expecting that people would show up, get their tune, test drive, and take off. To my surprise, just about everyone stayed the full 2 hours to talk shop and share stories. Thanks for hanging out, fellas!

Afterwards, I got to do a little exploring of my own in Denali NP and on the Denali Hwy.

PXL_20210516_175424070_2.jpg

PXL_20210516_173644465.jpg

PXL_20210517_032705621.MP_exported_733_2.jpg

TMoSD likes this.
  20. May 26, 2021 at 9:45 AM
    Goochwarmer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Alright, the price increase campaign has worked on me. I'll do it. Like to try and set up at your convenience if your around this weekend? I'm out in eagle river but can work something out in Anchorage.

Products Discussed in

To Top