1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

access or regular?

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by thainess, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Jul 14, 2010 at 4:30 PM
    Drewboto

Drewboto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    Base model ಠ_à²
    (Former Tacoma owner) 17" Mustang wheels, Eclipse AVN 5435, Deck plate mod, vertical Maglite mount, K&N high-flow air filter, Delta gullwing box, amp, sub, 30 percent tint, floor lighting, tilt activated glove box lighting, lighting behind seat, engine bay lighting, SR5 grill surround, power windows, outside temp display
    4X4! You're 19, which means you probably don't have kids so you don't NEED an access cab. Just get a box for the bed and you'll be good. Downgrade to 2wd later if you need to.

2. Jul 14, 2010 at 6:42 PM
    blackbox

blackbox Well-Known Member

Member:
    SE Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 reg cab 4cyl 5mt 4x4 Pyrite
    If you have more room, you will be tempted to haul more stuff around, so you end up with the same amount of room, just hauling alot of stuff you probably don't need. I like my regular cab because it helps to make me keep the extraneous stuff out of there. Hard enough to keep the cab clean without extra room to accumulate even more stuff.

For me, would not want anything other than 4x4 regular cab.

3. Jul 14, 2010 at 6:48 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    Reg cab 4wd ftw

4. Jul 14, 2010 at 6:51 PM
    woodygg

woodygg Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    nothing worse than a regular cab to me. of course, i can afford any of them at this point in my life. what you can afford is the bottom line. they are just so small inside and limiting. i cannot even put the seat back into my normal driving position. if i were you i'd buy an older, used one that's an access cab with 4x4. be patient.

5. Jul 14, 2010 at 6:52 PM
    woodygg

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    lol... some of us have a bit of self control and don't just fill space with crap. :eek:

6. Jul 14, 2010 at 8:00 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    Not that small inside... the only down side the 09-10 they got rid of the bucket seats. My reg cab is plenty roomy and comfy. i had a extended cab s10 and never used the back for anything but junk.

ive got a cross wrench, tow strap and a bunch of other junk under my bench. its got pretty good room under there. IMO extended/access cab isnt worth the room. Id go reg or doublecab

x2 the short wheelbase makes them awesome offroad and the turning radius is as tight as a corolla.

7. Jul 14, 2010 at 8:41 PM
    thainess

thainess [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sugar Land, tx
    Vehicle:
    10 prerunner trd offroad
    Plasti-dip emblems
    i should probably mention to you guys i have a labrador

but im leaning towards the reg cab gunna go test drive one friday!

8. Jul 14, 2010 at 11:32 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    sweet! just realize the power when you test drive one does not reflect the true power of the truck. Mine didnt "wake up" until 2,000 miles. Took a while to fully break in and feel good. Doing a secondary air filter delete, and a magnaflow catback exhaust i get 24mpg.

One hill in particular when i first bought my truck i needed 3rd to make it, i was very disappointed to say the least. after 3k and my first oil change i could make it up the hill in 4th. then 5k and the catback i can sustain speed (45mph) in 5th...once the truck is broken in it feels 100% different

9. Jul 15, 2010 at 5:08 AM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    x2 it was the same thing for me. i've also noticed that synthetic makes a huge difference too....it ran much smoother and I got better mileage as well...

and when you test drive it the transmission might feel a bit clunky, (5 spd manual) but it also breaks in over time.

10. Jul 15, 2010 at 5:13 AM
    oofy15354

oofy15354 Proud Tundra *****

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Massachusetts
    Herculiner, Access Tonneau, Uniden cb, firestik antennae, Bosch Wipers, JVC Ipod headunit, Boston Acoustic Speakers
    for your needs, a 4x4 reg is the way to go. if you want to get into wheeling (not even mentioning the 4wd) the AC will be a 5 lug model unless you get a prerunner which is more $ and there are much less options for lifts and suspension upgrades than there are for the 6 lug (4x4 and prerunner only)

11. Jul 15, 2010 at 7:07 AM
    woodygg

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    ah...

yes, they are quite small inside. there is so much difference between the two - the access is so much more useful. the ONLY reason i ever owned a regular cab is because that's all i could afford, and for those people, i get it. AGAIN, i cannot even lean the seat back to where it's my normal driving position in my access cab. very unfortable for long drives. when we take trips, the passenger usually leans the seat back a bit, or a lot to sleep - which makes it much more bearable.

you are right about the dc, i like them the best - you get pretty much the best of all the worlds. i'm waiting for the next generation (2012) of tacomas before moving to one.

12. Jul 15, 2010 at 7:09 AM
    woodygg

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    then it's a no brainer with a dog as well. you will most likely not be happy and always be eyeing the access or dc. trying to fit the dog and one friend in your truck. consider buying used, save your money. i just picked up an 04 access cab with 40K miles on it and saved 14K over a new one.

13. Jul 15, 2010 at 7:12 AM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    have you ever seen the inside of the 2nd gen regular cabs? there's a lot of room back there, even with the seat all the way back. i have a 13.5" sub, 2 6X9s in boxes 2 amps, a capacitor and my crossovers back there as well as a bunch of other misc items...at one point i had two jackets, a semester's worth of books and papers as well as a massive stuffed animal back there.

if your thinking about the 1st gen regular cab tacos...theres much more room back there for stuff. and there is more room then behind the seats of a double cab (both generations)

14. Jul 15, 2010 at 7:48 AM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    Im 6'4" 280#s (Was a Lineman in college football.) I agree the seat didnt lean back far enough at first, no adjustment. I just moved the seat forward away from the back of the cab and put my feet on the floor and leg pressed my seat where i wanted. the seat brackets bent and then i moved my seat back. Now its the perfect angle and distance from the wheel. :D

BTW i dont think a dog will be comfy in the back of an AC???

15. Jul 15, 2010 at 7:51 AM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    maybe a Chihuahua? lol my dog goes in the bed anyway....i only take her to the vet that's a good 2 miles away...lol

16. Jul 15, 2010 at 10:09 AM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    Seems pretty clear by this statement that you should get the 4x4. But a 4cyl 4x4 access cab would be awesome. Not sure if the 2nd gen comes in that configuration but I think it does.

By what I've heard, the best way to get a good deal is to approach the purcase as if you don't really need (or want) the truck right now, at this moment. Plan to spend a couple months shopping around for the best price. Customer who want to buy ASAP are usually willing to pay more and not so inclined to walk away if the dealer doesn't come down very far. So do your homework, take your time, and be prepared to walk if you're not happy with the price. Oh and it helps if you have lots of cash available or able to pay at least 30% of the price up front... the more you can pay the dealer up front at signing, the more dealers are likely to come down in price. Hope you find a sweet deal, good luck.

I saved my money for 7 years while driving a beat-up B2000 before I decided to start shopping for my Tacoma. Paid it off in full with one check. Yes it took some discipline and postponing of gratification, but I'm so glad... I don't owe anyone anything!

17. Jul 15, 2010 at 10:22 AM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    There will be a few occasions that the regular cab 4x4 will be sorely missed but you will get great service from the Access Cab day after day after day after....

There will be many times in the regular cab that you will regret not having the Access Cab.

18. Jul 15, 2010 at 10:45 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Unless you really NEED 4x4, personally I'd go for the access cab. You'll appreciate the extra room. Plus the longer wheel base is more comfortable on longer trips.

On the other hand, if you've never owned an extended cab or a car with a back seat, you'll probably never miss it or be disappointed with the reg. cab. If you have the back seat, you'll just end up collecting all your crap back there anyways (tools, jumper cables, clothes, etc).

As far as buying, end of the month or end of the model year when they're clearing out the leftovers is a great time to buy. Be prepared to walk away and if you feel like the salesman is putting too much pressure on you, get another salesman. Don't show your hand too early, even if you have your mind made up before you walk in the door that you're going to buy a certain truck that day, don't let the sales staff know that. They have to at least think they're competing for your business.

Best of luck and enjoy your new Taco!

19. Jul 15, 2010 at 10:51 AM
    Blue

Blue You're my boy blue

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Sierras
    Vehicle:
    ex 99 current 04 TRD
  20. Jul 15, 2010 at 11:04 AM
    thainess