1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Access tonneau and bed rail mounts

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by Squirrellydw, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Oct 17, 2012 at 12:17 PM
    Squirrellydw

Squirrellydw [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner TRD Sport
    I have an Access tonneau cover that I love but also want to mount my yak on the back of my bed when the tonneau cover is closed. I'm thinking of having some custom mounts made similar to the "love2surf" mounts but so they can work with the access cover. Just wondering if anyone else would be interested. I can probably get a better deal the more I get made.

2. Oct 17, 2012 at 1:25 PM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Double Cab Limited
    stock
    i took the ones that came with the truck, and cut 180 degrees off the round part that protrudes up into the tonneau cover. instead of the big bulky thumb wheel, use a stainless wing nut.

3. Oct 17, 2012 at 1:43 PM
    Squirrellydw

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner TRD Sport
    I don't think you understand what the mounts do or what I want to do. Cutting does nothing, I want to be able to keep my bed covered with the tonneau cover but mount my yak on top using the bed rail mounts.

4. Oct 17, 2012 at 2:02 PM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    stock
    now i follow.
    yes i misunderstood.
    you want to carry the kayak over the bed. you could install tracks down the bed rails, install a roof rack, and be able to use your tonneau cover independent of what your carrying above the bed.
    I can haul my gear with the tonneau cover open or closed

3CF1A763-CAEF-42FD-8BC8-FC8947468E9B-180_04e5be875f9f81d134d8e79232286aaaf586bbfb.jpg

5. Oct 17, 2012 at 2:08 PM
    Cain

Cain Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma
    Chrome don't get you home
    Are you saying that you want to mount your Yakima racks onto the top of the tonneau cover?

6. Oct 17, 2012 at 4:05 PM
    Squirrellydw

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner TRD Sport
    How do those tracks that you have work/install?

The brackets that I want to make will install on the cleat of the bed rail and will bend around so you can still use the tonneau cover. Similar to the love-2-surf ones

7. Oct 17, 2012 at 5:06 PM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    stock
    this system is a little different than that. I have a access tonneau cover like yours, it sits inside the rails.

all i did was use thule "top tracks" ran them down the plastic bed rail caps, and fastened them with stainless hardware. the tracker feet just plug into the top track. foot pack + the cross bar and your done. the advantage is u can slide the cross bars forward and aft along the entire length of the bed (in seconds)... i carry short boards, long boards, snowboards ect... and still keep the tonneau cover shut. when your done, you can just pop the cross bars off with the press of a button and stow them.

1e3e36eb_22dc8f12ac36dbb8a2222f5f4a60810e8dc01d56.jpg

8. Oct 17, 2012 at 6:22 PM
    Squirrellydw

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner TRD Sport
    I like that idea, couple more questions.

1. Can you post a link to the Thule site with the rails that you used.
    2. Can you post a close up pic of how you mounted the rails. Top down photo and one from inside the bed so I can see how you secured it. How many bolts did you use on each side?

9. Oct 17, 2012 at 9:20 PM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    stock
    new thule parts are a rip off. use their website or retail web sites to get the part numbers then scour criags list and ebay for used parts to save a lot of money. i can get the part numbers if you decide to do this.

the top tracks have holes down their length, i just secured the top track to the rail with marine grade stainless screws right into the plastic bed rail cap. down the entire length.

i'll try and get an additional shot tomorrow. its very basic but very versatile.

you can also add things into the tracks like tie down cleats that are moveable you can see one in my photo above.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  10. Oct 18, 2012 at 6:27 AM
    Squirrellydw

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner TRD Sport
    So they are only secured into the plastic rail cover on the bed, that doesn't sound very secure but what do I know. Yeah eBay is my friend when it does to this stuff.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  11. Oct 18, 2012 at 6:56 AM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    stock
    yep thats all. if i ever want to change or replace i just need to replace the plastic top rail, i did not want to go into the metal of the truck.

I do at least one trip a year 24 hours on the highway to/from OBX, carrying all three of my boards, ranging from 5 to 12 feet, as well as 300 mile drive to VT 3x a month during the ski season, on this rack and have not had a problem, its solid. i also use it at least 3x a week locally.

the cap to the rear tracker is laying on the tonneau, the fwd one is still covered. other side looks the same.

are there cheaper ways to skin this cat? sure. but i dont think they are as flexible to configurations for gear, tonneau, or as strong.

with the kayak, id venture to say the rear most rail will be furthest back almost over the tailgate, and the other one as far fwd as you could get it to get it secure with the bow. my longest board is 13', its carried properly with this set up as i can shift the distance between the load bars, your kayak is considerably longer, so you may need to measure how far back it will stick out. there is no better feeling than easily loading wet sandy gear at chest height over the bed with the cover closed, while everyone else is fighting with overhead SUV roof racks and trailers :)

F8D8EBB5-91CC-4D00-8BFF-CCF0E9256ADD-627_9eecfce9072e50f34f8d1d53085f73df46fe4af5.jpg

12. Oct 18, 2012 at 7:40 AM
    Squirrellydw

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner TRD Sport
    Very cool, I like the idea. What size screws did you use if you remember. Also my yak is only 13 feet long so it should stick out to much, even though I do have a shortbed.

13. Oct 18, 2012 at 7:41 AM
    BostonBilly

BostonBilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Easton
    Vehicle:
    2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
  14. Oct 22, 2012 at 1:40 PM
    belone12

belone12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma Double Cab 6spd TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100s, AAL, heated leather seats, Thule Rack, tow package, anytime foglight, Fold-a-cover
    Which Access Tonneau do you have? I am looking for a similar way to cover the bed but move my Thule system from the roof to over the bed.

How did you not secure the rack to the metal of the bed rails? I'm not second guessing, i would just be constantly looking in the mirror to make sure they were there. Can you thru-bolt the Thule tracks to the rails?

15. Oct 22, 2012 at 1:52 PM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    stock
    The Vanish. I like it so far.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/product-reviews/226622-review-access-vanish-tonneau.html

U could through bolt I suppose but putting stainless screws in each hole in the top track down the rail cap has been more than sufficient. There's prob at least 8-12 per side.

I went into the sheet metal on my last pickup truck and I vowed to not do it again, I'm spilling a lot of saltwater all over loading and unloading my boards and gear. I just wanted to go into the rail plastic this time.

16. Oct 22, 2012 at 2:22 PM
    KeithB

KeithB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Cheshire, CT
    Vehicle:
    SWB '09 Tacoma DCSB Sport 4x4
    Wheels and Tires: 17x8" Ultra Goliath wheels with P285/70R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3/W tires, Suspension: Fox coilovers set at 2", TC UCA's, 1.5" lift 3 leaf pack with overload left in Other: TRD SS exhaust, Pioneer AVIC 4100 H/U with Android Auto (awesomeness), sat radio bluetooth, Accessories: Toyota roof rack, black Toyota running board steps, cargo divider, weathertech floor liners, Literider roll up soft tonneau, thule bars over tonneau, USB ports front and rear, seat heaters, birddawg mirror riser Cosmetic: window tint, grillcraft black mesh upper/lower grill, vinyl armrest in doors, Clazzio black seat covers with blue stitch, Redline steering wheel wrap Lighting: fogs only mod, back up lights, amber interior accent lighting, amber 10" LED light bar in hood scoop, 33" LED bar behind the lower grill, amber lamin-x on fog lights, Tacomabeast headlights and matching tails.
    I did the same with thule top tracks over the roll up tonneau. Only I was not comfortable with just the 10 screws per side into the plastic bed rail cover. I drilled 5 of them straight through the sheet metal and bolted with a nut and washer. The sheet metal under the bed rail cap is loaded with holes from the mfgr (not sure why) but you won't have metal anchor point at every predrilled hole in the top tracks. So I just felt around inside (you can access under the bed rail if you remove the cubby's) and found a few good solid points to use bolts. The rest are just screwed into the plastic. So far, very solid but I only put snow skis and snowboards up there. Nothing too heavy or that sticks out very far. I think the aluminum top track rails would give out before it pulled off the bed rail.

btw - with a 13' board or kayak and a 5' bed, you're sticking out 8' past the tailgate. That seems like a lot of leverage on those thule bars. Not exactly even close to being balanced. I would never trust it. I would rather load it onto the roof or in the bed with tailgate down. Maybe put a basket on your thule bars over the tonneau for your gear if the kayak/boards take up most of the bed space (or put them on an over the bed rack system that is up over the cab as well.

One last note: You can not roll up the tonneau with the bars installed, there is not enough clearance under the bars. Granted they are easy to remove if empty, roll up tonneau, then put bars back on but not so easy if them are loaded with gear. If you had a roll up hard tonneau (the kind that rolls up into a box at the front of the bed) then you could open and close with the bars installed.)

17. Oct 22, 2012 at 2:28 PM
    KeithB

KeithB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Cheshire, CT
    Vehicle:
    Wheels and Tires: 17x8" Ultra Goliath wheels with P285/70R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3/W tires, Suspension: Fox coilovers set at 2", TC UCA's, 1.5" lift 3 leaf pack with overload left in Other: TRD SS exhaust, Pioneer AVIC 4100 H/U with Android Auto (awesomeness), sat radio bluetooth, Accessories: Toyota roof rack, black Toyota running board steps, cargo divider, weathertech floor liners, Literider roll up soft tonneau, thule bars over tonneau, USB ports front and rear, seat heaters, birddawg mirror riser Cosmetic: window tint, grillcraft black mesh upper/lower grill, vinyl armrest in doors, Clazzio black seat covers with blue stitch, Redline steering wheel wrap Lighting: fogs only mod, back up lights, amber interior accent lighting, amber 10" LED light bar in hood scoop, 33" LED bar behind the lower grill, amber lamin-x on fog lights, Tacomabeast headlights and matching tails.
    Here's some pictures of mine.

Over tonneau bed rack: Thule TK1 feet, 65" square bars, and top tracks mounted to factory bed rail covers with roll up Lite rider tonneau. 12/15/09.
    Photo0040_245d6ccf867f10840d8c0c31683ead6ef109c20e.jpg

Photo0039_d476e7cb5e53aa1ef6d058932d9c6926ecd04012.jpg

Photo0142_76c9c7b7dd8495a860f8d33dd33ef452951ab3ae.jpg

Photo0143_2aa6db69f12e15d0d3342a5ea873ffc48370a336.jpg

Photo0145_e37d86da40c59e8b468952fb8b490b6e69696d9f.jpg

18. Oct 22, 2012 at 2:38 PM
    belone12

belone12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma Double Cab 6spd TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100s, AAL, heated leather seats, Thule Rack, tow package, anytime foglight, Fold-a-cover
    Thanks guys. This is something I will be working on before the snowfall (hoping) so i maybe coming back with some more questions. Keith thanks for the info on drilling through, I will check for the other holes. Both your trucks look great btw.

19. Oct 22, 2012 at 2:49 PM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    stock
    i have a long bed on my truck, leverage isnt a big deal esp with the bar slid back. 13' carbon board is light as a feather, a kayak may be a different deal. if you get the low profile cover you may be able to roll the tonneau with the bars in place, mine can.

looks great Keith!

20. Oct 22, 2012 at 2:51 PM
    KeithB

KeithB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Cheshire, CT
    Vehicle:
    Ah, both good points. Did not realize it was carbon fiber and mine is not the low profile so you probably have more clearance. I got the higher profile so I could still use my bed cleats. Somewhere in TW there are pictures of bed rails without the caps so you can see what I'm talking about (the holes under the rail caps).

Products Discussed in

To Top