1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alignment problems - bent frame?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Kenny650, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Dec 28, 2009 at 6:22 PM
    Kenny650

Kenny650 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hey guys

Went to go get the truck aligned today at my local shop but they couldn't get the caster in spec - no surprise there.

Tech said he saw all the sand under my truck and assumed that all the jumping and romping that I've done at Pismo ruined my caster. He concluded that it's my frame and how it might be bent, blah blah.

I personally believe that my stock UCA's are the root of problem. He said aftermarket UCA's won't change a thing. I beg to differ.

Caster came out to be 1.1* on the left and 0.5* on the right. I am hoping some LR UCA's will solve this problem.

Also, can anyone CONFIRM my 5100's are set at 2.5 by looking at this pic? I can't tell! I'm starting to think they set them at 1.75". The truck seems to be sitting kinda low.

IMG_2293_ff3840373dd391cf4274438ff1f5b48deb8ca20a.jpg

2. Dec 28, 2009 at 6:47 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    There are 4 notches on the shock body- If you don't have the collar all the way to the top one...You set them low. No real way to tell from that photo.

I would give some LR UCAs a try andfind a new alignment shop.

3. Dec 28, 2009 at 7:47 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Brunes is correct.

4. Mar 6, 2014 at 8:04 PM
    gmata

gmata Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gonzalo
    Delaware
    Vehicle:
    2007 DCB 4x4 TRD sport
    I know this thread is old but Ive encountered a similar problem today.

I just finished replacing my shocks(procomps with 5100's) and took the truck to aligment, they called me after 4 hours that they couldn't figure out why the truck was pulling to the right after the truck was perfectly withing specs on their computer.

By the way I also gave them the reccomendations from this thread:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/40470-ucas-alignment.html

I do have LR UCA's so I explained to them how to adjust them, still they could not get it right.

My mechanic said he took the truck to a shop nearby, where they build trophy trucks and they are very well known locally as the best off road suspension guys. He says they measured the frame, from Left front LCA to right rear bolt somewhere and viceversa. They concluded the frame is bent since the measurements are 3/4 inch off.

They told me they can pull the frame and make it straight again.

I don't know what to think? Before replacing my shocks my truck was pulling slightly to the right but not as bad as it is now.

Should I go ahead and have them pull the frame or should I measure it my self? if So how can i do it? Or get a second opinion.

Thanks for the info

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  5. Mar 8, 2014 at 9:49 AM
    BTO

BTO Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '07 Silver PR DC AT SR5 TP LSD
    Bilstein 5100s front, Adjustable Ranchos rear.
    Scan and post the alignment sheet.

I would want to verify the measurement before having anybody pull the frame. How much are they charging for the frame pull? Was the truck ever wrecked?

6. Mar 8, 2014 at 9:57 AM
    gmata

gmata Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gonzalo
    Delaware
    Vehicle:
    2007 DCB 4x4 TRD sport
    They did not give me a printed sheet, they claimed the printer was not working.

Any ways I took the truck to another shop today to check my frame, the guy also told me the truck looks a little crooked. So I am starting to think it is true the frame is bent.

I am not the first owner of the truck so I have no Idea if it ever was on a wreck or not, the truck looks totally clean and no signs of ever been on a wreck but who knows.

I am In Baja Mexico so they are charging the equivalent to $150 dlls for pulling the frame, this guy is the best In La Paz at doing this kind of work so I am not too worry about it.

Products Discussed in

To Top