1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Another lift kit recommendation, please

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bmkshort, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Mar 20, 2009 at 10:28 AM
    bmkshort

bmkshort [OP] Active Member

Member:
    southeast virginia
    Vehicle:
    09 d-cab 4x4 offroad
    I tried searching but still not sure. My wife has an 09 Tacoma DC 4wd with TRD off road package. The only off-roading we do is spring/summertime trips to the beach. We want to raise the truck some for looks mainly but maintain factory ride and yet add to the payload cap. ( In case Toyota won't add 09 to the TSB ) In fact, I was thinking a kit with an add-a-leaf that would raise 2-3" would be better with my stock 3-leaf pack than adding something to a TSB 4-leafer. Am I right???

Also, she doesn't want to change tires as she is happy with the BFG rugged trails. I also don't want anything thats going to affect items like drive shafts, ball joints, etc. I realize that anything that we do will require a wheel alignment. It seems that coil-overs are the most popular but I saw where ToyTec says in they're FAQ section that spacers with OEM springs and shocks give the best ride. See link...

I'm so confused!!! :confused:

2. Mar 20, 2009 at 11:00 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Spacers are not the way to go if you want to offroad at all- They can stress incorrectly and end up doing bad things. (As a side note the tires MIGHT look funny after a 2-3 inch lift...have to wait and see)

If you lift 3 inches you may HAVE to drop the differential and/or shim the axel and/or make several other adjustments to the drive line. Just putting new springs or more springs on the truck will NOT automatically add to your payload- and may infact LOWER it.
    Payload and Gross Vehicle Weight rating are calculated as a function of suspension, frame design and strength, steering and braking controls, and some other stuff I don't remember. The stock set up (if the right type of springs are used) will give you that GVWR. Most lift springs are designed to allow greater articulation and a more flexible and therefore can lower the amount of weight that can be handled by the stiffer stock springs.

Lots more people will chime in with all sorts of stuff....But you came to the right spot to learn everything you need!!

3. Mar 20, 2009 at 12:11 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    Read this thread. A guy asked me about my lift and I told him what it consisted of and where to buy.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/30943-total-choas-tires.html

Products Discussed in

To Top