1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any one replace their two-speed wipers on 2009 Tacoma?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by atea, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Jan 4, 2009 at 9:21 AM
    atea

atea [OP] Member

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    grille painted to match body color (black sand pearl), bed mat, intermittent wipers installed, 14" shorty antenna.
    Have 2009 Tacoma reg. cab with 2-speed wipers. Has any one installed intermittent wiper switch? If so, did you order/use part # 84652-04141 from 1sttoyotaparts.com? Came across a thread relating to problem with interval setting on wiper stalk appearing backwards for 2009 Tacomas. Any one have any thoughts or comments on this issue? I don't want to order the wrong part and I want to be sure it operates correctly. It is confusing as to which is the right part (see: https://www.1sttoyotaparts.com/partscat.html) as there are several types all with the same part # 84652-04141.

2. Jan 4, 2009 at 2:23 PM
    Vise4077

Vise4077 Member

Member:
  3. Jan 4, 2009 at 2:28 PM
    Marc M

Marc M Dirty White Boy

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Washington, Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD O/R Dbl-Cab
    TRD Cat-Back, TRD CAI, 3" Lift, ATX Chambers, Color matched Grille and Door Handles, Scooped Hood, GrillCraft upper and lower, DTRL, Foglight Mod, Redline Hood Struts, 20% Tint all around, SGII, Blacked out dash, Extang Full-Tilt, etc, etc, etc.

Compliments of Toyota Nation...

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=188195

Marc M

4. Jan 4, 2009 at 5:11 PM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    The oh so often linked to TN thread doesn't answer the question "Does the stalk that works on the 05 to 08s work on the 09?". The guys on TN don't have a yes or no answer yet either. (And why the heck do they get top billing when my guide is # 46? :rant:) If you really want to see what's involved in swapping out the stalk check out the more detailed OEM Intermittent wiper install which is hosted right here on TW complete with embedded pictures. :D I'm confident enough in the probability of the stalk working in an 09 that if I had a new truck I'd take the chance. Worst case if it doesn't work is you've wasted 15 minutes and it could be returned or sold to someone with an slightly older truck.

5. Jan 4, 2009 at 9:07 PM
    Vise4077

Vise4077 Member

Member:
    I compared the wiper wiring diagrams from the service manuals for the '08 and the '09s, and they're exactly the same. They even show the same connectors. I'd bet it'd work, if I were a betting man...

My wiper stem with the new part number I mentioned before will be in on Tuesday. I'll make sure to post my results when I get it done.

6. Jan 6, 2009 at 5:17 AM
    sammy

sammy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 Reg. Cab, Debadged Barcelona Red
    seat belt chime inter. wipers debadged canvas top (Bestop)
  7. Jan 6, 2009 at 11:55 AM
    Vise4077

Vise4077 Member

Member:
    Got my parts in this morning, and spent 10 minutes at lunch changing the wiper switch. Works like a champ. I did use part # 84652-02610, and it seems that this is the standard 2009 Tacoma part with the delay that seems to be backwards.

8. Jan 6, 2009 at 11:56 AM
    Anthony999

Anthony999 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Glendale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    MB Seven X Wheels, Hankook Optima Tires, Billet Grille, Blacked out headlights tailights and third brake light, LEER 700 Series tonneau cover, Blacked out emblems, Wolo air horn, Sony Xplod stereo, 8" Bazooka subwoofer, painted to match bumpers, leather arm rests.
    There was someone on Toyotanation and custom tacos that did it

9. Jan 6, 2009 at 11:57 AM
    atea

atea [OP] Member

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    grille painted to match body color (black sand pearl), bed mat, intermittent wipers installed, 14" shorty antenna.
    Thanks for the input. Regarding the issue of the switch appearing backwards, see the following link:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265605

Comments? This is what I was referring to in my initial post. Have any of you seen this? I will be curious to know if any one finds the same issue after installation.

10. Jan 6, 2009 at 12:09 PM
    atea

atea [OP] Member

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    I wonder if part # 84652-04141 as mentioned above by Roland in the link within his post also runs backwards in the 2009 Tacoma. Recent posts within this thread indicate that part # 84652-02610 runs backwards. It sure would be nice to know which is the correct part and whether it runs correctly. The other possibility is that Toyota has wired the receptacle switch for the wiper stalk incorrectly in the 2009s. Comments?

11. Jan 6, 2009 at 1:13 PM
    intel_killer

intel_killer Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Stripper
    I am curious about this too... I guess it wouldn't be a big deal, you will just have to remember that it is opposite of the diagram on the stalk.

12. Jan 6, 2009 at 4:07 PM
    Vise4077

Vise4077 Member

Member:
    When I put mine in earlier this afternoon, using the wiper switch with the new part number, the delay did work opposite as everyone has been saying with the 2009s.

If someone wants to be brave and try with the old part number, it may work correctly, but I should mention that I'm not a doctor, and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

13. Jan 9, 2009 at 11:58 AM
    atea

atea [OP] Member

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma

Was told today by Conicelli Toyota, Springfield, PA that only the stalk for the 09 will work in the 09. Part for previous years has completely different connectors. This info came from their Parts Dept. who spoke to one of their Techs.

14. Jan 9, 2009 at 12:42 PM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    I'll add the info about the new part# to my install guide if the rest of the install is identical. Otherwise I'll rename it to be an 05-08 guide. Please let me know.

Looks like the new switch comes complete with either crossed wires or a backward graphic. In the long run it's probably not a deal breaker if you want the intermittent wipers.

I'd take that with a grain of salt. If you ask the parts department for a part number for an intermittent stalk for a base truck they'll tell you it doesn't exist. They will also tell you that the part from a different truck won't work. Hey Vise4077 did the connecters on your stalk look like the ones in my pictures?

As for the Tech being any smarter than the parts guys. After having issues with an oil change and tire rotation service I had one insist that my truck needed the 7 quarts of oil he added while overfilling my engine (which magically returned to exactly the full line on the dipstick when he had the truck in the service bay for 20 minutes while I was waiting for the service manager to finish with another happy customer) and that the reason the tires on my truck had 31 and 30.5 PSI on the drivers side and 27.5 and 27.5 on the passenger side is that my pressure gauge isn't calibrated as accurately as his. I should also consider the scratched up center caps that he didn't bother removing before attacking them with an air gun as normal.

Granted that this is my personal service experience with Boch Toyota South. Lets assume your guys are better. :D

15. Jan 9, 2009 at 6:18 PM
    Vise4077

Vise4077 Member

Member:
    You can call it the 05-09 guide. The install was exactly the same. I'd just make a note about the different '09 part number.

From what I can tell, my '09 switch connectors look the same as the ones in your pictures, but I was basing my "same" determination on the connector diagrams from the service manual. I checked their connector drawings for the '07, '08, and '09, and they show the exact same connector.

I'd bet you could use the '05-'08 switch on the '09, but for my money I'd just use the '09 switch and accept it's "backwardness". But if anyone has the extra money to burn if it doesn't work, then I'd say "inquiring minds want to know".

ETA: I just checked the service manuals for '06-'09 Tacomas, and they all show the exact same connectors, even with the same part number. Thought it would help.

16. Jan 10, 2009 at 5:48 AM
    atea

atea [OP] Member

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    Vise4077--does this addendum to your posting mean that someone could clearly use part # 84652-04141 in the 2009 Tacoma as indicated by Roland in :

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/4838-cheap-free-mods-11.html#post82545

and expect that the connectors on the 2009 to fit? You say that the 06-09 have the "same part number"--I would say they should fit. Is this correct? Would it still be necessary to compare them side by side?

17. Jan 10, 2009 at 6:32 AM
    Rickochet

Rickochet Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma Access 2.7 4 x 2
    Added VS Wipers, Cruise Control, DRL, Undercover SE Bed Cover
    I have the 2 speed "dumb and dumber" switch on my '09 and have a question about the '09 VS wipers. Is it the switch graphics that are backwards or the actual operation of the switch? My other vehicles with VS wipers start at the longest interval setting and get shorter intervals the more you move the switch. Do the '09's VS wipers start at the shortest or longest setting as you go from off to int?

18. Jan 10, 2009 at 10:25 AM
    Vise4077

Vise4077 Member

Member:
    I'm one of those people who are very cautious about what I say in matters such as this. The connectors are the same, the part is similar. But until I actually know of someone using an 05-08 switch on a 09, I'm not going to say it will work, even though everything else says it will. I've spent too much time working on too many cars to do anything else.

Here are some links to the 06-09 wiper wiring diagrams. The second page of each pdf has the connector list. The connectors that plug into the wiper switch are connectors C12 and C13.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ntjw3ngotu0/ww-int2006.pdf
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/nnztinejjmz/ww-int2007.pdf
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/jqzj2ygyhun/ww-int2008.pdf
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/ezonifzghkz/ww-int2009.pdf

If you compare the diagrams side by side, you'll find the only difference between the 06-08 and the 09 is that they changed the direction that the wavy lines inside the relay are drawn. Otherwise, it's same diagram.

19. Jan 13, 2009 at 9:00 PM
    sunruner19

sunruner19 Senior Senile Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Great Sacandaga Lake region Northville NY, South Y
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4WD
    supercharger, ARE series 2 lid.
    I have an 09 reg cab Tacoma and I ordered the 08 switch 84652-04141. I will let you know tomorrow 01/14/09 whether it fits, and works correctly. If it doesnt, I can return this, exchange it for the 09 part number and we will see what that one does. If the 08 works backwards, as some say it might, it doesnt matter as long as I have intermittant. Another scenerio would be to pull one off of a 09 SR5 Tacoma at the dealership here, and replace it with my 2 speed stalk. We call that a misbuild and pull a warranty on it.
    Either way, I will let you know tomorrow and that should take care of the 09 fit question.

20. Jan 13, 2009 at 9:06 PM
    Hambone155

Hambone155 Well-Known Member

Member:
    omaha
    Vehicle:
    Causing Butthurt is my job
    port and polish intake manifold, supercharger, pulley for charger, lifted, tires, deckplate, (doing full engine build)
    wow not like tacoma to have a problem out of the gate. goodness its turning into a demestic. haha not! just a set back. i hope it allworks out and they comp the part money.

Products Discussed in

To Top