1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone else have these issues?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Silvertaco44, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Aug 14, 2016 at 3:25 PM
    Silvertaco44

Silvertaco44 [OP] Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma trd offroad
    I bought my 16 Tacoma trd offroad back in November. Since I have had the left rear cab mounting bolt come loose after 3 months. Leaf springs started squeeking very bad after 4 months and now it stalled on me at a stoplight with trans fluid temperature high. Each time I have taken it back to the dealership under warranty. Cab bolts have been retorqued, leaf springs have been replaced and transmission checked. Transmission was found to be 1.5 quarts low. They assured me that I would have no problems with it. Well it happened again just 15 miles later. I want my 08 Tacoma back! Only 19,000 on the ticker.

Chris24 and tomwil like this.
  2. Aug 14, 2016 at 3:30 PM
    smitty99

smitty99 I also bought a 4Runner

Member:
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    16 TRDORDCSB 4x4 A/T (loaded w/ JBL)
    6112s/5160s & 3-leaf AAL;ubolt flip kit;Superbumps
    First I've heard of the cab bolt coming loose? Have heard some complaints of bed alignment being off.

Leaf springs has been an issue for quite a few of us. Some people live with it and apply their own grease. My path was to continue to pester the dealer and toyota corporate until the Field Tech Rep came out to inspect my truck. In short, no official fix for this from Toyota yet. See a link here to one discussion on it: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/does-your-3g-trd-squeak.436964/page-11#post-12928127

@0uTkAsT had issues with his trans temp too. Where are you located?

Try the search function you will find a ton of stuff.

Silvertaco44[OP] likes this.
  3. Aug 14, 2016 at 3:37 PM
    Silvertaco44

Silvertaco44 [OP] Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma trd offroad
    I just now searched. Reading up issues with the transmission temp and leaf spring. Is there an actual poll or something to keep track of how common these issues are?

4. Aug 14, 2016 at 3:38 PM
    Iamraiderpower

Iamraiderpower Well-Known Member

Member:
    his trans temp issues were due to no trans cooler if I recall correctly

2016Tacoman and CusterFan like this.
  5. Aug 14, 2016 at 3:39 PM
    Silvertaco44

Silvertaco44 [OP] Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma trd offroad
    I am from new mexico

6. Aug 14, 2016 at 4:35 PM
    arkywally

arkywally Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRDOR
    ICON Stage4 285/70/17 Cooper STT Pro Method NV
    I will say this, either I am the luckiest 2016 Tacoma owner or some of these people who have bought a 16 are the unluckiest, maybe a bit of both. But I purchased my TRDOR 4x4 last November, made in San Antonio...pre TSB I was doing fairly well but knew this truck had more to it, post TSB I see it and feel it...but its a jap truck..used to be made of melted coors cans..or at least I thought so in the past, their a little pricier now with the technology adds and the steel is still sub par, case in point leaf springs. I knew what I may encounter before I bought my 3rd gen because I have owned 3 other Toyotas....all highly reliable with zero issues, the 077-16 TSB was the first TSB or recall that I have ever encountered that made a difference from any manufacturer.....in the last 40 years or more or car purchases.

Point being is I have had zero issues minus the TSB that I was effected by, hardly not to be ignored on any new release of anything, let me say that again "any new release of anything" including cars, software updates, hardware, and even toys...yep..think about it.

Especially a motor vehicle with the tech innovations coming at you from all angles, so I can live with it as long as it is taken care of without any inconvenience to me. When and if that happens I will be that unhappy customer, but I will probably not make it a national incident or come back at ya with my inconvenience. .....notes from a happy owner, I feel for you unlucky ones.

7. Aug 14, 2016 at 4:38 PM
    aero90

aero90 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR 4x4 M/T - Sold
    Can you find out what they are doing to tighten the cab bolts (are they tightening the nut on the bottom or the bolt in the cab under the carpet?) and what torque spec they use? I can't find it in the service manual.

8. Aug 14, 2016 at 5:14 PM
    jsinnard

jsinnard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    16 QS DCLB OR 4X4
    I posted this in the other thread but I'll move it to here.

As for the stalling, I think it sounds like another CPS and in New Mexico too just like the guy in the other thread. My guess is either placement of the component is causing more heat than they can take or a bad batch of CPS from the supplier that isn't meeting operational specs in some of these extreme environments. OP said he was driving in the mountains in New Mexico and I'm sure the heat is killing these things. My brother and I each had one go out in different cars of the same make in the summer heat. If you look up the CPS sensors you can see they're more prone to failure in the summer. Just need to determine if its the part itself that's inferior or the placement of the part is causing it to fail. I don't know of anyone having multiple failures after the first one has been replaced but it's something to look out for.

Of those that have already failed it's a shame the parts weren't recorded by manufacturer lot number for failure analysis to rule that out. Most times the faulty parts are just given to the owner and discarded with nothing recorded other than the part itself.

As for the leaf springs, that's a carryover from the 2nd gen where they have a TSB. These being the 3rd gen they are not subjected to the same TSB for replacement / repair but may be replaced under warranty depending on the dealer. Some dealers might not be willing to replace because they say the condition is due to dry leaf springs and will suggest keeping them lubricated. Their reason being if they replaced them with the same parts the problem will develop again with the new spring and you won't be happy and will bring the truck back again. It's up to you and the dealer in how you want to work it out but dusty environments amplify the condition.

I think one other member had to have his cab realigned because it was not quite true to the frame but a quick trip to the dealer corrected that issue under warranty.

9. Aug 14, 2016 at 5:20 PM
    Lawfarin

Lawfarin Who me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Beetle Juice
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2024 GMC Sierra
    Anytime the dealer replace the cps sensor the part gets returned. You can bet your bottom dollar Toyota is tracking the sensors to see if it in fact is a bad batch or design/manufacturing issue. However the consumer may never know. If the part gets superseded then that's an indication of a redesign, if it's a bad batch they just scrap them and replace them with new ones

10. Aug 14, 2016 at 5:25 PM
    Friggin Fuego

Friggin Fuego Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 Toyota Land Cruiser, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser 6MT 4x4, 1988 Toyota Hilux SSR Diesel 5MT 4x4
    15 left stranded by my count....

11. Aug 14, 2016 at 5:25 PM
    jsinnard

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    16 QS DCLB OR 4X4
    Returned to the customer or back to the Toyota mothership for analysis? Curious how they track manufacture lot numbers if the batches may have been sent to both assembly plants and installed on random trucks on the line. I assume the CPS are outsourced by another manufacturer also and likely not made by Toyota.

12. Aug 14, 2016 at 5:26 PM
    jsinnard

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    16 QS DCLB OR 4X4
    Last two haven't been confirmed yet but the symptoms are the same. We know the last two were New Mexico, since you've been tracking the others, any geographical coincidence?

13. Aug 14, 2016 at 5:28 PM
    Friggin Fuego

Friggin Fuego Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 Toyota Land Cruiser, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser 6MT 4x4, 1988 Toyota Hilux SSR Diesel 5MT 4x4
    Now that you mention it, I haven't kept track of locations, but I will from this point forward.

jsinnard[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Aug 14, 2016 at 5:29 PM
    Lawfarin

Lawfarin Who me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Beetle Juice
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2024 GMC Sierra
    Dealers have to return the defective parts back to Toyota for warranty. Toyota reviews these parts. They all have the lot codes and manufacturing numbers on them. That's how they get traced. They have an engineer look at them to determine the cause of failure. Everything gets logged. So if they get several or more they know there is a big problem and they can address it from there

jsinnard[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Aug 15, 2016 at 6:59 AM
    jsinnard

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    16 QS DCLB OR 4X4
    Were you the one wheeling in 120 degree weather with low airflow to the radiator and had the overheating problem?

I remember a little about the situation but don't remember who it was.

16. Aug 15, 2016 at 7:11 AM
    smitty99

Member:
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    I swear someone posted a thread titled "trans codes that work" on this

17. Aug 16, 2016 at 7:07 PM
    Silvertaco44

Silvertaco44 [OP] Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma trd offroad
    I picked up the truck today from the dealer. As everyone had suspected it was the CPS sensor. I'm glad that's over with. I hope. Hunting season is coming up and I don't want to have any issues in the woods.

smitty99 likes this.
  18. Aug 16, 2016 at 7:09 PM
    smitty99

Member:
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    :popcorn:

19. Aug 17, 2016 at 6:21 AM
    Murrayb4

Murrayb4 Internet Toyota Tech

Member:
    Downingtown, PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Blazing Blue TRD Sport DCSB with 3 pedals
    Custom cracked windshield

Attached is a picture of the revised sensor.
    If you don't have the mark shown at the 3 o'clock position, you MAY have a defective sensor.
    I'm 100% not saying that without the mark you have a faulty one.. But the ones with the mark are known good. (Later production, revised part)

Toyota knows, it could be a TSB in the future, depending on how many vehicles are affected. No official word yet, but toyota knows about it and are now informing the dealerships on what to look for.

image.jpg

2016Tacoman likes this.
  20. Aug 17, 2016 at 6:52 AM
    smitty99

Member:
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    But if it's a TSB that means it has to actually demonstrate symptoms (in this case failure) in order to replace it. Only recalls get called back in for automatic replacement is my understanding.

Products Discussed in

To Top